Inexpensive voltmeter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I hope you enjoy it Tom, but for me I don't like to buy cheap Chinese stuff. According to Amazon it's manufacture by Neewer Electronics. Chasing them down was almost impossible, but it appears they also go my epathchina. BBB rates Neewer with a big old F.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #16

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
The boat from China took about three weeks to reach Va. I ordered three, what the heck for that price. They are about 1/3 the size and about $10 cheaper than the Wally World China special battery monitor. They all seem to work OK and they all read the same voltage when plugged in. Good find.
Thanks Eddie

Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Hi Tom

I remembered you ordering this a little while ago, and I just placed an order for it, and it will be on a slow boat from China as well, but at $2.50 you cant beat the price. Glad it is working ok.
I wired a separate DC receptacle for it and will keep it plugged in all the time.
Just recd it today....took about a month but for the price, you cant beat it. It came by China Air Express and no sales tax, duty or customs.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Just recd it today....took about a month but for the price, you cant beat it. It came by China Air Express and no sales tax, duty or customs.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Warning: Harsh Words Ahead.....

Come On Guys (and Ladies) Is protecting your battery from overcharging and/or being run down and damaged only worth $2.50?????

Those little plug in gadgets are, basically, electronic junque that may or may not work or be accurate in a few days/week/months.

For not that many $ you can get a Voltminder that will be accurate to 2 decimal places and has settable alarms to warn you of overcharging and overuse leading to a dead/damaged battery. I have installed (meaning hard wired) at least a dozen of these over the past 2 years without any failures or problems. Here's a good source.
12V DC Volt Minder (71730)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #20

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Come On Guys (and Ladies) Is protecting your battery from overcharging and/or being run down and damaged only worth $2.50?????

Those little plug in gadgets are, basically, electronic junque that may or may not work or be accurate in a few days/week/months.

For not that many $ you can get a Voltminder that will be accurate to 2 decimal places and has settable alarms to warn you of overcharging and overuse leading to a dead/damaged battery. I have installed (meaning hard wired) at least a dozen of these over the past 2 years without any failures or problems. Here's a good source.
Well, since I am the OP, I guess you are talking to me. I happen to think that for $2.50 it is a heck of a lot better than what most people have, which is nothing. Nobody claimed it was as good as a Volt Minder, but the test that I ran and posted convinced me that it is reasonably accurate.

If you want to spend more, go ahead. I'll continue to post opportunities and let the adults here make their own buying decisions.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Actually I was addressing anyone that wa reading the posts before and/or after mine.
I have been working on RV's (Motorhomes and trailers) for years and can't count the number of those plug-in battery voltage meters I have tossed for gross inaccuracy

Because most users don't have anything to verify their accuracy with at purchase or later down the road, they are placing the health of their charging system and batteries in care of something that isn't known to be all that accurate.

I have seen them read as much as 3 volts low and high and, in a game where .5 volts can be critical.

In my book, thin thought it may be, having nothing is better than having something that may not be accurate, and I have seen a lot of them that weren't. And it's not like the real thing is as expensive as a new Fluke meter.....
Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
OK, we have been duly scolded.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
There is quite the snipe hunt going based on readings from one of these. My guess is these are so cheap because they are being dumped. They didn't meet spec. and to avoid taking a complete loss they are sold at a low price. I suspect that's the case with a lot of the off shore electronics on ebay. What's that the Romans said, caveat emptor? Raz
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #24

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
There is quite the snipe hunt going based on readings from one of these. My guess is these are so cheap because they are being dumped. They didn't meet spec. and to avoid taking a complete loss they are sold at a low price. I suspect that's the case with a lot of the off shore electronics on ebay. What's that the Romans said, caveat emptor? Raz
Yes, but we don't know that the meter is reading wrong, all we know it that it alerted the OP on that thread to a potential problem. He may well have had the same questions with an expensive Fluke meter.

I'd also add that this is not an uncommon price for Chinese electronics. If you look on eBay, you can buy stuff like this all day long (like Walmart does) for ridiculously low prices. It doesn't mean it is defective and being off loaded. Probably just made with ultra cheap labor, government subsidies and no environmental or other regulation.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Yes, but we don't know that the meter is reading wrong, all we know it that it alerted the OP on that thread to a potential problem. He may well have had the same questions with an expensive Fluke meter.
But with the fluke, it's unlikely the meter is problem. That's why they cost what they cost.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #26

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
But with the fluke, it's unlikely the meter is problem. That's why they cost what they cost.
That's true, but for the price of a Fluke, he could just drop it off at the dealer and have it analyzed / fixed.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #27
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
That's true, but for the price of a Fluke, he could just drop it off at the dealer and have it analyzed / fixed.
A Fluke is cheaper. You must get a discount.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #28

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Yes sir, I've got one of those in my trailer, and I guarantee you when that low voltage warning sounds in the middle of the night, it'll wake your sorry butt up out of a sound sleep !
It is a pretty cool little device, nice to have onboard.