Improving door fit due to body sag - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #15

Name: Brandy
Quote:
I have also thought about the hinges, that a person with a couple of 7/16" wrenches could open the door, locked or not. However it might save the trailer some body damage if I lose my key!!!

During my first trip to Ft. Langley I locked myself out of my trailer rather late at night.....we sat and pondered how to "break in" finally I said ...lets take the door off.....worked like a charm and I think a few were rather surprised how easy it is...if someone wants in they wouldn't be so kind I'm sure....

Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1974
Hello
New to the site, as my boyfriend and i recently bought a 1974 boler. We are having a similar door sag problem. The body has warped in the upper left corner (from inside) and is quite visible. The door barely closes and pops open quite often.
Although we have many other fixes we'd like to get started on, this one is the most signifigant as the mosqitoes are unrelenting in our neck of the woods.
If anyone has any less time consuming or less expensive (I'm a second year apprentice and My boyfrind is a full time logger) methods for this problem could they please let me know?
Thanks for any help!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quick Fix
Check your frame for cracks then check your floor for rot. If both are OK and the door is aligned to the opening from side to side, do one of the fixes to bend the door. If not remove the hinges from the door and reposition it in the opening and reassess the situation.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
If the front left side of the trailer is warped up, concider shimming the front right. If it is warped down, then shim the left side. But, concider that there is a reason it is warped and if it is because the frame is cracked, it might not be road worthy. My trailer frame almost cracked all the way through which would have been disasterous.

Quote:
Hello
New to the site, as my boyfriend and i recently bought a 1974 boler. We are having a similar door sag problem. The body has warped in the upper left corner (from inside) and is quite visible. The door barely closes and pops open quite often.
Although we have many other fixes we'd like to get started on, this one is the most signifigant as the mosqitoes are unrelenting in our neck of the woods.
If anyone has any less time consuming or less expensive (I'm a second year apprentice and My boyfrind is a full time logger) methods for this problem could they please let me know?
Thanks for any help!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Triple E Surfside
I just built out the trailer to the door
Attached Thumbnails
trailer_door_repair1.jpg   door_repair_near_completion.jpg  

Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	cord_is_not_holding_the_door_open.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	25923

more pics
Click image for larger version

Name:	door_repair_bondocoat.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	25921

I used a long hair fiberglass (from bondo) built up multiple layers around the door frame where there was gapping and used an angle grinder to shape it to the door shape then a final coat of Red bondo for the finish then primed and spray painted the repairs and then just used a flat peel and stick foam on the door itself and voila!! sealed door good for dust and water took a couple of nights and some beers
Attached Thumbnails
how_it_came.jpg   cord_is_not_holding_the_door_open.jpg  

Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #21

here are some more photos of the repair. I will try to get some of the finished repair soon
Attached Thumbnails
0c73.jpg   4fc4.jpg  

8c02.jpg   75e1.jpg  

Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #22

more photos
Attached Thumbnails
75e1.jpg   3790.jpg  

Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #23

hope these help
Attached Thumbnails
f1ab.jpg   096b.jpg  

Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #24

I see lots of people are looking at the photos. good to see but any comments, opinions, or ideas?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #25

Ontario
In hindsight in following the problem with other posts since my mod, two more solutions come to mind. Jean-L reported that his door fit much better after replacing the floor. So check your floors. Plus check your rivets everywhere else. I am tempted to think that attaching the door side of the body to a wooden "semi wall" like that used in many screen door mods, might just do the same thing as my fix.

Also, have a look at where the body attaches to the frame at the bottom of the door on the both sides. In some models there is a small piece of plywood between the two that comes loose, is rotted or is missing.

Also check your frame for cracks.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #26

Name: Sara
Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Montana
Boler door sag

Our 72 Boler American is having a saggy door problem. We are not sure if it is primarily worn out hinges. I'm sure others have dealt with this issue. I seem to recall lengthy door-related discussions but haven't been able to track them down. We had several wonderful adventures over the summer in our little Boley and want to deal with some of these problems over the winter so we'll be all ready for spring. thanks for any help you might be able to direct me to. Sara
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #27

Ontario
Hi Sara and welcome!
Very happy to see that you have posted your serial # in the How many Boler AMERICANS are out there? thread.

Here is a link to my lengthy post on the door problem a few years back.
Improving door fit due to body sag

Somebody recently posted some youtube links of a frame off boler restoration.
YouTube - Riverport Rovers Boler Trailer Refit Part 2

The person pretty much explains what I now believe to be a major part of the problem 2-3 minutes into the video.

If you look at yours, chances are there is a small piece of plywood at the bottom of the door hinge side of the body that has come loose. It is shown in this picture here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...3&d=1217987908

His suggestion is to place a single piece of wood all the way up to strengthen the body and allow for the "screen door" mod.

IMHO, this is probably the most cost efficent way of solving the problem. After you have checked your frame for cracks. Replacing the balls on your hinges and making sure your hinges are not loose also helps.

Roy
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #28

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I definitely have this problem, but all of this looks beyond my skill level for fixing. Is this something an RV place could fix? If not, any advice on finding someone/someplace to fix it?

Tags
boler