Installing a 12v DC refrigerator in a Lil Snoozy - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #71

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
There is a nitch for all electric campers.

That's why each person has to make a list
of their needs in the style camping they do.

I liked the self description of another poster
last year that I have adopted to describe myself.
I'm tourist that pulls his motel room with him....lol.

The pioneers didn't have all that propane
accessories as they journeyed from the east
to the west. A purist boondocker would
scoff at all of us I'm sure.

All you need is a compass, a knife, a hatchet
and the knowledge it takes to live with nature
as the total source.

Pine bed to sleep in, lean to for shelter,
traps for food, etc. But like everyone else,
it's a choice of conveniences we want to
take along.

One could get by with just a bed roll.............LOL

Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #72

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	68628

Spanke

Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #73

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
nature knows best............
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #74

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Snoozy did not change hands, .
I think if you check a little bit more of the history of Lil' Snoozy and its ownership you will find they was indeed change in the ownership.
Richard Mickle himself confirmed to this list back in November.

His Linkedin profile confirms it:
(Owner) LiL' Snoozy, LLC.
Columbia, South Carolina Area | Leisure, Travel & Tourism
Current: Owner/Operator at LiL' Snoozy, LLC.

As far as your tongue weight concerns go, you mentioned you need two batteries for your solar needs. Are you going with 2 6 volt batteries? or 1 12 volt? A lot of folks who have gone the 2 - 6 volt way end up mounting the batteries to the rear of the trailer to avoid the weight issue up front - does Lil' Snoozy offer that option? Personally have found that I get by pretty well with a single deep cell 12 volt battery with my solar set up.

I have also found that a single 20lb propane tank even when used to run my fridge and cooking inside the trailer at least one meal a day and running the furnace as needed I can get by a long time between tank fill ups. Actually have gone as long as 6 weeks of travel going on and off the grid for 50% maybe more and not had to refill the 20lb tank. Always a little surprised when I see 2 20lb tanks on a small trailer & wonder why, I assume they stay of the grid for weeks at a time and never drive anywhere near a refill station when out exploring the area they are in. Would think that you could get by with a 10lb tank that would last you at least 5 days and probable longer when boon docking and using it to run a fridge.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #75

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Richard is one of the owners and the Vice President. Nicholas Smoak is the other partner, so there was a small change. I haven't seen a big change in the philosophy, because I believe they've always been willing to make changes to satisfy the customer.

I'm planning on 2 6 volts right now, because my electrical needs are probably greater than yours, since the Lil Snoozy was designed for electricity.

The entrance is from the rear, so I don't see mounting the batteries there as an option, though I'm looking at some sort of tire gate mounted on the rear bumper for the spare. The hull has been pierced in the front in a protected area for connections, and I think it's the best area for them, since all the wiring is already there. Really no place in the back to put the wiring, unless the shower is eliminated, and that's why I even considered a trailer:-)

I still plan to use a 12v fridge and my little butane stove, so no propane needed there. Really the only things I'll use the tank for are the water heater and the heater, when cold enough. I suppose I could hook up the Weber grill...
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #76

NE Oklahoma
Alan said that he is not retiring any time soon , he is still the sole owner and is now in charge of design and development . Richard is his office / sales manger . That is the latest update for now .

Topic: THIS IS WHAT HE HAD TO SAY
Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #77

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Alan said that he is not retiring any time soon , he is still the sole owner and is now in charge of design and development . Richard is his office / sales manger . That is the latest update for now .

Topic: THIS IS WHAT HE HAD TO SAY
Carl, I can't see on the link you provided what Alan actually said (only thing I can see is the statement "This is what he had to say" .... but what ever it was, if he actually said still "sole" owner that appears to be in conflict with what Richard Mickle himself said here, as well as what is on Richard's professional on line profile.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #78

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
The entrance is from the rear, so I don't see mounting the batteries there as an option, though I'm looking at some sort of tire gate mounted on the rear bumper for the spare. .

How some of the other trailer manufactures have accommodated the dual batteries is to mount them on the rear bumper towards the side of the trailer. Would still allow the rear door of the Lil Snoozy to open.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #79

Virginia
I understand.
Quote:
How some of the other trailer manufactures have accommodated the dual batteries is to mount them on the rear bumper towards the side of the trailer.
But the electronics are toward the front, and the cable run will become more inefficient as the run becomes longer. It's a trade-off, I guess - tongue weight or electrical efficiency. I think the mods to the wiring/system would be a bit of a nightmare (=$$$), too.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #80

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I understand.
But the electronics are toward the front, and the cable run will become more inefficient as the run becomes longer. It's a trade-off, I guess - tongue weight or electrical efficiency. I think the mods to the wiring/system would be a bit of a nightmare (=$$$), too.
Not sure you would have to talk with one of the fiberglass trailer manufactures who have done it. Running the extra length of charge wire to the rear of the trailer while in build stage wouldn't be all that much more costly (whats another 14' of wire cost?). Not sure you are going to loose much in the way of electrical efficiency either - assuming the run from the battery to the location of the appliances doesnt change. Sure one of our electrical types here could probable come up with a number in regards what you would loose in running the vehicle charge line the extra 14' down the body of the trailer to the rear... but having the 2 6 volt batteries may make up for that and who knows your tug may not have the power outage to keep up with the power usage of the fridge when towing anyways.... many of them do not.

Any which way it sounds like you have it all sorted out as to what your needs wants are anyways..... it was just a thought if you had real concerns in regards to the trailers tongue weight.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #81

Virginia
Thanks Carol - I have plenty of time to decide on everything. With your input, I'll rethink placement of electrical stuff, but I know the layout pretty well, and can't see putting them under the sink - neither a safe nor an adequate space.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so space considerations are interesting to me - those EEs talk about imaginary and unseen things. I guess they have their uses, though:-)
Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #82

British Columbia
Registry
LOL well having looked at the trailers layout I have hunch there are a few places to move your converter etc to than under the sink. :-)

Yup those EE's do indeed talk about strange and interesting things here now and agian but they have been know to hand out some good advise ..... even if it means having to do a little homework to understand what the heck they are actually talking about!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #83

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Installing a 12v DC refrigerator in a Lil Snoozy

Two golf cart (6v 220ah) batteries fit fine on the tongue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1393731013.274929.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	68639
The battery charger and inverter are just behind the batteries, inside, under the front bed. Primary cables are only 2-3' long.

A full 20# cylinder of propane only weighs 40#, that would be OK on the tongue also.

The more weight on the tongue, the better the trailer tows, as long as the tow vehicle's rear suspension and hitch can take the weight. My Snoozy has 390# on the tongue the old RAV4 handled it just fine.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #84

Virginia
Did you build out the tongue? It looks so much better than the factory-built one, though it's not so bad, either.

Yes, the battery in the back just doesn't make any sense, considering the layout. I'll put the water heater in the compartment near the water tank - there seems to be enough room to vent it there. And your idea for the furnace is perfect - little inside space used.

I'd like to have that cute little accessory in front. Do you use him for ballast?

Tags
lil snoozy, refrigerator