Improving door fit due to body sag - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Triple E Surfside
here are some more photos of the repair. I will try to get some of the finished repair soon
Attached Thumbnails
0c73.jpg   4fc4.jpg  

8c02.jpg   75e1.jpg  

GuyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #22

more photos
Attached Thumbnails
75e1.jpg   3790.jpg  

Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #23

hope these help
Attached Thumbnails
f1ab.jpg   096b.jpg  

Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #24

I see lots of people are looking at the photos. good to see but any comments, opinions, or ideas?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
In hindsight in following the problem with other posts since my mod, two more solutions come to mind. Jean-L reported that his door fit much better after replacing the floor. So check your floors. Plus check your rivets everywhere else. I am tempted to think that attaching the door side of the body to a wooden "semi wall" like that used in many screen door mods, might just do the same thing as my fix.

Also, have a look at where the body attaches to the frame at the bottom of the door on the both sides. In some models there is a small piece of plywood between the two that comes loose, is rotted or is missing.

Also check your frame for cracks.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Boler door sag

Our 72 Boler American is having a saggy door problem. We are not sure if it is primarily worn out hinges. I'm sure others have dealt with this issue. I seem to recall lengthy door-related discussions but haven't been able to track them down. We had several wonderful adventures over the summer in our little Boley and want to deal with some of these problems over the winter so we'll be all ready for spring. thanks for any help you might be able to direct me to. Sara
sara maccalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #27

Hi Sara and welcome!
Very happy to see that you have posted your serial # in the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-42676-4.html thread.

Here is a link to my lengthy post on the door problem a few years back.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sag-34620.html

Somebody recently posted some youtube links of a frame off boler restoration.

The person pretty much explains what I now believe to be a major part of the problem 2-3 minutes into the video.

If you look at yours, chances are there is a small piece of plywood at the bottom of the door hinge side of the body that has come loose. It is shown in this picture here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...3&d=1217987908

His suggestion is to place a single piece of wood all the way up to strengthen the body and allow for the "screen door" mod.

IMHO, this is probably the most cost efficent way of solving the problem. After you have checked your frame for cracks. Replacing the balls on your hinges and making sure your hinges are not loose also helps.

Roy
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #28

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I definitely have this problem, but all of this looks beyond my skill level for fixing. Is this something an RV place could fix? If not, any advice on finding someone/someplace to fix it?
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #29

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya View Post

I'll be curious to hear others' comments on the search feature though.

Raya
I find "search" here almost impossible to use except by the "that rings a bell" system Donna describes.
I think the difficulty is in large part due to the lack of accurate, predictably "search-relevant" tags. In fact, many threads (including this one) have no tags at all; while those tags that do exist are often so general as to be of very little use for future searchers.
It looks like only the Original Poster can apply tags, and perhaps many don't think to do so. Consideration might be given to allowing others to tag threads, or even forming a "tag team" to see that it's done in a way most compatible with the site search engine.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #30

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I find "search" here almost impossible to use except by the "that rings a bell" system Donna describes.
I think the difficulty is in large part due to the lack of accurate, predictably "search-relevant" tags. In fact, many threads (including this one) have no tags at all; while those tags that do exist are often so general as to be of very little use for future searchers.
It looks like only the Original Poster can apply tags, and perhaps many don't think to do so. Consideration might be given to allowing others to tag threads, or even forming a "tag team" to see that it's done in a way most compatible with the site search engine.

Francesca
I have found that if you use the "advanced search" option and then click on "search titles only" it works quite well.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #31

Quote:
In fact, many threads (including this one) have no tags at all; while those tags that do exist are often so general as to be of very little use for future searchers.
It looks like only the Original Poster can apply tags, and perhaps many don't think to do so.
This and many other posts were composed and posted long before tags were available on the site. I'll gladly add tags to any of my posts with the proper recommendations. If you want to wait for me to post them on my own, you will have to wait until I figure out how tags best work and then find my many, many posts.

So how would you tag it? boler, boler American, Scamp, door, warped door, warped body, body sag, frame crack, rotten floor, poor design?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The best thing (IMHO) people can do is give the Title of the thread some value by being specific about what the topic contains. Merely saying "I need help," or other nonsense does not help. I use the custom Google search, opened in a separate tab, to search for info: Google Custom Search - Fiberglass RV Forum Custom Search
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #33

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
My best results come from using the Google Search feature
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
So how would you tag it? boler, boler American, Scamp, door, warped door, warped body, body sag, frame crack, rotten floor, poor design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The best thing (IMHO) people can do is give the Title of the thread some value by being specific about what the topic contains. [/url]
Hi, Roy,

The care with which you've composed the title of this thread is a good example of Donna's recommendation. You've managed to include the words most likely to be used as search terms by a seeker attempting to solve a problem similar to the one you discuss. Search terms "door fit" and "body sag" both lead almost immediately to this thread using Google Custom Search. "Boler door" and "warped door" seem to me to be other likely search terms if you're thinking of adding tags.

Francesca

Off Topic P.S. to ANYONE:

I've been waiting for "IMHO" to pop up (again!) so I can ask: what the heck does that mean?
Whenever I see it a whole list of possibilities runs through my head, none of which makes sense- even to me!

F.K.K.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #35

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
"in my humble opinion", often not so humble.

And yes, I agree, good thread names are critical. This one is an excellent example.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
"in my humble opinion", often not so humble.

Well, no wonder I couldn't figure it out!

Francesca
Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Try this.

Internet Slang words beginning with I - InternetSlang.com

Bill K

Quote:

Well, no wonder I couldn't figure it out!

Francesca
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #38

Quote:
The care with which you've composed the title of this thread is a good example of Donna's recommendation. You've managed to include the words most likely to be used as search terms by a seeker attempting to solve a problem similar to the one you discuss.
Thank you Francesca,

That's what we had to do in the old days before "tags" existed in the newer software. Sometimes it would take me as long to come up with a title as it would to compose a post. Usually the composition came 1st, which then provided clues to the most appropriate title.

FYI the older software had a better built in search function, aside from tags, which I presume makes up for the difference.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #39

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Missouri
Roy, was this the video that you spoke of on the phone? Do you know of a how to on the installation of the plywood? I having a hard time understanding how to install it.

Thanks
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #40

Jason,

That is exactly the video I spoke of.

If anybody want to see the importance if the various inner components on the structural integrity of the trailer they should see the next or 3rd video in Riverport Rovers boler series.

Now for the plywood I spoke of, it is the piece in the picture below. You should see something like this once you remove your front bench. It is sort of framed by the 3 wires in the picture and screwed to the sheet metal of the frame with the screws you see. On the backside on mine it was very poorly glassed on the backside to the fiberglass that extends to the bottom of the hinge side of the door opening.

What is shown above applies to the boler American. It may or may not apply to other bolers and Scamps. I can’t say for certain which because I’ve seen a lot of variation of how various trailers were built in this area.

If you were just replacing the one piece Jason, you need to remove the front bench by removing the screws on the top of the bench near the front and side walls. Then you would undo the two screws going through the sheet metal. Chances are it will fall off from where the fiberglass is attached to it.

If I were tackling this job today, I would not do the aluminum frame around the door opening. I would replace the small piece of plywood with a much taller piece such that it would become part of a screen door mod. I’d use the new piece to replace the curved square metal tube that is on the hinge side of the door frame, carrying it all the way up to the roof. The finished product would look something like this taken from boler life’s screen door page. http://bolerlife.com/screendoor.html.

To do that you would have to notch out a piece of the elevated plywood floor at the front of the trailer under the bench. You might have to notch Z shaped metal of the frame in that area too. Plus you would have to notch the front bench. The notches could be supported by adding bracing to the side of the upright facing the front of the trailer.

It looks like james kent did a version of the screen door mod that did not require notching using 2 pieces for the upright.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/screen-door-25070.html#post44339
If you did it that way, you might not be able to get your front bench out without a lot more work.

There are lots of diagrams that show the uprights used in the screen door mod.
http://www.bolerama.org/screendoor.html
http://www.bolerama.org/scampscreendoor.html
Gord100’s screen door is oft quoted, but his web page is gone. Some pictures can been seen in this post from 2006 http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/screen-door-25070.html#post44401
Benny K used to have good pictures on webshots but they seem to have disappeared with him. Hopefully someone still has copies of the pictures and upload them to this thread.

Donna D. uploaded a PDF on screen doors in this post:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/screen-door-32015.html#post118533

If I were doing the screen door mod, I’d size and position the brace above the door to act as a shelf to hold a fire extinguisher on its side and a flashlight. On the upright nearest the door hinges, I’d allow for a shelf to tie into the front overhead cabinet. I'd also incorporate brackets to help support the door hinges on the body.

Hope this helps.

Tags
boler