Interior Done! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Scott, you did a great job! This is reading like a how-to for our new-to-us Bigfoot 5th-wheel, which probably needs a lot of the same repairs and more. This is just what we needed, for not only your how-to tips but also for inspiration to tackle our project, which is a bit intimidating at this point. Before we start tearing apart the floor, we have some questions.

What year is your Bigfoot? Ours is a 1984 and we are guessing yours is slightly newer because it looks very much the same except for the fabric and shower enclosure.

What did you use to grind out the damaged floor? What did you use to fill in the damaged floor area?

Is the shower enclosure a one-piece unit or are the shower walls separate from the floor pan?

When you installed the toilet, did you have to modify the toilet flange?

Did you have to make any repairs to the fiberglass on the roof or by the hitch light? We have a gaping hole where the light used to be!

Thanks for your help!

Maureen & Chris
Thank you Maureen. Mine is also an '84.

I used a grinding stone on a 1/2" drill to get the rotten spots out of the plywood floor. Just ground until I got dust instead of pulp. The dips left behind I filled with two part expoxy glue and let it set up. I was lucky in that the water damage was much less than I had thought from the springy floor. That springy/soft feeling was mostly due to missing rubber shims between the frame and the fiberglass bottom. An easy fix. The new floor plywood was put in using contact cement and wood screws. The floor no longer flexes or squeeks, which really pleased me.

The shower enclosure is a one piece unit.

I didn't modify the toilet flange, but I would have had to put some sort of extension in if I had moved it up the the level of the new flooring. Instead I cut the new floor sheets to go around it and sealed the tile to toilet edge with brown silicone. I was able to get away with that because for some odd reason the flooring in the bathroom was all good, just water stained. Very strange considering the toilet was the source of the leak which had caused the floor damage. I can only assume that the trailer was parked most of the time with a significant tilt which caused the water to drain out to the main room and get trapped in the low spot where the floor had sagged.

I haven't had to do any fiberglass repair yet, however I see a few rocks have punched small holes in the lower front by the the frame which I will have to repair.

If you do a search on the forums here for fiberglass patching you'll get all sorts of great info! I'd think it would be simplest just to fiberglass over the hole where the hitch light was. Personally I doubt I'll be hooking up in the dark that much....

Post some pictures of your work as you go, I would enjoy seeing it and learning more myself about these things.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #16

Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Washington
Thanks so much for your help, Scott. Chris has done some fiberglass work before for our old 17' Bigfoot, but never a gaping hole! Regardless, I'm sure he will be able to fix it and it will be as good as new. We did find some good fiberglass repair tips on this forum when Chris did the work on our old trailer. Everyone on this website is so helpful! We'll post some pictures soon.

Maureen

Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Scott, that's beautiful work! Now you can go out and enjoy your rig.

--Peter

Maureen, you and Chris will do fine. If Chris can build a garage, he can fix a trailer.

--Peter
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Scott, that's beautiful work! Now you can go out and enjoy your rig.

--Peter

Maureen, you and Chris will do fine. If Chris can build a garage, he can fix a trailer.

--Peter
Thanks Peter!

I had to laugh last night, I caught my wife out showing off the trailer to her best friend. I think she's taken a liking to it, either that or she enjoys having me out of the house all evening working on it...... Hmmmm??

Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
I had to laugh last night, I caught my wife out showing off the trailer to her best friend. I think she's taken a liking to it, either that or she enjoys having me out of the house all evening working on it...... Hmmmm??
Awe, that's so cute, the Bigfoot has officially won her over!