Interested what other have done in their cupboards - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Interested what other have done in their cupboards

Hi, I want to add better storage in my Scamp 16 and would love to see some pictures of what others have done.
I am mainly interested in the wardrobe closet and the lower cupboards with the wheel wells in them. I really like your wardrobe mod Carol H and think I will add the lower door as right now it is a very poor use of space. I did look at your large mod thread Norm and Ginny (also the silicon spray worked well on the windows, thanks for the tip.) that was a wealth of information although I am not planning quite such large projects! Just want to make the best use of what is there. Thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wheel well mods

My sink wheel well mod was easy. I made a shelf for 3 frying pans and a shelf for 3 pots. Below the shelf we have a container of bungie cords and a coffee can for bacon grease (bungeed to the leg of the shelves). The shelves are one of the easiest mods. On the door I added a towel rack and a small tray for sponges.

Opposite the sink and under the stove I made two slide out shelfs for canned goods and under the two slide outs a bin in front of the wheel well for onions and potatos. (mostly onions because we rarely eat potatos).

The other side of our sink counter contains the water heater and the rest of the wheel well. At the end of the wheel well we have bungee cords attached to the wall. Here we can stand up a bottle of wine and some cleaners behind the bungees.

The rest of the space is taken up by a garbage bag mounted to the door and a garbage bag holder also mounted to the door.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Our wardrobe closet is always an issue... my husband likes the shelves, plus rods, plus so much stuff the hanging clothes don't have a chance against wrinkles. Oh, well, I converted most of the hanging space to hanging shelves, so no problem.
In the overhead cabinets, I've bought a number of cloth drawer dividers from IKEA to keep stuff from rattling/falling over/ spilling into the next space. Love them
Under the bed (wheel well storage) is where I keep the sometimes essential, but rarely needed goods... 40 gallon collapsible freshwater bladder, heavy duty raingear, winter coats, electric heater, etc.
You'll find it takes awhile to "shake out" your camper to YOUR needs. Take your time before doing mods, or making permanent decisions. Finally, in your camper, it's "all about you!" and your specific needs.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Hi, I want to add better storage in my Scamp 16 and would love to see some pictures of what others have done.
I am mainly interested in the wardrobe closet and the lower cupboards with the wheel wells in them. I really like your wardrobe mod Carol H and think I will add the lower door as right now it is a very poor use of space. I did look at your large mod thread Norm and Ginny (also the silicon spray worked well on the windows, thanks for the tip.) that was a wealth of information although I am not planning quite such large projects! Just want to make the best use of what is there. Thanks.
There's several ways to attack the "storage issue". Some obvious, others not so.
What we've done is in kitchen overheads we bought Dollar Store mini egg crate plastic boxes. Keeps every thing from banging against the doors. Add a couple shallow boxes that just fit the end over heads and got a lot of stuff corralled.
The closet. Not so difficult, at least for us, some jackets and a shirt or two get hung up. T-shirts, and other clothing that you might put in a dresser drawer go into duffel bags, one hers one mine. No changes or modifications necessary.
We use sleeping bags for bedding, so I put a partition in the compartment under the street side dinette seat. This keeps the sleeping bags and the power cord and converter separated.
For long trips we add a couple larger duffel bags to truck for more clothes.
A larger tub goes under the couch center to hold most of the food.

One of the best ways to overcome the storage issue is to reduce the need to carry so much stuff. Look at everything you carry and look for some way to use something else you carry to do the same thing. Do you use all stuff you carry? A good example is look at the number of pots, pans, and skillets you carry. Could you get by with fewer?
We carry two handleless pots, (cheap pot lifter works as well or better than handles) a small skillet for most skillet cooking and a larger square flat type for pancakes. NOTE: We could get by with just the one.
Clothes- Layering is best bet. Do you really need a light jacket, a medium jacket, a heavy coat, a rain coat, and a super heavy coat? Probably not, but a couple sweaters and nice water resistant shell will perform just as well.

If you really do want to reduce the stuff I suggest reading one of the backpacking how to books. Lots of good hints there that won't reduce your enjoyment, probably increase it since you won't always be looking for something.

OK that's my 2cents worth
YMMV
Old 10-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I look at every flat service of a trailer as an opportunity to add storage... and that includes the vertical services of cupboard doors: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nce-47394.html I put shelves inside the closet for all kinds of things that need shelf space and have a tension rod in the bathroom for hanging stuff. The nice part of that... is if my coat gets really wet I can just hang it in there and let it drip on the shower floor... no mess, no problem.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Donna's Mods

A way to replace the faucet with out crawling underneath too much is to simply remove the sink. This provides all the access you need.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have two plastic boxes, one for my clothes and one for my wife's clothes. We shove them under the bed in our Egg Camper. She has one deep cooking pot that she can also use for a frying pan. Many foods are cooked either in the microwave or on our portable propane grill. The longer you camp the more you will learn about what you need (and don't need). You should have seen all the "stuff" we took on our first long trip. We actually have more storage than we'll ever use and Our Egg Camper has MORE closet space than our 31 ft Kodiak travel trailer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We have two plastic boxes, one for my clothes and one for my wife's clothes. We shove them under the bed in our Egg Camper. She has one deep cooking pot that she can also use for a frying pan. Many foods are cooked either in the microwave or on our portable propane grill. The longer you camp the more you will learn about what you need (and don't need). You should have seen all the "stuff" we took on our first long trip. We actually have more storage than we'll ever use and Our Egg Camper has MORE closet space than our 31 ft Kodiak travel trailer.
Microwave, that's something that requires a current tree. Not workable for me. Glad you enjoy it though.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A way to replace the faucet with out crawling underneath too much is to simply remove the sink. This provides all the access you need.
Yeah, found that out AFTER I decided I could just NOT remove the sink Where were you Norm before I started . Anyone contemplating a faucet change-out, do yourself a favor and remove the flippin' sink and save yourself a bunch of body bruises
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions everyone. I can see I will be making trips to Ikea and the dollar store.
Norm and Ginny - do you have photos of the shelves you made, I really like that idea but need to see it - I do better with visuals!
Donna - loved all the mods you linked to,thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I added interior lighting to the overhead cabinets in my Escape: LED Lighting Post
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
In my Boler the PO installed shelves and metal drawers under the shelves in the closet. I added a wooden pull-out drawer for my pots and this allows me access to the wheel-well. Then I got looking at that space and decided to added a door below with a magazine rack attached to access the space in front of the wheel-well to use as my bar.

Karen
Attached Thumbnails
016.jpg   IMG_0793.jpg  

IMG_0794.jpg  
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Our overhead galley lockers in the Burro somehow hold all our cooking utensils, a folding dishrack and dishpan. We have a hanging locker aft of the galley above the furnace and the converter/electrical service. Less [shelves] is more [space] so got 2 large and 3 small plastic boxes with lids from WallyWorld for all dry food supplies. They stack in this space nicely and have little room to move. Large for cereal boxes and tall items; the smaller for canned goods. crackers, fruit. Don't need hangup clothing storage really as have an expando rod transverse over the bed aft. This rod does not affect the operation of the aft locker lids. As the Burro is 86" wide inside back there, there's plenty of room for a few things hung up without blocking TV or otherwise being inconvenient. As in case of previous poster, the mud porch is the head; very sturdy shower curtain rod holds dripdry. Just twist the hook of the hanger 90 degrees out of parallel with the hanger and all water is caught inside the shower pan. Do have a silverware drawer under the front dinette table as we really don't havce any counter level storage in the galley.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmmmm never had it stick around long enough to need its own cabinet.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
hmmmmm never had it stick around long enough to need its own cabinet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
We haven't done anything in our cupboards. What have you two been doing in your cupboards, and how did you fit in there to do it? Wouldn't the back seat work better?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I added movable wire shelves to the bottom of my cupboard and one of them is just right for storing wine bottles on their side ;-))))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote