Installing laminate plank flooring in a Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Installing laminate plank flooring in a Bigfoot

So the rebuild is inching slowly along, and I have come up with a question regarding laminate plank flooring. When used as designed in a home it is installed as a floating floor, Has anyone installed it in a rv using fastners or glue? I'm not sure I feel good about having a floating floor to bounce and shift around on bumpy roads.
Ideas anyone?

Thanks for your time,
Tom Y
86 bigfoot 5th wheel
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I like the vinyl flooring from HD, Allure flooring. Cork color was my choice.
It is a floating floor, somewhat heavy but, one nice looking and durable floor.
Laminate wouldn't be my first choice. ( my 2 cents ) and a $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

California
Replacing a floor in a Bigfoot

Thanks Mike and Sara,
After reading lots on this subject, it seems pretty clear that the laminate wood stuff is not a good idea, so it looks like vinyl or cork is the way to go.
Still looking for a answer on whether anyone has glued it down or fastened it down versus the floating concept. I would think on such a small footprint that there should be little need to compensate for the expansion
issues of a kitchen floor in a house by comparison. But then again it seems most just allow it to float, with expansion space around the perimeter.
Thoughts?
Tom Y
Old 02-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Floor

Hello Tom,
The allure floor comes in strips, aprox. 6"x36". The pieces overlap each other which, have a adhesive strip. The material is very heavy and will stay in place. You can cut and trim as you go for a better fit. I have used carpet, vinyl and, have found this looks best. If you take the time when installing, you will not need to install trim around the edges.
Just a though, I'm sure others have their favorite material to work with.
Looks first class and is easy to clean.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Name: Rickie
Trailer: 78 scamp '13
Michigan
I just installed a floating floor in our scamp. You should not fasten the floor to the subfloor, you should leave it about 1/8" short of all walls, which is more than enough for expansion and contraction considering you would leave 1/4" gap in a regular sized room. Once your floor is in put shoe moulding on the walls tight to the floor and caulk it to the walls so your floor can move underneath it w/o buckling.
I used the cheaper plastic moulding because it is a little more weather proof, and it flexes alot more w/o breaking. I have pictures of it in alterations about a week or two ago. If you need any help, I would be happy to try and answer your questions
XL milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Michigan
The pictures are on 2-2-12
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I put Allure flooring in our Bigfoot 2 years ago. It's not attached to anything and has not moved a millimeter. We liked the faux bamboo because it matches the maple formica counter and table top. We're very happy with the floor.

1980 Bigfoot :: front dinette picture by tomNjo - Photobucket
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

California
now putting down a vinyl plank floor, no more composite wood

Thanks everyone on your comments, they are well taken. So it sounds like floating is the way to go. I see Home Depot recommends and sells a underlayment / moisture barrier, has anyone done this or are you putting it down directly on top of the plywood floor?
Tom Y
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

Michigan
Yeah I put the cheap white styrofoam underlayment down. You don't needto bring it tight to the walls. Go ahead and leave a little room. If it keeps moving around on you just tape it down.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I was wondering if the floating floor might have a problem with condensation under it? Can't find the post right now where someone had problems with condensation under flooring.

We are thinking of using the Allure in our BF too. It would be lighter weight than laminate type flooring.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
FYI, a box of Allure weighs 36 lbs. and covers 24 sq. ft. I put it over the existing linoleum without any underlay.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #12

Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Installed some cork laminate flooring in my Scamp. I had some 1/4 in foam board laying around, put that down first. Installed laminate, I would say tight in spots, also wood glued seams, caulked perimeter lightly and installed new threshhold.....so far good to -30 to + 100, and survived a spraying waterline leak without buckling. I shouldnt had bothered doing under bed since its always down, could have gotten away with using only 3/4 box that way....kept the carpet under side dinnette
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot