Interior Panel Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Shaidah
Trailer: 81 Bigfoot, 17'
British Columbia
Interior Panel Replacement

My husband and I spent the day removing wallpaper from our 1981-17.5' Bigfoot. Some spots came off easy, most- not so much. Our plan is to remove the wallpaper glue (hopefully it will come off), replace the panels with water damage, hopefully find and seal the leaks, and paint the remaining panels. (Along with new flooring, lighting, faucet, upholstery, curtains, etc. but my husband doesn't need to know all my plans right now, right?)

We will take and post pictures when it starts looking better.

Just to mention, most of the water seems to be coming in from the bolts that are holding the awning in place. Other problems spots are under the windows.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to replace the panels? Is the "red glue" really necessary or can I just used contact cement? It looks like the previous owners took out all the kitchen cabinets before doing their really poor wallpapering job. The wall paper is also tucked up under the windows, perhaps they removed the windows when they wallpapered?? We still have a lot of work ahead of us before we are ready to paint and replace the panels. Any tips, or if anyone can refer us to a previous post where someone explains how to do this, would be super helpful. (I did a search and apologize in advance if someone has already started a similar thread.)

Thanks!
Shaidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm sorry I can't help... maybe someone else can. But, rather than waiting to post pictures when it looks better.... it maybe more helpful to find solutions if you posted pictures at its worst. Truly we've a lot of people here that can give you tips, but... we would like to see what you're up against...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Hi Shaiah, You could try Mike Rosum RV in B.C. (1-800-667-0024). They seem very helpful and now may be their slow season. You may be close enough to even take it there! Mark Holmes has an online presence, former Bigfoot trouble shooter at the old factory. He's helped us for a small donation.
Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Name: Shaidah
Trailer: 81 Bigfoot, 17'
British Columbia
Here are a couple pictures with the wall paper removed. There isn't much to see- all panels below the windows need to be removed and replaced. Removing the wall paper glue on the panels we are planning on keeping is a slow process . I am wondering if it would be faster to just replace all the panels. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
P1070583.jpg   P1070584.jpg  

Shaidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have a 1980 15B17G Bigfoot with unaltered interior panels. From your photos and descriptions, I think you are dealing with the original woodgrain plastic film that covers the luan plywood on early Bigfoot interior panels. My only water damage to this film is behind the gaucho back cushions and under the windows. I couldn't find any leak there and can only assume that a previous owner towed in the rain without locking the windows closed. The "red glue" you asked about is water soluble contact cement that holds the plywood panels to the foam insulation. Most glues will damage styrofoam. So test new glue before use. Good luck with your big remodel.

1980 Bigfoot :: kitchen picture by tomNjo - Photobucket