Installed new LEDs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia

Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
More LED options in this thread as well

Cheap 12 volt LEDs
Yes, I have a post that describes our LED interior lights in that thread (at number 45). I bought the 26-LED lights without a base for about $1 each, then soldered them into bases that I also bought for about 50 cents each. Because the warm white lights were not as bright as the bluish white ones, I used two LEDs in most of the light fixtures except for a single LED fixture that I installed by the front door, and three LEDs each in the two fixtures over the sink. We now get plenty of light and the 15 LEDs in total (in 6 fixtures) use less power than one of the original incandescent lights.

I would like to see one of the 102 LED lights in a warm white colour, if they ever appear on the internet.

Rick G

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I would like to see one of the 102 LED lights in a warm white colour, if they ever appear on the internet.
Rick G
I looked on eBay and it seems that all of them are bright white 5000K to 6000K. I would like to see them in 3000K as well.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #17
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I had upgraded all our incandescent bulbs to a 1156 LED replacement. The replacement LED lamp has 64 LEDs. I recently purchased LED Bulbs with 102 LEDs that are brighter than the 64s.

I bought them on EBay. I think they were about $3.00 for 2 bulbs plus shipping. I looked recently and there are even more densely packed bulbs available now.

Since the number of LEDs is not necessarily proportional to brightness I installed one of each over the table and the 102s are visibly brighter.

Hi Norm

Just for comparison these are the specifications for the lamps shown in my original post. I bought the " warm white" which has a color temperature of 3100*k. I was looking to replace the incandescent bulbs (921) which have a wedge base and draw about 1.5 amps. Prior to installing them, I tested them with my bench power supply. I found their intensity does not change down to about 10.5 volts. With a "dead battery" they should still light up. That, as well as not being polarized, using high efficiency LEDs, and being compact is why they cost so much more.

G4-xWHP15-DAC: White LED Lamp

Disc type G4 base Lamp with 15 High Power 5050SMD LEDs
12 Volt AC or DC
Produces 180/160 lumen at 7000K/3100K, 120 degree beam pattern
1.75 inch diameter, Connection Pins exit side of lamp
Price for each. $ 16.95

Fifteen white LEDs wired with the appropriate current limiting resistors should cost quite a bit less.

The lamps from eBay contain 102 white LED's. Typically each LED requires about 3 to 3.5 volts at about 20 mA to 30 mA. That gives a power dissipation of between 60 mW and 105 mW per LED or between 6.1 watts and 10.7 watts for just the LEDs. Some sort of current limiting circuitry adds to the power dissipation.

In rough numbers I am guessing the current drain is about 1/2 to 1 amp per bulb. While they are certainly more efficient than an incandescent 1156 bulb, I would think they will draw too much current to be an efficient replacement (in terms of battery life) inside a trailer. Since they are a tail light replacement I bet they are very bright. Can you measure the current just to satisfy my curiosity? Raz
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I recently bought some LED bulbs here direct from China. Free shipping on most items. It takes about 4 weeks to receive the items. I haven't tried them yet since the boler is in storage for winter.
KevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
I bought these. Good price, free shipping included. They are 7.5 watt. They should be bright! I like the bright white light myself, especially for reading. In other lights I like the lower intensity and softer lighting. I just love LEDs

Car 120 LED 3528 SMD 1156 White Fog Light Lamp Bulb 12V | eBay

DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote