Internet Connection While Camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Internet Connection While Camping?

Does anyone know how to connect your egg to the Internet from anywhere?

There are TV solutions.
Are there Internet solutions?

I would like to be able to download and read the newspaper on my iPad while having coffee!
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I'm guessing you didn't get a 3G enabled iPad. That would have been the best solution. It's really nice, because you don't have a contract. You can sign up right from the iPad and also cancel the service from the iPad. No phone call, no visit to a store, no extra devices or cables.

3G enabled iPads also have GPS onboard. Pretty handy for finding a campground. Also handy if you misplace your iPad, since you can simply go online or use an iPhone to tack it on a map. You can also lock it or wipe all data off of it remotely. My wife made the mistake of buying a wifi-only iPad when they first came out. She figured out that it couldn't do half the things she wanted, so she took it back, even though she lost about $80 on the restocking fee.

If yours isn't 3G, just remember that the new iPad3 is going to be announced this Friday! There should be a lot of iPad1 and iPad2 models available used or "refurbished" once people start buying the new one. I will almost certainly be picking up the new model, and may decide to sell off my iPad1. I might keep it around as a high end photo frame and TV remote, though.

Your other options would be to tether it to a smart phone or get yourself a my-fi or other mobile hotspot device. That will almost certainly involve a lengthy contract.

I can't stress how great the iPad 3G is. It turns it into a whole different device.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have a Verizon mifi 2200. Since it uses the cell phone system it works just about everywhere. In combination wth the Ipad it is very nice for traveling, finding camp grounds, places to eat, ect. That said, being in rural Vt. highspeed internet is hard to come by. Right now the mifi is the only way for us to get internet at home other than dail up. That's the advantage to the mifi over the 3G Ipad. It is a wifi hotspot. The down side is it is expensive and the data cap limits our internet use in many ways. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

California
I love my iPad too! The iPad 3 announcement should be today in an hour!

I would like to make Mouse WiFi enabled and not have to deal with spotty 3G connections.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
I would like to make Mouse WiFi enabled and not have to deal with spotty 3G connections.
You need a REALLY long CAT5 cable.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I'm guessing you didn't get a 3G enabled iPad. That would have been the best solution. It's really nice, because you don't have a contract. You can sign up right from the iPad and also cancel the service from the iPad. No phone call, no visit to a store, no extra devices or cables.
Which service do you use AT&T or Verizon?
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
We've had an AT&T iPad and a Verizon iPad 2 (along with AT&T iPhones) and it seems that the Verizon iPad has better 3G coverage.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The ipad 3 will have 4G and be tetherable. But I am going to stick with my iPad 1 and 3G as long as I can manage as I have the unlimited data plan they initially came out with (and deep-sixed after less than two months.)

Ipad is a GREAT solution, I find reception is really good, it doesnt take much room, and you can play games on it as well as use it as a GPS. I have taken it out hiking and then used it to see where I am exactly. Very cool. It has great GPS.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Which service do you use AT&T or Verizon?
George.
I have Verizon. I also have the unlimited data plan. I am hoping that my unlimited plan will transfer to the iPad 3. Verizon does seem to have better coverage than AT&T. I have AT&T on my iPhone, and also have an unlimited data plan there. I like having one on each service... A better chance of having a good connection.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Could you use something like this WIFI hotspot?

Newegg.com - Cradlepoint Black Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot w/ 3G&4G Ready / WiPipe Powered (PHS300)

You need compatible 3G phone.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
My 'workable' Internet Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Does anyone know how to connect your egg to the Internet from anywhere?

There are TV solutions.
Are there Internet solutions?

I would like to be able to download and read the newspaper on my iPad while having coffee!
Hi Brook;

My Internet configuration consists of: a Yagi Internet antenna, a Wilson amplifier and a Verizon USB760 modem. We usually spend the summer in OR, near a beautiful Lake surrounded by trees. Very few people have a decent Internet connection there. The signal I receive, is strong enough to allow me to connect to my client's computer and work on their 'system'.

I still have a job, supporting clients, over the Internet. The problem is that we like to hang out in places where there is no Internet or maybe I should say the signal is not easily captured. The above configuration has been working well for me. Switching from Sprint to Verizon also made a huge difference.

I be glad to 'show and tell', my system to you, in May at Lake San Antonio.
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Could you use something like this WIFI hotspot?

Newegg.com - Cradlepoint Black Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot w/ 3G&4G Ready / WiPipe Powered (PHS300)

You need compatible 3G phone.

This is cool! I wonder how well it works?

Subscription to use your phone as a hotspot isn't cheap as others have mentioned.

Another option if you're comfortable with it, and you're aware your phone company probably isn't thrilled about it, is to root your phone (many Androids can anyway) and turn your smart phone into a hotspot without a monthly subscription. Apps to do this are free, to maybe a couple bucks. Data charges would apply when using it unless you have an unlimited data plan. Google "root tether" and your phone model, somebody probably has a video on how to get it done...

Then, you have wifi for your laptop anywhere you have cell service, without a monthly fee. As Donna says, YMMV
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #13

California
All the solutions I have found require 3G or a local WiFi. I was hoping for a solution that could setup a new WiFi connection at my egg.

Do most camping locations have AT&T 3G or a WiFi?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
All the solutions I have found require 3G or a local WiFi. I was hoping for a solution that could setup a new WiFi connection at my egg.

You'll need a signal of some kind to setup your new wifi connection in your camper. This is possible thru the cell/3G signals (regardless of the tower, AT&T or any other company) that may or may not be at your camping locations. If you have cell coverage, you can create a wifi connection by creating a hotspot.

If you don't have cell coverage - then the campground would have to bring it in via cable, DSL, or some other physical means; then broadcast that signal wirelessly. Other than that, w/o cell signal, you'd need a satellite signal/setup (or a STRONG receiver of some sort, as has been described earlier).

As for whether most campgrounds have wifi - that completely depends on what type of camping you're doing. Seems like many RV-specific places advertise it, but I've never camped at one. We prefer to camp in the sticks and sometimes don't have cell coverage. Others may have more experience to share.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I use a Verizon air card when travelling. Service can be suspended for 90 days if wanted.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
many comercial campgrounds are going wifi.
and many currently are wired for internet access.
some state parks are able to get wifi from near sources,,but thats iffy.
of course you can get a sat. dish and internet package. many people that travel a lot mount a dish and a reciever, then just bring their access card from home on trips.
also while traveling ,,,just about every truck stop has wifi, or hardwire internet access.

and thats all i know about it,,,personaly,,,i listen to my am/fm/sw radio while having my coffee in the morning,,,then,,,,go fishin.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: Boler
Arizona
If you can get a phone signal, you can get an internet connection via all the options people spoke about above. We traveled thru the NW last summer in our Boler, surprisingly, we were unable to get much of a signal from our ATT service for the Ipad..Funny thing is, a week into our summer long trip, we stopped missing being tethered to the internet..

Please see the link to my daily drawing blog if you have an interest.. thanks.

www.j-drawingaday.blogspot.com
screaminbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have Millenicom's "Advanced Plan" which provides 20GB per month on the Verizon network for $59.99 per month (with no additional fees or taxes). This is a 3G plan, however they also offer 4G solutions if you are in areas that have 4G coverage. It uses a USB modem that can be plugged directly into a laptop, however I have mine plugged into a WiFi Ranger router.

The WiFi Ranger router has 3 inputs - the USB modem, an Ethernet connector or it can pick up the campground WiFi. You choose the input & it provides your own WiFi network.

Because I'm often in areas that have weak cell signals I have an amplifier. I purchased a Wilson Vehicle Booster Kit and combined that with a Wilson Trucker/RV antenna mounted on the rear of the Escape. The combination provides a boosted signal area within 5'-7' on the interior antenna.

Because the entire system runs on 12V, I can use it to provide a WiFi signal to the tow vehicle while driving. Useful when my AT&T iPhone can't find a AT&T tower (happens often in the southwest.)
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #19

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse

Not sure exactly what you are looking for. If you are at a campground (or hotel, for that matter) that offers wired Internet, and you want to turn that into wifi, then you want to get yourself an Apple AirPort Express. They are easy to set up... You can control it from Apple's AirPort setup app on your iPad. You'll be able to connect any wifi device to it... But there has to be a network for it to connect to.

If you are at a campground that doesn't provide Internet, then you will either need a cellular-based connection (3G, EV-DO, 4G-LTE, etc), or a satellite connection. You will mot always be in range of a cellular-based system... Just like you may not have cell phone service at every campground Satellite is not always a good idea when you are in the woods. You need line-of-sight to the satellite, and the setup is a bit more difficult than satellite TV, since Internet is two-way.

Your cellular options are: 3G/4G-LTE enabled iPad, cell phone with tethering, or a hotspot device (MiFi, at al).

For what it's worth, I just pre-ordered a new iPad, so I may be selling my iPad 32gb 3G (1st gen).
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:

A router is a device that sets up a local WiFi signal, but you still need to find a way to get the internet to the router.

Most use a cell based data card or device from one of the major carriers, but if you absolutely have to have a data connection, a satellite system works as long as you can see the south sky. The problem with that is it is expensive, fairly slow, and if you use too much data they cut your speed back to very slow rates. Setting it up, aiming, etc can be a chore.

As to what most campgrounds have; many have WiFi, however is is often overloaded & slow, or weak enough that it is only available near the office. There are WiFi amplifiers & external antennas that can improve reception, but if the signal isn't there you are not going to have WiFi.

Some campgrounds have AT&T coverage, Some have Verizon, some have other carriers, and some have all the carriers, however in many areas of the country, particularly the southwest, Verizon provides a better signal. The carriers other than AT&T & Verizon generally only cover cities & along major routes. No matter what cell based carrier you use there will be places where it doesn't work & others do. Some people use a data modem on one carrier & tether their smart phone on another.

There will always be areas that have no cell or WiFi coverage - that is when a satellite system is necessary.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote