Inexpensive 4" on-center pull-out faucet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Inexpensive 4" on-center pull-out faucet

I've been wanting to install a pull-out faucet in my vintage Bigfoot trailer's galley sink for awhile now but found them to be prohibitively expensive through RV channels. It's a small sink with 4-inch on-center holes, like a household bathroom sink. The faucets I could find in the RV parts channels all seemed to be in the $150 to $200 range and without even being able to look at one in person first, I wasn't willing to take the risk.

But recently I noticed a number of manufacturers have released a pull-out faucet for laundry sink use, which generally have the same 4-inch on-center arrangement as a lavatory sink. There are a number of eBay sellers that have them from anywhere between $26 and $60 but again, I wanted to see one in person before I committed.

A few days ago while browsing the aisles at Home Depot I saw a Glacier Bay version of this faucet for $46.00. Glacier Bay is Home Depot's house (private label) faucet brand and I've always had decent luck with them in home-use. They aren't high-end by any stretch of the imagination but for as little as I use my trailer, only a few times a year, I figured it would be adequate considering the reasonably low investment.

It was an easy install. I only had to drill a center hole for the pull-out hose through the counter top, which took three drill bits and about 5 minutes of my time. The faucet is a perfect fit and a nice size for the sink in my trailer and should make dish washing easier and more water efficient.

The faucet is not highly rated on the HD web site but one thing I've learned over time about HD ratings is that a lot of times the "weekend warrior" types that shop at HD sometimes have unrealistic expectations of the things they buy, or often don't have the skill to install them properly, and want to blame the item. I've bought many "poorly rated" items from HD that installed and worked just fine for me so I take the reviews there with a grain of salt.

I'm just passing this on for anyone who is looking for an inexpensive solution to a pull-out faucet upgrade for a 4-inch on-center sink. Instead of looking through RV supply channels, look for a laundry sink faucet. They seem to be pretty prolific through home improvement channels these days. Here's a link to the Glacier Bay version from HD. Photo of it installed in my Bigfoot is attached.

Glacier Bay 2-Handle Pull-Out Sprayer Kitchen Faucet in Chrome-JY5020364 at The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_9242_pull_out_faucet.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice mod Mike, did you have any problems with the hose under the counter being able to move freely ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Alaska
Registry
Dave,

I was worried about that when I first did the install but so far no issues. Admittedly though, with a sink this small I don't have to pull it out very far to get what I need.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We have pull out faucet on the kitchen sink at home and after living with it I would not any other kind of sprayer. Thanks for the heads up on this version.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler
Inexpensive 4" on-center pull-out faucet

I had that tap in our boler. Very nice. Would like to get one for our Bigfoot one day
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Be a little careful about installing Glacier Bay fixtures. Yes, they offer a very good value for the money, but they may use proprietary valve parts and, for the most part, Home Depot does not stock spare parts, such as volume and temp cartridges, for all Glacier Bay fixtures.

I once had to put new cartridges in a 5 year old Glacier Bay shower valve that was behind a tile wall and was told to "Just replace the entire fixture". After a bit of fussing, their corporate customer service, out of nowhere, shipped me two sets of spare cartridges.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler
Good to know. Thanks Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
bought one just like it for are's
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #9

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Be a little careful about installing Glacier Bay fixtures. Yes, they offer a very good value for the money, but they may use proprietary valve parts and, for the most part, Home Depot does not stock spare parts, such as volume and temp cartridges, for all Glacier Bay fixtures.
All true. As I said in the original post, Glacier Bay faucets are nowhere near high end. I figured with as little as I used it (a fraction of the use a home faucet gets) and as inexpensive as it would be to just replace the whole thing if necessary, there was little risk. If you full-time, durability and serviceability might be more of a concern. But for most people who use their TTs occasionally, even a cheap faucet should last many years as long as it isn't downright abused.

FWIW, none of the faucet manufacturers I looked into in the RV world make it easy to deal with on obtaining parts either. That's not to say there aren't any but I can probably buy four of these Glacier Bay faucets for the price of one that comes through the RV supply channels.