If you have a BAD back.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
If you have a BAD back....

...what mods have you made to make things easier FOR YOURSELF, or so you aren't in pain? I really hesitate to get married just so I'll have someone to tell what to do for me.

MonB
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic011.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	81271
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
...what mods have you made to make things easier FOR YOURSELF, or so you aren't in pain? I really hesitate to get married just so I'll have someone to tell what to do for me.

MonB
This is the #1 comfort and convenience item which I made for my Scamp 13, It is a wraparound couch with an adjustable bridge.
The table (of which there are two) is easily adjusted while in use and converts much easier than the stock table.
The main table is 20"X30" which allows it to swivel while in place to get it out of the way to sit down and adjust its proximity to the sitter. It can be removed and stashed also to have just a couch, The bridge portion can extend from 24" to 30" to allow for lounging and is much easier for getting up and down from the couch.
When traveling alone you can make a 30"+ bunk and still leave the table in place.
We also have a "Snack" table when desired which is 14"X14".
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0198.JPG   DSCF0201.JPG  

scamp pictures 015.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I try to do things in a way to minimize the pain, but regardless it's always there. I haven't come up with any effective mods. I do use knee pads or a flat pad to kneel on when setting my stabilizing jacks to eliminate bending over. Bad knees too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Memory foam mattress topper.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Electric tongue jack
Drill run stabilizer feet
Memory foam
Chocks with string attached so I can pull out
Level camp spots
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Minnesota
We have tried memory foam, new cushions, and other foams with little or no difference. One of our older neighbors ( I am 70 and they are all older) told me to throw out the extra foam and get a good feather tick no less than 6" thick. We spent the money and it is wonderful, gentle support, soft, warm when needed and cool in warm weather. They pack down small but have a large price.
minnfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I have a bad back so we replaced the cushions with the highest quality upholstery foam we could find for the cushions with the density set for sleeping not sitting.

The second is to make the table as easy as possible move from the up to down position. I am using the legs shown below and love them.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
If I had a bad back I would try to figure out an easier way to make the bed, either by using a TravaSack, sleeping bags, or some other way to avoid tucking in the far corners of the sheets.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I do have a bad back, and it's one of the reasons we got the trailer. Setting up and taking down a tent and sleeping on an air mattress got to be too much.

No mods, but two things help. First, take everything slowly. Second, get a tow vehicle with the most supportive seats you can. Driving is far harder on my back than camping.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Name: Mark
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I got a cordless variable speed drill with the correct size socket to help raise and lower the 4 stabilizer legs on my Escape 19. I keep it in the trailer and it's come in handy for other tasks too. Leaning down with the hand crank to raise/lower the stabilizers was a major strain on my back. Before I'd work up a sweat. Much easier now.
Marks Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
StrongBack folding chairs. For me the problem is lumbar and at the Algonac rally Bob Ruggles had me try out one of his chairs. I could actually feel the area between my hip and knee transition to feeling normal as I sat in the chair. Not sure how it would work on back pain higher up but for lumbar it rocks.

Strongback Chairs — The most comfortable folding chair

Tend to think car seats and bed will have the most impact since sleeping and driving are both long duration activities. But once I get there I'm sitting in my chair a whole bunch.

Pack stuff in small manageable containers. Instead of one big plastic tub of clothes or whatever use two smaller ones. I find loading up and moving stuff to get to other stuff can be a lot of strain.

Last item - keep on going. Do as much as you can for as long as you can tolerate it. Moving parts don't rust as fast as stationary ones.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote