Inexpensive voltmeter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Inexpensive voltmeter

I ran across a digital volt meter that plugs into a cigarette lighter on eBay for $2.50. If it is reasonably accurate, it will be useful to monitor the battery charge level.

Ebay link:
12V 24V Digital LED Auto Car Truck System Voltmeter Gauge Voltage Volt Meter | eBay
Amazon link for reviews:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BestDealUSA Mini 12V/24V LED Display Digital Car Volt Meter Vehicle Voltage Gauge Voltmeter

I get a kick out of the Amazon pricing - 25 cents plus $4.50 shipping.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have a similar one that I got from Amazon
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I have a similar one that I got from Amazon
Does it seem accurate enough to gauge battery charge level?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one too. If it works as described, it should be perfect.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just remember, you get what you pay for!!! $.25???
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Free shipping to Canada, seems to be good as well, BUT you have to pay customs and duty according to the sales terms. When you receive the item, could you please let the board know what the extra charges were. I have a number of items I would like to order, but would like to know what the charges are....Thanks, Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

British Columbia
I bought a similar one in USA last year, and it cost about $15, so if I can get it shipped to Canada for under that, I will be happy. Please let us know. Thanks, Jim
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Free shipping to Canada, seems to be good as well, BUT you have to pay customs and duty according to the sales terms. When you receive the item, could you please let the board know what the extra charges were. I have a number of items I would like to order, but would like to know what the charges are....Thanks, Jim
Geez, $2.47 delivered to the door. Even if you have other meters how could you turn this deal down

Jim, the Chinese are really super friendly. They send me gifts all the time They declare on the customs label that the item is gift. As such, it comes right to your door without any charges. Works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Does it seem accurate enough to gauge battery charge level?
I really haven't used it much, stuck it in the 12 volt outlet a couple times, I think it is fairly accurate but haven't checked it against any other meter. It was one of those package deals when I was buying a cigarette type outlet with leads on it to clip on a battery.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Jim, the Chinese are really super friendly. They send me gifts all the time They declare on the customs label that the item is gift. As such, it comes right to your door without any charges. Works for me. Ron
Darn it Ron, I thought I was the only real special customer who they sent gifts to!

Duty rates vary depending on the value of the item being shipped. Items valued at $20 or less are exempt from duty ( unless tobacco or alcohol) as are gifts under $60, so there are no added charges. If the item was made in the USA there is a good bet you will not be charged duty on it anyways. On items you are charged duty on the rate of duty is generally 6%. If you had to pay duty you will also need to pay provincial and fed tax. If the item is not duty exempt Canada Post also adds a $5 charge for general del or $8 if sent priority mail, on behalf of Canadian Border Services Agency.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

Update

I got this voltmeter from eBay today - on a slow boat from China. I hooked it up to two other digital voltmeters and a variable power supply. I ranged from 11.0 to 14.5 volts. The display is just 3 digits, but I found that it agreed with the other two meters to 3 digits across the entire range.

So for $2.50, I declare it a winner. Durability TBD.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As with any measuring instrument read and understand the specifications. OH! none listed. Hmmm Now I wonder what you really get?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
As with any measuring instrument read and understand the specifications. OH! none listed. Hmmm Now I wonder what you really get?
I'm happy at $2.50. YMMV
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #14

British Columbia
Hi Tom

I remembered you ordering this a little while ago, and I just placed an order for it, and it will be on a slow boat from China as well, but at $2.50 you cant beat the price. Glad it is working ok.
I wired a separate DC receptacle for it and will keep it plugged in all the time.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I hope you enjoy it Tom, but for me I don't like to buy cheap Chinese stuff. According to Amazon it's manufacture by Neewer Electronics. Chasing them down was almost impossible, but it appears they also go my epathchina. BBB rates Neewer with a big old F.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The boat from China took about three weeks to reach Va. I ordered three, what the heck for that price. They are about 1/3 the size and about $10 cheaper than the Wally World China special battery monitor. They all seem to work OK and they all read the same voltage when plugged in. Good find.
Thanks Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Tom

I remembered you ordering this a little while ago, and I just placed an order for it, and it will be on a slow boat from China as well, but at $2.50 you cant beat the price. Glad it is working ok.
I wired a separate DC receptacle for it and will keep it plugged in all the time.
Just recd it today....took about a month but for the price, you cant beat it. It came by China Air Express and no sales tax, duty or customs.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Just recd it today....took about a month but for the price, you cant beat it. It came by China Air Express and no sales tax, duty or customs.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Warning: Harsh Words Ahead.....

Come On Guys (and Ladies) Is protecting your battery from overcharging and/or being run down and damaged only worth $2.50?????

Those little plug in gadgets are, basically, electronic junque that may or may not work or be accurate in a few days/week/months.

For not that many $ you can get a Voltminder that will be accurate to 2 decimal places and has settable alarms to warn you of overcharging and overuse leading to a dead/damaged battery. I have installed (meaning hard wired) at least a dozen of these over the past 2 years without any failures or problems. Here's a good source.
12V DC Volt Minder (71730)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Warning: Harsh Words Ahead.....

Come On Guys (and Ladies) Is protecting your battery from overcharging and/or being run down and damaged only worth $2.50?????

Those little plug in gadgets are, basically, electronic junque that may or may not work or be accurate in a few days/week/months.

For not that many $ you can get a Voltminder that will be accurate to 2 decimal places and has settable alarms to warn you of overcharging and overuse leading to a dead/damaged battery. I have installed (meaning hard wired) at least a dozen of these over the past 2 years without any failures or problems. Here's a good source.
12V DC Volt Minder (71730)
Well, since I am the OP, I guess you are talking to me. I happen to think that for $2.50 it is a heck of a lot better than what most people have, which is nothing. Nobody claimed it was as good as a Volt Minder, but the test that I ran and posted convinced me that it is reasonably accurate.

If you want to spend more, go ahead. I'll continue to post opportunities and let the adults here make their own buying decisions.