Install fantastic fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Install fantastic fan

Intend to change my vent over my bed to a fantastic fan. Seen several install videos on utube but looking for info installing on fiberglass. I thought the butyl tape would be enough but is see additional stuff on utube on other trailers. Need more to seal?
Bigfoot 21
Thanks, Chris

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
What kind of additional stuff? We used butyl and had to really build it up on one side because of the uneven and oddly sloped roof on our 1999 Burro, then went ahead and used Sikaflex 221 around the edges just because that seems to be what professional installers do. Not sure that part's necessary. After only 2 months the Sikaflex is yellowing BTW. I bought a tube of Siakflex 505 UV to use on our next vent install instead, hopefully it won't yellow... would love to hear other experiences as well.
jwjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
You'll need a spacer. Mine is plywood. Measure from the flange to the bottom. That's the minimum. If you are over, the trim will cover it.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Registry
Raz
Do not understand spacer. I got the impression from utube that the interior flange be trimmed down skinnier if roof not thick enough? No spacer on Friday in bathroom. .??
Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Raz
Do not understand spacer. I got the impression from utube that the interior flange be trimmed down skinnier if roof not thick enough? No spacer on Friday in bathroom. .??
Thanks
Spacer...
Usually a spacer is used to allow space for the inside frame to mount.
It also allows material to attach the flange fasteners.
The second picture shows one without the spacer installed, note that without a spacer, there is no place to install the four corner screws for the inside frame or to get a nice finished.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 026.jpg   DSCF0210.JPG  

1978 Scamp 13 004.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I installed a Fantastic Fan in our Uhaul I didn't need any spacer. I did have to cut down the vertical part of the interior trim piece as is mentioned in the install instructions. Our Casita SD 17 has a Fantastic Fan above the side dinette area, center of roof, and a A/C unit towards the rear.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Raz

Chris, your fan will come in 2 pieces. The first is the fan, controls and cover. The second, the trim. You cut a 14" x 14" hole and drop the fan in. The fan flange stops it from going through the hole. What ever sits below the ceiling determines the spacer thickness. Remember on stick built trailers there is framing and insulation so a spacer is not necessary. As Floyd says, the spacer is what the fan screws into through the roof. Then you cut the trim piece to fit. Raz
Old 07-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

New York
OP has a Casita SD, same as ours. I'm not going to take things apart to see how they did it, but our Fantastic Fan does not have a spacer, at least one that can be seen. Sounds like OP is going to install his fan where the roof mounted A/C unit would go if that option was chosen, so there's a good chance the roof has some thickness there. He'll know once he gets into it. I assume there is a vent there already. EDIT, in post #1 he says he is replacing an existing vent, so FF should be a drop in install.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #9

Registry
On the roof, is the butyl tape and maybe a little caulk over the screws sufficient?

Mary and Bob, I thought that was what I expected- cut down vertical portion of the interior part but was not sure.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #10

New York
I would use butyl tape under the flange. I like Pro Flex RV sealant for on the screws, but it only comes in a caulk gun tube, and seems to harden up in the tube before you use it again. Floyd or others may have a better suggestion.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
OP has a Casita SD, same as ours. I'm not going to take things apart to see how they did it, but our Fantastic Fan does not have a spacer, at least one that can be seen. Sounds like OP is going to install his fan where the roof mounted A/C unit would go if that option was chosen, so there's a good chance the roof has some thickness there. He'll know once he gets into it. I assume there is a vent there already. EDIT, in post #1 he says he is replacing an existing vent, so FF should be a drop in install.
Bob, I installed a Fantastic fan about three weeks ago. There is at least I" between the flange and the bottom of the fan. How thick is the Casita roof and what is the fan screwed into?
Old 07-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Registry
Raz
Some utube videos I watched showed them cutting the vertical flange down to fit thickness of roof. I suppose this is standard or add a spacer?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Bob, I installed a Fantastic fan about three weeks ago. There is at least I" between the flange and the bottom of the fan. How thick is the Casita roof and what is the fan screwed into?
Raz; I'm really not sure as the Fantastic Fan was there when we bought the Casita. I think it is not very thick from what I can see, and that section of the roof is actually a little flexible. On the outside there is so much caulk around the Fan flange that I can't see anything up there. It's possible, and I'll have to look again to verify, that maybe the roof has a spacer on the outside. Where the OP wants to install his Fantastic Fan is where a roof top A/c unit would go, at least that is where ours is. So my theory is, and again just a guess, that all Casitas were built with the roof reinforced in that area to accept a A/C unit. I was told by a Casita owner that it actually cost more to buy one WITHOUT the A/C, as A/C was considered standard production procedure. Can't verify that statement !! Looks like the answer is, pull out the old vent, see how the Fantastic Fan fits, be prepared to make a spacer if it looks like you need it. Next problem, getting wires up there from the fuse panel.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #14

Registry
Ff people have told me to trim inside to depth I want, I just learned.
Thought I should post
Thanks
Old 07-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
When I installed by FF on my Scamp using butyl tape under the flange and snap caps over the screws on the roof. Turned out well. I did add a small bead of Sikaflex 221 around the vent once installed. Worked well.

Only thing I would do differently would be to use a Deluxe Maxxfan rather than a FF. That way you will be able to leave the vent open in the rain without the need for a separate vent cover. Recently installed a Deluxe Maxxfan in my current trailer over the bed area and very happy with it - to me it is a far better system than the deluxe FF with rain sensor/remote etc that was already on the trailer at the other end of it. Find the FF is louder and has a more complicated auto control system & needs to be shut if its raining out.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000825 small.JPG  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #16
Raz

While the fantastic fan may not have all the conveniences of the Maxx fan, it does have one advantage, a better motor mount. The reason I was installing a new Fantastic fan was that the motor mount on my Maxx fan failed due to torsion caused by the motor spinning. It was 6 years old. Anyone with a ceiling fan can observe the same rotational forces at work. I hope you have better luck. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
1468607842122.jpg   1468607863825.jpg