Installing Water Pump and Faucet with Switch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
If you only had to deal with the tank and no city water connection, why have the "T".
Two faucets. If you didn't have a place to put the valves for each one, water would flow out of BOTH, regardless of the pump used.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #16

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
I have a question on this subject of potable water pumps. My trailer came with a Shurflo pump made in 1980.

When I gutted the interior I pulled the 11 gal tank and the pump, because they were not installed in the right place. Now I'm finally getting around to making it work again but am not sure of how the wiring goes. When I wired it up it ran but wouldn't prime. That might have been due to the way I set up the hoses, or maybe because the many rubber seals are no good. If its just a gravity thing I can deal with that.

I took the pump apart when it wouldn't hold prime and found bits of white plastic scattered throughout, plus a little screen that was out of place, so I cleaned that up. Shurflo's site claims to have a rebuild kit but so far I have not found a dealer who knows anything about it so I'm hoping the seals are really ok and my problem is elsewhere.

Below is how I think the wiring should go. Would appreciate a confirmation on that since I have forgotten how it was originally set up. Red and black wires come out the motor. But there is a switch in front which has two spade connections. That green switch is only connected to the blue spring and is a puzzle to me.

I am also assuming the red and black wires that come out of the back (motor) end get wired as I show in drawing, but is black positive or negative?
Attached Thumbnails
PUMPdiag.gif  

Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Will this help?

Shurflo Waterpump Troubleshooting from the Document Center
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #18

NM
Registry
Donna, you done it again! Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. Why I couldn't find it myself.........?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Hooked my new tank and Shurflo pump up today and it is running like a dream. If it passes the 'leak test" I can start installing the new flooring.

Thanks Donna the shurflo brochure helped immensely.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #20

NM
Registry
Well, that's it. My old Burro pump is ready for the Smithstonian.

After re-installation and filling tank with warm water laced with clorox I turned on the pump switch to fire it up, turned on the faucet and waited. And waited. No water came into the pump so after trying all my tricks, like trying to induce a vacuum by holding my palm up against the spiggot, (?what do I know?) turning it rapidly on and off, kicking tires, etc, still no go.

The pump is in a position higher than the tank and the hose so had then to check if this was simply a gravity problem and therefore it couldn't prime. I thought Surflo pumps are self-priming so I wasn't expecting that to be the problem.

But it was. With hoses re-arranged for a test to draw water from a pot that was held above the pump.... everything worked. Water cascaded into my sink. Birds soon came to frolic and splash about.

But alas, the joy was short lived.

Problem number one was the realization that since this was not a self priming pump there was really no practical place for it to be installed that was below the tank. Certainly its current location, though beautiful, was out. I could still deal with that, though it means major work, which I don't mind, unless I got to do it twice.

But then problem number two showed up. This pump was leaking big time from some hidden seams and or seals. It's not looking like I can get a seal/repair/replacement kit for a pump made in 1981.

Rats. Of course, leaky pumps are ok for use outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails
leaks.jpg  
Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #21

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
But it was. With hoses re-arranged for a test to draw water from a pot that was held above the pump.... everything worked. Water cascaded into my sink. Birds soon came to frolic and splash about.

Problem number one was the realization that since this was not a self priming pump there was really no practical place for it to be installed that was below the tank. Certainly its current location, though beautiful, was out. I could still deal with that, though it means major work, which I don't mind, unless I got to do it twice.

But then problem number two showed up. This pump was leaking big time from some hidden seams and or seals. It's not looking like I can get a seal/repair/replacement kit for a pump made in 1981.
Myron, a simple in-line check valve is all you need to keep your pump primed after you do it once. But the leaking pump is going to foul this idea up also. You need to seal the existing leaks or buy a new pump then just install a check valve in-line from tank to pump. This will keep the water from running back into tank when pump is off.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 04-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I am thinkin' it's time to repost the "Oil Changes for Women and Men" instructions.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #23

NM
Registry
Well, now I wish it were just seals. Don't think there's a remedy for this leak. Removed pump for close inspection and found cracks in the housing.

I'll see to getting a check valve to go along with the inline filter just won on ebay when ever I get a new pump.
Attached Thumbnails
pumpcrack.jpg  
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #24

Maine
Myron, you would be surprized what a 2 part epoxy will fix... I think you could fix this pump with some as long as the epoxy doesn't get in any of the working parts of the pump just smear it on outside of crack and inside of seam and let dry required time and it will be alot less expensive then new pump.
You would be surprized to hear I fixed similar cracks on a pump that had frozen and it worked fine with no leaks.
Gerry
Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Try J-B Weld for the epoxy brand......I found it to work very well on almost everything including engine blocks......rough up the area with about 120 grit sandpaper to help it stick.....the fun part is trying to get the epoxy to stay in a spot on a rounded surface as it wants to run off.....good luck......Benny
Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #26

NM
Registry
I have Loctite Quick-Set 2 part epoxy handy so decided to take the pump apart and use that stuff inside of the cracked chamber. That was yesterday. Today I checked on my work, hopeful for a fully cured bond.

I lose, Benny.

As seen here, the Shurflo plastic repels Loctite Epoxy. Was able to chip it off like it was dried eggshells. Still waiting for the Shurflo customer assistance folks to answer my request for info on what I can use on this ?rubberized? plastic compound they made their pump housings from.
Attached Thumbnails
pumpcrack1.jpg  
Old 04-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #27

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
...when ever I get a new pump.
I guess sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and get a new part...
Old 05-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #28

Maine
I guess sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and get a new part...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was ealier in this tread asking about hooking an electric pump to an older hand pump faucet but that is no longer applicatable as after hooking up the city water side the faucet leaked bad I will have to replace it now anyway .
Gerry the canoebuilder