Installing a 12v DC refrigerator in a Lil Snoozy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #15

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Jim, I believe it will be the Unisolar system of flexible solar panels. I've read that they are better than the rigid ones out of full sun. They're expensive, but with an all-electric trailer, the generator and the sun back each other up.

Here's a website: Solar Battery Charging Packages for RV, Boat & Off Grid Apps

When I went to the factory, Richard and I looked all over the trailer trying to decide where to drop the cables. They don't have to pierce the skin if the batteries are outside, so it's just an aesthetic and mechanical (maybe fiberglass them in) decision.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #16

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
In regard to the Magic Chef, the symptoms sound like a bad start capacitor. They are not expensive and often can be had for free from a discarded fridge of the same size. An Internet search should tell you what you need to know. Just a thought , Raz

I tried a much larger cap designed to make motors start easier. It made no difference.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Nice Job .So the 12 volt fridge will work of batteries then the batteries could be charged while hooked up to shore power or solar power .what about a 12/110 fridge ? Are they much more expensive is there an advantage to going just with 12 volt ? I was going to do the 1000 watt marine inverter route($95) Do you think going with bigger inverter would work the dorm Fridge and for how long?

If you always have a battery available I don't se the point of paying extra for the 120v AC feature. We leave the battery charger on all the time we are plugged in. The fridge runs on 12v and the battery stays 100% charged.

As I learned, an inverter has two compromises, (1) it consumes power all the time it is turned on and (2) the starting load requires a relatively huge DC current into the inverter for a few seconds. If the DC wiring is not very robust there will be a voltage drop through the wires and the inverter will turn off due to the low voltage. It thinks the battery is almost dead. Actually a third inverter 'gotcha' is that the modified sine wave type (much less expensive than true sine wave) waste a lot of power driving a motor. I would bet a TSW 1000w inverter would run around $500.

My Samlex 600w TSW inverter uses 0.6 amps all the time and has a peak efficiency of 85%. The first day the 12v fridge consumed 23 ah. Had the same fridge been powered with the inverter, the inverter itself would have used 0.6ah x 24 hours = 14 ah plus 23/.85 - 23 = 4 ah. Total 18 ah, increasing the consumption by 78%.

If you just want to keep the fridge running while you are driving an inverter can be a good solution given proper DC wiring but not so good for boondocking.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #18

Virginia
The TF website states that the frige should be used on 12v, that using an inverter probably will shorten its life, due to cycling between the 12v and 120v systems.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I looked at the site and appears the 110/12v unit is
only a hundred dollars more.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #20

Virginia
Yes, but not recommended: "(Note: Although the 110vAC will run on a correctly sized inverter, this is not the best method. It is best to let the fridge run on 12vDC, as the inverter duplicates the fridge electronics by changing 12vDC to 110vAC and the fridge then changes 110vAC back to 12vDC.)"
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #21

NE Oklahoma
The 110/12v unit would be good as it automatically switches
when hooked up to shore to 110. Then when unplugged runs
on 12v. The inverter would not be necessary for this unit.
So wouldn't want to wire to an inverter. Not necessary.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #22

NE Oklahoma
Gone with the Wynns Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Jim, I believe it will be the Unisolar system of flexible solar panels. I've read that they are better than the rigid ones out of full sun. They're expensive, but with an all-electric trailer, the generator and the sun back each other up.

Here's a website: Solar Battery Charging Packages for RV, Boat & Off Grid Apps

When I went to the factory, Richard and I looked all over the trailer trying to decide where to drop the cables. They don't have to pierce the skin if the batteries are outside, so it's just an aesthetic and mechanical (maybe fiberglass them in) decision.
From "Gone with the Wynns Blog"

We are having our new Flex Solar panels installed in Las Cruses next week and we can't hardly wait! We are heading into South Texas next (Marfa, Alpine, Big Bend) and plan on doing a solid amount of Dry Camping to fully test them out! Don't worry, well give a full report on how it all goes.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #23

Virginia
Thanks Carl - I'm really impressed by what I've read about the Flex panels. Hoping Richard and crew can install them for me when I'm able to order the Lil Snoozy. And good news that the fridge doesn't have to run through the inverter.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #24

Michigan
There would be no reason to run the fridge with an inverter. You would convert 12v DC to 120vac then the inverter built into the fridge would convert 120vac back to 12vdc, with efficiency losses at each conversion.

The AC or DC units make sense with the portable units as you could use them in your house.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #25

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post

If you have a three stage battery charger you don't even need the 120AC feature on the fridge. When you are plugged in the charger will use 120vac to replace whatever 12vdc energy the fridge uses.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
That seemed like a high charge for shipping to me. But then I punched in an estimated size and weight on UPS, and the result was higher than that! So I guess it's actually pretty reasonable.

They say 2 amps per hour rating, so I would guess that in 95* or 100* weather it may run closer to that. Depending on where a person camped, I think worst case scenario would be the possibility that one might need to add one solar panel in extreme weather. All in all, this sounds like a great way to beat the warm-fridge blues.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #27

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
If you have a three stage battery charger you don't even need the 120AC feature on the fridge. When you are plugged in the charger will use 120vac to replace whatever 12vdc energy the fridge uses.
That's true.
But where does global warming figure in..............ROFL
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #28

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Carl what unit are you speaking of? I am headed to LS this weekend and if the wife likes it, I may talk about an order. The lack of a 12v fridge is an issue for me so If I can pay LS a little more for a AC/DC fridge I would want that option.

Tags
lil snoozy, refrigerator