Installed Microwave Oven in Bigfoot 17CB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Installed Microwave Oven in Bigfoot 17CB

I decided to install a microwave oven in my 1993 Bigfoot 17CB to hang down from the upper cabinets to the right of my sink, in an area that is 'relatively' unused and out of the way.
The Bigfoot cabinets are securely mounted and there is a prewire box inside the upper cabinet, so I assume that they did mount them inside the cabinet. This would cause loss of space and be hard to modify back if the microwave needed to be changed or removed.
I decided to hang it below, using 1/4X20 threaded rod and 1"X1/8 flat aluminum strips. With these ovens being so cheap, I spent over half it's value for the pieces to mount it.
I bought:
6' 1/8X1" aluminum straps
4 fender washers
4 nylock nuts
4 acorn dress nuts
6' 1/4X20 threaded rod
1 electrical duplex outlet
1 outlet plate
1 replacement plug (I cut off the plug to feed the wire)
5' 1/4 ID x 3/8 ID poly tubing to dress up the rods
pkg #12 x 1/2 self tapping metal screws

I installed the upper ends of the rods with fender washers on the right and used a 13" alum. strap for the left end to distribute the load to the heavier wood at the front and rear of the cabinet.
The pictures should tell the story pretty well.
Time will tell if it's in the way or gets bounced around enough to pull loose or some other problem.
I did run into several 'glitches' in the installation. I bought the wrong plug for the cable, I pinched a 12V power wire in the cabinet, running hidden between the boards, I misdrilled a self tap mounting hole, BUT, it finally went together OK and I'm pleased with the results.
IF you decide to do something similar, make sure that the cabinets have enough strength, other wise this method could be used for other things too!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Location.jpg   PartsUsed2.jpg  

BracketsMounted.jpg   InstalledLeft.jpg  

InstalledWide.jpg  
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Looks great!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use the microwave in my Scamp all the time. If you're like me, you'll enjoy having it handy
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, microwave