Inexpensive LED lights from IKEA - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #43

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
I knew you had posted something a while back about varying voltages Peter and I was going to search for the thread to find out specifically what you had added for your lighting installation. (thanks for making the search easier)
Your suggestion of varying voltages is the thought that was in the back of my mind when I ran the tests while hooked up to to my charger. I wanted to see if the lights would "melt" once the voltage got up there.
I've added a credit to peterh at about 5:45 into the Ikea Light video as he did talk about these or something similar a few years back. I had forgotten, or had not paid attention at the time. They didn't come back on my radar until my brother-in-law mentioned them a few weeks back.

I will also be installing a voltage regulator as per peters previous postings. I will make a video, of course.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #44

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Alberta
Kevin - thanks for this thread. On my to-do list. Glad to see you are hitting up Active Electronics (or "Electron Hut" as I call it). The one place I can drag my daughter to because PM Hobby is across the road and she knows she'll get to go and spend my money if she comes along.

It looks like we are going to put our Bigfoot back in storage for Oct 1, so I'd better get crackin' on this project!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #45

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
You might want to check the data sheet for application notes as well. As I recall 78xx series regulators are prone to oscillation. Usually bypass capacitors are used across the input and output. Just a thought.
I haven't noticed oscillation in my installations, except when the water pump runs. I've considered installing a 220MFd capacitor and diode across the input and output to stabilize the light so it doesn't pulse when the pump kicks in.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #46

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
That would be my question, since the LEDs were designed for 120v AC use and you are changing them to DC, does that little voltage converter allow the LEDs to 'see' the AC or does it feed them DC?
I know the neon power testers which have two rods, only one will light up with DC whereas both do with AC.

BTW, that brings me to the reason our Federal Govmt is so goofed up. The whole country runs on AC but Washington is DC.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #47

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
That would be my question, since the LEDs were designed for 120v AC use and you are changing them to DC, does that little voltage converter allow the LEDs to 'see' the AC or does it feed them DC?
LEDs are low-voltage devices that only light up (or allow electricity to pass through) in one direction, so they're really a DC device to start with. High-quality household LED lighting use a small transformer and a rectifier circuit to convert the high-voltage variable, reversing voltages of AC household power into a steady, low-voltage and one way DC current supply. (Some household LED lights, Christmas light strings come to mind, skip this step, saving cost to the manufacturer but slightly reducing each LED's output.) The IKEA products come with a "wall wort" power supply that includes the transformer and rectifier.

The voltage regulator we're talking about here would burn out almost as fast as you turn it on if you provide it with AC power. Its sole job is to 'regulate" higher voltage inputs, 12.3v to 30v, down to a nice, steady 12v supply.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #48
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
I haven't noticed oscillation in my installations, except when the water pump runs. I've considered installing a 220MFd capacitor and diode across the input and output to stabilize the light so it doesn't pulse when the pump kicks in.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-VwjFK-ofU...600/LM78xx.jpg

A .1 mfd ceramic disc will do the job. From my experience perhaps one in ten will oscillate without it. I suspect a high gain amp inside and circuit layout to be the cause??? Raz
Old 09-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #49

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Alberta
Kevin - made it to active and picked up the necessary parts thanks to you and Raz - now I just need to get to IKEA and get the lights and find some time to rig them up! Looking forward to it - what a great resource this forum is!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #50

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
I just got back from 10 days camping and tested a prototype of the Ikea lights. As I was not hooked up to shorepower I simply ran the lights without the voltage regulator. I didn't use the lights during the day when the solar typically would be charging my battery at the higher voltages (if I had sun), only using them at night when the voltage was mostly in the 12.8V range (if I remember correctly). I was parked in 95% shade for the first 4 days, then 6 hours of sun, then back to 4 days of shade so the batteries weren't getting recharged too much over the course of the trip. I was too lazy to remove the panels from the roof and add the extension to get some sun.

I was farting around with the connections on the battery and my monitor reset itself a few times so my best guess is that I was consuming about 8% of my battery per day. I was "showing off" and had most of the interior lights, along with the two strings of boat lights (attached to my awning) turned on. I am guessing I ran my battery down to about 50% but will make sure to take better notes next time.

I did have the equipment to solder in the regulator but it was proving to be a little finicky so I thought best to leave it until I am back home with access to the shop. I think I will leave this one strip "as is" and then make some units with the voltage regulator. I'm guessing the regulator is more of a requirement if you are using the lights while charging your batteries via shore power at the higher voltages. Time will tell. I will compare over the next little while to see if this strip burns out. I figure for $13 I can afford to experiment.

Ikea Light Prototype - YouTube
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #51

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Not Ikea......but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev
The link listed the 1156 @$15 and I have about 14 to replace. I'd like to find them a little cheaper.
If you want bright lights to replace 1156 bulbs, give these a look.
White 102 LED bulb
The 1156 102 LED bulbs are a good choice.....and low cost. I had 4 of them arrive yesterday. Inside the TT they gave a bright white light with a slight tinge of blue. Outside in the porch light, etc, they gave off a very bright white light that was good for illuminating the surrounding area. That's where I'll use them.

I was looking to replace the florescent fixture over the TT sink. After much research, found the new Kaper-11 fixture LEDs. Perfect in my opinion. Double and single models available. Even a single unit with a Night Light built in. The light given off is a soft white light with no blue tinge. The lens cover has a pattern etched into it that helps soften the light and spread it out. Yes, replacing the whole fixture is pricey but I only have 4 to replace, so the upgrade will be worth it to me in my '05 Bigfoot. And they're on sale right now at Panther RV.

Panther RV Products

Kaper II LED Lights

Tags
lights