Well, that's it. My old Burro
pump is ready for the Smithstonian.
After re-installation and filling tank with warm water laced with clorox I turned on the pump switch to fire it up, turned on the faucet and waited. And waited. No water came into the pump so after trying all my tricks, like trying to induce a vacuum by holding my palm up against the spiggot, (?what do I know?) turning it rapidly on and off, kicking tires
, etc, still no go.
The pump is in a position higher than the tank and the hose so had then to check if this was simply a gravity problem and therefore it couldn't prime. I thought Surflo pumps are self-priming so I wasn't expecting that to be the problem.
But it was. With hoses re-arranged for a test to draw water from a pot that was held above the pump.... everything worked. Water cascaded into my sink. Birds soon came to frolic and splash about.
But alas, the joy was short lived.
Problem number one was the realization that since this was not a self priming pump there was really no practical place for it to be installed that was below the tank. Certainly its current location, though beautiful, was out. I could still deal with that, though it means major work, which I don't mind, unless I got to do it twice.
But then problem number two showed up. This pump was leaking big time from some hidden seams and or seals. It's not looking like I can get a seal/repair/replacement kit for a pump made in 1981.
Rats. Of course, leaky pumps are ok for use outdoors.