If you had it to do over again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Hi everyone! If you had your remodel to do over again or you could add one more thing to your little fiberglass RV, what would it be? (besides a bathroom) I'm talking about a 13 foot trailer. As we are remodeling, we would like to do any additions or modifications NOW instead of wishing we had done them while things were in pieces. Thanks, Roger and Bonnie
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought my trailer used, so I got what I got. BUT, everytime I'm inside a Scamp with overhead cabinets that ring the ceiling...I drool. Mine has none. It would be nice to have that extra storage for light-weight stuff...from an extra box of tissue to socks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I bought my trailer used, so I got what I got. BUT, everytime I'm inside a Scamp with overhead cabinets that ring the ceiling...I drool. Mine has none. I would be nice to have that extra storage for light-weight stuff...from an extra box of tissue to socks!
The overhead cabinets can be purchased from Scamp. You'd just have to install them.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
The overhead cabinets can be purchased from Scamp. You'd just have to install them.
Already checked Byron. Mine is the Deluxe model made with Maple. Scamp said they wouldn't guarantee the cabinets would fit properly. Seems the original purchaser had the bed made oversized. Consequently the back cabinets would be some what larger than standard. Good thought tho...might work for others
Old 10-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Donna

I have the cabinets from 4 kitchen remodel jobs in my garage. Among them are the small cabinets that fit above the refridgerator in an apartment. Perhaps I can rework them for you???

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I would have done the front dinette mod earlier.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 1970 Boler
fridge and a furnace.....
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I purchased mine new. I wish I would have have two more lights installed. Location in the bottom of the overhead cabinet at the rear of the trailer, in the corners. That would put them over the dinnet. Or at least had wire run into that cabinet.

I guess if I was starting with a clean slate I'd make sure I had 12volts wired to every corner of the trailer and on sperate circuits.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I have always wondered how a front kitchen might work, with sleeping-dining over the wheel wells and a rear bath.

Or rear kitchen and front bath.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Hi everyone! If you had your remodel to do over again or you could add one more thing to your little fiberglass RV, what would it be? (besides a bathroom) I'm talking about a 13 foot trailer.

Roger, I have a 13 foot Boler and I think the first thing I would make sure I had was a 12v self primeing water pump.
Even if I had no hot water (although if I could spare the room I would have one of these too) it would be nice to not have to use the hand-pump to get water,while boondocking. to do dishes, without walking in the rain for a bucket at the steam.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... I think the first thing I would make sure I had was a 12v self primeing water pump.
As I mentioned in a post in [b]Electric Water Pump, another option is a foot-operated pump. This might be good for people who are trying to minimize power requirements, and is particularly suited to a system with only cold water.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
As we are remodeling, we would like to do any additions or modifications NOW instead of wishing we had done them while things were in pieces. Thanks, Roger and Bonnie
I have had my 1990 13' Scamp 2 days and I have already bought a water pump. Unless I can find a better deal locally in the next few days I am going to order a gas instant water heater off of ebay.
I am running 12v wires to the front and rear overhead cabinets for LED lites.
When I get these 3 jobs done my Egg will be just like I want it. I have been thinking of solar panels, but that is for the future.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Some, we had already thought of. We have been working on turning the front bunk into a small dinette this week. It's going a little slow as we have to make everything to fit from scratch. We're moving the driver side seat over towards the door about 5 inches and trimmed that much off the passenger side seat. That gives the person sitting by the stove more room to get into their seat and will add storage behind the seat. We're extending the kitchen countertop into the corner behind the seat for more storage space and making access throught the back of the seat. We picked up a little wall mount folding table at an RV store and it will just fit between the two new bench seats.

The bed will be made up all the time and we are adding a shelf off the kitchen counter over the foot of the bed.

We're adding extra lights front and rear, extra plug-ins and an instant hot water dispenser and electric/12volt water pump. We're replacing the 3 burner stove with a two burner and putting it in sideways, leaving enough room between cooktop and sink for a small utensil drawer.

Adding a small outside cargo door on the driver's side to access the storage compartment under the foot of the bed.

Now--if I could just figure out how to squeeze in a shower and flush toilet

Bonnie and Roger in WA
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
I have always wondered how a front kitchen might work, with sleeping-dining over the wheel wells and a rear bath.

Or rear kitchen and front bath.

Loren
When we first started this project I did a lot of doodling and the front kitchen idea crossed my mind, but my husband didn't want to doTHAT much body work to the trailer. That would have been a lot of LARGE holes to patch and then figure out where to cut the new ones. Good thought though. Bonnie
Old 11-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Adding a small outside cargo door on the driver's side to access the storage compartment under the foot of the bed.

Now--if I could just figure out how to squeeze in a shower and flush toilet

Bonnie and Roger in WA
You just reminded my of the other thing I wanted to do. I am going to add an outside door into the area under one of the rear seats so I can store the jack handle and assorted wood blocks for the rear stabilizer jacks.

Thank,
John
Old 11-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
You just reminded my of the other thing I wanted to do. I am going to add an outside door into the area under one of the rear seats so I can store the jack handle and assorted wood blocks for the rear stabilizer jacks.

Thank,
John

We just bought a small one with a lock off E-Bay last week. It has to be pretty small to fit the curve of the trailer. I think there were still about 40 available. (Item # 4614813362) It does have a gap around the door opening which will need a seal of some sort. It was $10 plus shipping of $7 I think.

Bonnie
Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #17

I just thought of something else I wish I had in my trailer...a Fantastic Fan! Gotta add that to my list of stuff I want to add to my '88.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I just thought of something else I wish I had in my trailer...a Fantastic Fan! Gotta add that to my list of stuff I want to add to my '88.
Hi: Which model are you going to get...The one for thin wall construction???Remote control ???or just plain old fan. fan??? In the mean time you will just have to learn the "fan dance" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi: Which model are you going to get...The one for thin wall construction???Remote control ???or just plain old fan. fan??? In the mean time you will just have to learn the "fan dance" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Probably this one: FANTASTIC 4000R Vent, It's not like I'd have to walk 40' to turn the thing on
Old 11-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
We just bought a small one with a lock off E-Bay last week. It has to be pretty small to fit the curve of the trailer. I think there were still about 40 available. (Item # 4614813362) It does have a gap around the door opening which will need a seal of some sort. It was $10 plus shipping of $7 I think.

Bonnie
Thank you Bonnie,
I just ordered one. I will have to mount the red marker light on the door since it will cover that area. You saved me a 50 mile drive to the nearest RV store and probably some money.

Thanks again,
John