Inexpensive LED lights from IKEA - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Registry
i remember this beautiful mod! i wanted to do the same thing when i had my UHaul as a result of these photos, but i could never figure out how you got the lights to stay. sorry to hear they gave you trouble.

with my Play Pac, i will essentially do what you have done but lay the lights inside the channel that i will mount and glue to the wall so i will bypass fixing the actual lights themselves to anything. they can even just lay in there loose.

we are heading back to IKEA this weekend for more lights.
lets keep Kevin's useful thread going and updated with our LED projects!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
If I had let the adhesive on the hooks cure for a couple days I think it would have worked fine, I attached the rope itself using the tiny white wire ties around each hook. It was difficult to place the hooks where they needed to be without the rope light being up to keep things tight and where I wanted them. Just a word of warning if anyone wanted to try this method, let the adhesive on those hooks cure like the directions say, LOL.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for sharing Kevin. Great work. Do you have any photos of them mounted?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I see a trip to Ikea in the near future for us as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #19

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
You can buy online at IKEA. Shipping probably less than gas for most people.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
In lookint at the cataloge online I see that they carry several other led fixtures as well. What they don't say is if they are 12v or not. When I go down ill get to ay with them and will report back.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #21

California
Registry
i think they are all 110 - at least the 4 different kinds of LEDs i got are (reading table lamp, wall light bar, cabinet light - which we are returning (it turns on when it senses light but only for 10 seconds - we didn't realize this was its sole purpose), and 2 small golf-ball sized night lights. again, i didn't realize they were night lights only ... i was in LED bliss and got a little carried away.

of course, if you know IKEA, there is seldom much more than an interesting name on the package and thats usually about it.

since my wife is heading back this weekend we are returning the ones we dont want and get more of the ones we tested on our trip from Oregon. cant wait to see these things mounted and will post pics.

i think Kevin got out his wire snips and after some handy modification, turned his into 12 volt lights.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #22

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
On the other hand, it's worth a trip just for the Swedish meatballs (and to look around and see stuff in person,) if there's one relativley close.

I guess we are lucky, there's an Ikea in Tampa and Orlando.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #23

Registry
While you are there please check out the under cabinet adjustable spot lights for us. They look to have an aluminum housing and may run on 12v. I have a place for those as well as the ones you bought.
Thanks fors introducing these to us.
Markz
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #24

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
While you are there please check out the under cabinet adjustable spot lights for us. They look to have an aluminum housing and may run on 12v. I have a place for those as well as the ones you bought.
Thanks fors introducing these to us.
Markz
just picked 'em up! they are HEAVENLY! these were what we went back for, being so pleased with the performance of the other LEDS. they are little puck lights and each pops into a really sharp looking brushed aluminum mount. they gimbal about 25 degrees in any direction you tap them to. with my soffit lighting idea i decided i will actually not use the provided mounts, but instead flush-mount the light assembly into the soffits which will give these bad-boys the recessed box-light look.

since you can nudge them in any direction, i feel like they are the worlds coolest micro track lights. cant wait to install! they come wired for 110 - but are in fact 12V with this whole converter power-pack thing. if we use Kevin's idea to convert them back to 12V - viola!

somebody get me away from IKEA ... my Play Pac will look like the Goodyear Blimp in no time!

Good luck MarkZ - let me know if you need more info or photos of the kit.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Good luck MarkZ - let me know if you need more info or photos of the kit.
Yes please!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #26

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
Yes please!
ask and ye shall receive! of course, my camera phone skills arent pretty, but this should give you a better feel for these lights (than just the website photo).

you can see what i was talking about how each assembly snaps into a mount. they can be pitched (as pictured, i have it as far as it will go) in any direction. they put out an amazing mount of light (sorry for the lens flare - my phone camera could not handle the light regardless of what angle i took) and i think the set of four will be more than sufficient to light our Play Pac up nicely.

for anyone interested in buying online, be sure to get the 'Ansluta' cord that completes the line - i believe its $5. this is the only thing i think is kind of a nickel-and-dimer. they all need it so why not just include it? if you dont order it or get home without picking one up, i am sure it would be very disappointing ... and with how overstimulating the IKEA environment is, i am sure this happens a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.JPG   photo 2.JPG  

photo 3.JPG   photo 5.JPG  

photo 6.JPG   photo 7.JPG  

photo 8.JPG   cord.JPG  

Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #27

Registry
Thanks for the pics. They are axactly what we are looking to pick up.

Why do you need the extra wire kit if you are going to cut out the 12v converter and hardwire them into your existing 12v system?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #28

California
Registry
correct - they are 12V to begin with so we can copy Kevin's idea and snip them just before the driver, then run wire right to the fuse block.

i got the extra cord because this iteration of lighting has the on/off switch after the transformer (on the side with the plug). Kevin's model has the on off switch before the transformer (on the side that goes in the light). guess i could have just picked up a cheaper switch elsewhere. hmmm, might just do that since i will be adding several different lighting options. i might just install a small panel with rocker switches for different lighting combinations.

since we pass IKEA often it wont be a big deal to return the extra parts i dont end up using (that is anything i dont take wire cutters to!).

Tags
lights