Installing A/C in '81 16'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Name: Jones
Trailer: Shopping
Arkansas
Installing A/C in '81 16'?

Thinking about buying an '81 '16 without an A/C -- on the condition that I could install one. Aesthetically, I'd prefer not to put a unit in the window. Can one be put in a kitchen cabinet or storage closet?

See 1st attached pic for the ideal spot (I think that's the furnace).

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	104456
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0981.JPG  
joneswilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Arkansas
2nd pic shows side vents I've seen on other models (although I realize this one has a roof a/c).
Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
Put it where the heater is and use electric heater!
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #4

Arkansas
That's what I was thinking. Have you done this? Doesn't the a/c need to drain?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
No I haven't but in older models I have seen they are often installed just to the left near the floor when you walk in. If theres no room there then the heater spot is an option. Maybe a heater/ac combo?
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
AC options

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswilder View Post
Thinking about buying an '81 '16 without an A/C

Attachment 104456
I'm planning on installing an AC in my Burro 14. (9kbtu seems best for me in Florida) Rooftop models are too heavy. Window units are noisy and difficult to mount without looking tacky.
My search has been narrowed down to ductless inverter unit mounted on the tongue with inside air handler panel on the wall. My tongue is already cluttered up with battery and propane tank. Pros, efficient inverter system, permanent mount. 9kbtu models cost about $500 - $700.
Another option is the Climaterite. Basically a window type unit that is stored in the TV, taken out when you park and hooked up to two flexible duct hoses that mate to small round ports mounted in the wall. Pros, easier to install. Cons, 65 lb(104 for 10kbtu) unit that has to be moved in and out of TV and not inverter. 5kbtu and 10kbtu models $500 and $600 respectively.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
North Dakota
Hi, I have a 1985 16ft Skamp, and I installed a small, home, window a/c under the bottom bunk bed. I put a screen in the door, that allows access to this space, so you cannot see the a/c unit at all. I separated and vented the hot air out the bottom on the front of the trailer and brought in cooling air from the floor also. I used 4 inch pvc pipe elbows that face back under the trailer to keep from scooping in dirt, bugs, or rain as you are driving. I installed a 110 volt outlet under the bunk in the passenger side storage next to the a/c and plug in the a/c there. The entire outlet is controlled by a switch near the rear bed, so I can just reach over and switch it on or off at night without getting up. It works real sweet with nothing showing anywhere that I have an A/C. Of course I have drains for the condensation and sealed around the back half of the a/c unit to keep the hot and cold air from mixing with each other....Kennechi
kennechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #8

Arkansas
That sounds sweet! Thanks for the tips!