Interior Redo! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Interior Redo!

I just finished redecorating my Scamp and took it on its first (and might be only) adventure of the summer. Thought I would share the pics with you. But I can't get the dang things to load (I used to be able to, so I can't figure out why it's not working anymore...), so I'm posting the link to my blog. I know it's another annoying step, but apparently technology has failed me. And I'm so irritated with trying to get it work that I've given up. So there's a link to see the pics.

What I Did: new vinyl floor (with an orange crate under the dinette to hold leveling stuff); new curtains; new bedspread; new lamp and vacuum; new storage on closet door.

Here's the link to the post.

And here's a link to the post of my trip to Interstate State Park in Taylor's Falls, MN (with a side trip to the Mecca that is the Scamp factory). Happy traveling, all!

-k
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Luv the redo Karen! Well done. Did you add the drawers under the overhead bin at the rear? Havent seen that before - good idea.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you need help with photos, let me know. Your links did work
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Your Redo looks wonderful! Good job, and thanks for the pics.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Karen, great storage idea's and execution. When I saw your cats looking out the curtain, the first thing I thought of was my grandma's back seat car deck, when she had two stuffed cats and their eye's lite up when she braked.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Very nice!

I may need to learn how to sew. I want new curtains, new cushion upholstery, a duvet cover that matches etc. And I'm too cheap to pay someone to do them.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Very nice!

I may need to learn how to sew. I want new curtains, new cushion upholstery, a duvet cover that matches etc. And I'm too cheap to pay someone to do them.
You can learn to sew...several of the guys here do sew.....also remember ,depending on what you want to cover ,you can also use stalpes and for curtains you can use iron on tape for the hems and tops to run rods thru. my DD used iron on tape to make all of her curtains,very simple design very pretty fabric.

Keep up all your good work..you are doing great.

Happy Camping...Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Really nice job. I need to build shelves in my closet. You are so organized!!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
You can learn to sew...several of the guys here do sew.....also remember ,depending on what you want to cover ,you can also use stalpes and for curtains you can use iron on tape for the hems and tops to run rods thru. my DD used iron on tape to make all of her curtains,very simple design very pretty fabric.

Keep up all your good work..you are doing great.

Happy Camping...Lynn
My mom thought me to use a sewing machine when I was about 7. Maybe some of it will come back to me! I'd like to get good enough to do custom upholstery on my Miatas and Scamp projects as well. And heck, perhaps even some costumes for burning man. Just seems like a useful skill!

Anyone have a small, yet not useless portable sewing maching suitable for Scamp living? Light weight, small, but still strong enough to sew through thicker upholstery materials? Not leather so much, but fake leathers, thicker synthetic weaves used in trailer upholstery etc.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
Karen nice redo! What did you use for vinyl flooring. I have been thinking about taking the carpet out of my 85 scamp.
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #11

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Quote:
My mom thought me to use a sewing machine when I was about 7. Maybe some of it will come back to me! I'd like to get good enough to do custom upholstery on my Miatas and Scamp projects as well. And heck, perhaps even some costumes for burning man. Just seems like a useful skill!

Anyone have a small, yet not useless portable sewing maching suitable for Scamp living? Light weight, small, but still strong enough to sew through thicker upholstery materials? Not leather so much, but fake leathers, thicker synthetic weaves used in trailer upholstery etc.
tip: start with curtains. they're wicked easy.

as for machines, that's a tougher one. I've got a 15 year old (or so) 99$ singer I just used to do our awning, cushions, curtains, etc. worked good for all that, but i don't think i'd consider it suitable for scamp living in a 13'er. It's a little big for that. and I'm not sure i've ever sewn vinyl with it. (though i might soon.)

I used to work in a JoAnn Fabrics during college and ours had a little sewing center where they demo'ed machines and things, but I haven't seen one of those in a long time. now they just have machines on display. haven't noticed if they're functional or not. there are some new smaller machines, just not sure of how strong they are. wouldn't hurt to ask if it could be tried out on a swatch of vinyl. Honestly, if you go in asking questions about sewing machines, someone would probably be glad to help you. finding guys in a fabric store are less common than women in an autoparts store. we always appreciated it when guys came in wanting to know/learn things.

or if they won't, a smaller sewing center type place would probably be happy to demonstrate\let you test them out to find one that fits what you need. (I see a JoAnn's near cottonwood mall in ABQ. I've seen you mention that before, but not sure if thats where in NM you are, or what little places might be around.)

sorry for the hijacking of your thread, karen! good job with your projects! like the color scheme.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:

That is great to know and a wonderful skill! it will come back...my DH tought all 3 of our DD's to knit and work on cars.I took care of the sewing machine skillsand cooking.We have always been a DIY kind of family & always did everything together.Now they are all almost better at things not cinsidered "girl stuff" than their husbands...thats good to because their husbands like to cook & clean better than they do works good for them as they all like camping and outdoors type stuff.

As for a good machine to do all types of things that you want to do and is small ...go to a Quilt shop & talk to them. This company has a small machine that is heavy duty enough to do what you want to do HUSQVARNA VIKING® they have a dealer locater tab & you can do a little reading about them. In the fall of the year quilt shops that carry sewing machines have good sales( before they go to market,for the new year models)

Good luck....

Karen..sorry about hijacking your thread...hopefully I shared some inforamtion others can use.

Happy Camping to all....Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Honestly, if you go in asking questions about sewing machines, someone would probably be glad to help you. finding guys in a fabric store are less common than women in an autoparts store. we always appreciated it when guys came in wanting to know/learn things.
You are very correct I think. I was in JoAnne's a few weeks back looking at possible upholstery patterns/materials and within 60 seconds I had a very friendly/helpful lady who did not leave my side the entire 30 minutes I was in the store! Very much the equivalent of the lady in the autoparts store with the guys falling over themselves to "help" out.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

British Columbia
H|Class? 100Q

"One for the road", still looks a bit bigger than what I'd hoped for.

Sorry to continue the distraction on this thread. Perhaps a "Sewing for Dummies", "Sewing on the road", or "Sewing for those with both X and Y chromosomes", thread would be useful.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #15

Virginia
Quote:
You are very correct I think. I was in JoAnne's a few weeks back looking at possible upholstery patterns/materials and within 60 seconds I had a very friendly/helpful lady who did not leave my side the entire 30 minutes I was in the store! Very much the equivalent of the lady in the autoparts store with the guys falling over themselves to "help" out.
though hopefully with less of the "she's a female, she can't possibly know a thing about cars, i'll treat her like she's an idiot".

Quote:
H|Class? 100Q "One for the road", still looks a bit bigger than what I'd hoped for.
yeah, that doesn't look much smaller than what i've got. something like the size of the Singer Pixie (what a terrible name) looks like it'd be a good size, but it seems to be very poor quality, from the reviews. Bummer.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
though hopefully with less of the "she's a female, she can't possibly know a thing about cars, i'll treat her like she's an idiot".
No, none of that, I've been known to come to the aid of women in auto parts stores being given the "She probably doesn't know better" treatment. Deplorable the lies salesmen make when they think they can get away with it.

But got the vibe I had a date if I wanted it, I'll just put it that way. She was nice, and not entirely unpleasant to look at, but just wasn't feeling the vibe she seemed to me feeling. Or some people just enjoy being flirtatious just for sport/entertainment.

Quote:
yeah, that doesn't look much smaller than what i've got. something like the size of the Singer Pixie (what a terrible name) looks like it'd be a good size, but it seems to be very poor quality, from the reviews. Bummer.
The Pixie looks like a good size, where are these questionable reviews?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #17

Virginia
right on that site. think the link was towards the upper right.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #18

Carol H., the magazine racks were there when I bought the Scamp. Haven't figured out a good use for them yet, but someday...

Right, and sewing isn't that hard, once you get the basics down. My mom always sewed and we had a unit on sewing in home ec during high school. Those of you interested in learning to sew could also cultivate relationships with older ladies (not that older men can't sew...)--and churches are sometimes a good place to find people who know how to sew. The church I grew up in had a very active quilting group, for example. Most of the ladies who were a part of it were widows who I'm sure would welcome somebody interested.

Robert Detrick, the vinyl was a roll I got from Menards (and used on the floor of the dinette) and there was enough left over to do the floor. I didn't take up the carpet, so it's a little softer with that cushion. I basically just laid the vinyl over the carpet, cut the trim pieces to fit around the edges, then screwed them down. So far it works pretty well. We'll see how it holds up!

Karen
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Sherril
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Idaho
Hi Karen.

Thanks for the link and pics to your scamp. I just bought mine recently, and up until yesterday it was being worked on by my friend's Dad (replaced electrical, new water hoses and pump, fixed outside lights, etc) so the inside hasn't really begun yet.

I really liked how you made use of that closet. Would you, or anyone else reading this post,please give me some ideas, and supplies you used to utilize this area better? Thanks in advance.

Sherril
"Brand new 1980 Scamp Owner"
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #20

Sherril, here's the link to a previous post on the shelving, when I first put it together. It's actually really easy and except for the cutting of the shelves to fit, didn't require any more tools than a PVC cutter (which was fun to play with). And then this year, I staple-gunned the shoe holder to the inside of the door. Good luck with your closet!