I just got back from 10 days camping and tested a prototype of the Ikea lights
. As I was not hooked up to shorepower I simply ran the lights without the voltage regulator. I didn't use the lights during the day when the solar
typically would be charging my battery
at the higher voltages (if I had sun), only using them at night when the voltage was mostly in the 12.8V range (if I remember correctly). I was parked in 95% shade for the first 4 days, then 6 hours of sun, then back to 4 days of shade so the batteries weren't getting recharged too much over the course of the trip. I was too lazy to remove the panels from the roof and add the extension to get some sun.
I was farting around with the connections on the battery
and my monitor reset itself a few times so my best guess is that I was consuming about 8% of my battery
per day. I was "showing off" and had most of the interior lights, along with the two strings of boat lights (attached to my awning) turned on. I am guessing I ran my battery down to about 50% but will make sure to take better notes next time.
I did have the equipment to solder in the regulator but it was proving to be a little finicky so I thought best to leave it until I am back home with access to the shop. I think I will leave this one strip "as is" and then make some units with the voltage regulator. I'm guessing the regulator is more of a requirement if you are using the lights while charging your batteries via shore power at the higher voltages. Time will tell. I will compare over the next little while to see if this strip burns out. I figure for $13 I can afford to experiment.
Ikea Light Prototype - YouTube