Insulating a Burro - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Matt, Thanks for the R-value information for the beads. One of the biggest advantages of blown in or foam in place insulation is the ability to get insulation into limited access locations. One reservation I have about the polystyrene beads is how they are such a pain if they get loose. They stick to everything when the air is dry. I have never used them for insulation, but it seems that if they were blown through a hose into the cavities that they would get a static charge and stick to the cavity walls rather than fill the far ends of the cavities. I guess after some time the static charge would drain and more beads could be blown in.

Andy

Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #16

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
Andy, I am in agreement with Gina. I used Reflectix in my uninsulated Burro. It was difficult to get it into some spaces especially where the corners are on the roof. For the most part friction holds it in place and it has not moved since I installed it. When the sun is shining I can see two different spots about 1" x 8" where there is no coverage but I just consider them a beneficial air space. When I took my windows out I was surprised to see that only the top halves of the side window area had the fiberglass fused. I used this opportunity to jam the reflectix into and around the windows. As I recall, the glass in the front and back windows are not fused together making it easy to get the reflectix into those areas.
Like Gina, I used the reflectix over all of the exposed fiberglass on the cubby floors and behind cabinets. I used the 1/2 inch blue sleeping mats(from Wally) over that in the floor of the storage areas to hold the insulation and to minimize the vibration of the stuff riding on the top.
I used one layer of the blue closed cell underlayment for pergo type floors under the linoleum for insulation. This does not insulate very well but is probably better than nothing. I am now thinking of replacing that with spongy playroom jigsaw floor tiles and then placing the linoleum over that.
Without the Refectix insulation, the Burro would not hold the heat. With the insulation it heats very easily and stays warm. Like you I considered the different options and if I had to do it over I would do it the same way again. rb

Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Baker View Post
Andy, I am in agreement with Gina. I used Reflectix in my uninsulated Burro. It was difficult to get it into some spaces especially where the corners are on the roof. For the most part friction holds it in place and it has not moved since I installed it. When the sun is shining I can see two different spots about 1" x 8" where there is no coverage but I just consider them a beneficial air space. When I took my windows out I was surprised to see that only the top halves of the side window area had the fiberglass fused. I used this opportunity to jam the reflectix into and around the windows. As I recall, the glass in the front and back windows are not fused together making it easy to get the reflectix into those areas.
Like Gina, I used the reflectix over all of the exposed fiberglass on the cubby floors and behind cabinets. I used the 1/2 inch blue sleeping mats(from Wally) over that in the floor of the storage areas to hold the insulation and to minimize the vibration of the stuff riding on the top.
I used one layer of the blue closed cell underlayment for pergo type floors under the linoleum for insulation. This does not insulate very well but is probably better than nothing. I am now thinking of replacing that with spongy playroom jigsaw floor tiles and then placing the linoleum over that.
Without the Refectix insulation, the Burro would not hold the heat. With the insulation it heats very easily and stays warm. Like you I considered the different options and if I had to do it over I would do it the same way again. rb
Thanks Rusty, That is just the type of information I was looking for! If I could get similar coverage using insulation sheets, with only a couple of 1"x8" areas missing insulation that would be great. I don't think that foam in place or blown in insulation could get better coverage than that!

I would most likely use foam sheets (sleeping mats or yoga mats or polyethelene sheets) instead of Reflectix. I would glue the foam to the outer walls and floor in the cabinets and cubbies and hopefully friction would hold it in the other areas. The foam sheets are cheaper per square foot and have a higher R-value than Reflectix although they do not have the radiant barrier. Reflectix might also be better at sliding into difficult to reach areas than the foam sheets would be.

Great information about access at the window areas, that should make a huge difference in getting insulation into some areas. The upper corners, with the compound curves seem like they would be the most difficult areas to reach.

Since the body of my Burro is off the frame for the floor replacement, I was thinking of putting a sheet of foam insulation between the floor and frame. A concern would be trapping moisture between the foam and the floor leading to floor rot. I was careful to seal the plywood floor well with fiberglass and resin but there are about 30 bolts that hold the floor to the frame and they are potential leakage areas.

Thanks for your experience and insight,
Andy

Tags
burro