Is It Possible to Add a Front Cabinet to Scamp 13? How? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #15

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
WOW! This is why I love this place! Ask a question, and get a whole bunch of good people wanting to help you out. Carol, I'm not sure what you mean by top front and bottom rear...although I know what top and bottom is. Basically, how I picture it with my pea brain is that all the rivets are from inside the cabinet, 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom, or is there a "lip" of fiberglass that they shoot them into that surrounds the cabinet? Thank you so very much Carol, I read a lot of your posts and you are amazing to me.

Second, David & Paula...we have talked via private message several times, and I'd much rather do your wire shelf thing as it's cheaper, but isn't my trailer laid out different than yours? All I have are side cabinets over the bench seats at the dinette area, and I THINK they run clear to the end of the trailer. In your pic, there is a "space" between the end of the cabinet and the wire shelf...UNLESS, you used that angle aluminum between the space of the upper kitchen cabinet and the front of the trailer?? But then, there's no cabinet on the other side to adhere the angle aluminum to, so I'm perplexed how you did that. I thought it a fabulous idea when we were writing to one another, but I must be missing something, because since you suggested it, I know you are right because I'm a newbie.

I called Scamp today, just so you all know...they are (have) gotten rid of the oakey type cabinets and are now using a cherrywood color, so they're searching for oak type wood as we speak. Also, tables only come in white now.

Further, Devon at Scamp told me that a person sleeping on the top bunk would only have about 18" between his or her head and the upper cabinet. But I called a friend of mine who has a whopper of a travel trailer with the bunks, and she got about the same type of head height (18" of space above around a 7" width head...tee hee). I guess you just have to finnagle your way out of there, but hopefully, that upper bunk will be saved for just my wee grandchildren some day...

One further question to anybody who has read this far, I'm going to cut my closet space down to the height of the wheel well. The current door is 18 x 32...have any of you done this and can give me an idea of the length of the door I'll need from them?

Thank you so very much,
Wendy (Campy Time)

Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Wendy, I have the upper cabinet in my 13' Scamp with bunkbeds. Both the upper and lower bunk are tough, but my grandchildren ages 4, 8 and 11 have all slept on them with no complaints. I've slept in the lower bunk before and I have to kind of shimmy in and out. But it works. I wouldn't want it to be my full time bed but for ocassional use it works. And the grandkids love going camping with their Nonni. The only complaint is that they usually don't want to go home.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Forgot to mention that if you get the Scamp cabinet, you should get the largest door possible. Mine was small and vertually useless. So I took the doors off and cut the hole larger. No problems with stuff bouncing out and stuff in bins is very useful for me.
I'm wondering what you're planning for the current closet area. I love have everyone makes their trailers suit their needs. Post some pictures when you get started.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020637.jpg  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

New York
Registry
Thank You Otters

Hi Otters (Love your User Name),
You just sold me. I know it will be a tight squeeze, but I think the extra cabinet space will suit me well. I love Dave and Paula's wire shelf thingy, and he has given me plenty of his time already explaining it. I just think that somehow his layout is different than mine and it works...as I can't see what he supports it to on the left hand side of his picture (unless the angle aluminum on the window holds up the left side, and the angle aluminum anchored to the cabinet in his pic offers the frontward support). I'm no genius, but I do try to figure things out. In short, where would we all be without this forum?
Have a good night Otters. Hopefully, Scamp can find me the wood I need!

Sincerely,
Wendy (CampyTime) but not camping now cuz' we already have snow in Western New York! UGH!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #19

New York
Registry
Thank You Again

When I call Scamp tomorrow I'll be sure to ask for a HUGE DOOR. Makes sense to me!

Wendy
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
WOW! This is why I love this place! Ask a question, and get a whole bunch of good people wanting to help you out. Carol, I'm not sure what you mean by top front and bottom rear...although I know what top and bottom is. Basically, how I picture it with my pea brain is that all the rivets are from inside the cabinet, 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom, or is there a "lip" of fiberglass that they shoot them into that surrounds the cabinet? Thank you so very much Carol, I read a lot of your posts and you are amazing to me.
The cabinet does have a fiberglass lip on it that you put the rivets through much the same as the overhead bins in your kitchen area so the rivets go on the outside through the lip area not inside the bin. You shoot the rivet from the outside into an acorn nuts on the inside of the trailer. By bottom rear I mean the lip part of the bin that sits right above the curtains. As far as spacing goes as mention one goes right in the middle of the bin/lip and the other ones go at just outside the width of the front window - Scamp often uses either the same hole to attach the curtain rob holder or if thats to low for a snug fit for the bin they put the bin rivet right above the curtain rod holder. By front top I am referring to the top front lip of the bin that attaches through the roof just above what would be the bins opening.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp