Is undermount sink feasible? Countertop? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Is undermount sink feasible? Countertop?

I'd like to try an undermount, in order to save more counterspace. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea in an RV?

Any recommendations out there for quality yet lightweight counter top?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Can you elaborate on the "undermount sink"?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
In general I don't see an issue with an under-mount but things to consider.
  • you would need a solid surface type counter-top, most of these are quite heavy in weight
  • any sink I have seen for under-mount application is large, this would compromise the extra counter space you are trying to achieve
An alternative would be to have a custom stainless steel counter made with integrated sink.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #4

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
You could do it in a thin butcher block wood type counter...I wouldn't do that for every day use, but it's worth considering for what you need. I've seen bar and produce prep and hand washing sinks that look about the size you'd want...
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
[*]any sink I have seen for under-mount application is large, this would compromise the extra counter space you are trying to achieve[/LIST]An alternative would be to have a custom stainless steel counter made with integrated sink.
A little bar stainless type sink is what I'm thinking of: Bowl size: Width 16.5-Inch x Depth 13-Inch x Height 6.5-Inch

or

Bowl size: 18.2 x 18.2 x 7.2 inches

An undermount application would save several inches of countertop all the way around, but the counter material (as you point out) is also a crucial concern.

I have seen undermounts with laminates, but really don't believe they are water-resistant in the long run, and I think other solid surfaces would be too heavy.

A well-sealed butcher block would probably be more lightweight... but I do loves me some solid surfaces stuffs!

Are there other alternatives that are not immediately coming to mind?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
What about a concrete countr? You can use lightweight concrete over a foam core...
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
What about a concrete countr? You can use lightweight concrete over a foam core...
Jennifer, that is a good suggestion! I'm not sure I have the skills to pull it off... but will definitely look into it! (I do like the idea of a foam core, likely to be very lightweight)
Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm not sure you'd gain that much with an undermount sink. A cutting board over the sink provides a lot more counter space, as does a cover over the stove. That said, if you manage your cooking and food well enough you don't need that extra 1" of counter space.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm not sure you'd gain that much with an undermount sink. A cutting board over the sink provides a lot more counter space, as does a cover over the stove. That said, if you manage your cooking and food well enough you don't need that extra 1" of counter space.
Never underestimate the need for an extra 1" of counter space!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't know your layout, but, we have a counter extension ( left in pic ) that can be folded down, although we never do. It is over the bed. And we have a sink cover.
We get additional space ( depending on what we're doing ) with the range cover down.
Not expensive and easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails
17b kitchen counter.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
You can do an undermount with laminate. I have done a few, but not for a lot of years now. You just have to get a piece of 3/4" Corian the colour you like, sized about 3" larger than the sink. You have them router it out according to the sink template. Cut out a hole in the wood top, and splice in the Corian. Then when you put the laminate on, you can run it over the Corian, router out the hole, and have a nice Corian edge showing at the sink.

Or, you could just do the whole countertop with Corian, as if it is not large, it would not cost all that much in money, and weight.

But, like others said, you really will not save much counter space. Ikea has a nice round and square sinks that have a flat flange that only stick up from the countertop 1/16" of an inch. Lots of other makes too.

Another option is to use an undermount sink as a drop in. Many have a nice finish to the flange, and all you have to do is cement a few attachment point onto the bowl to hold it down, as well as use a liberal amount of caulking under the flange, cleaning up any excess that oozes out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 AM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You can do an undermount with laminate...

Or, you could just do the whole countertop with Corian, as if it is not large, it would not cost all that much in money, and weight.

But, like others said, you really will not save much counter space. Ikea has a ...

Another option is to use an undermount sink as a drop in. Many have a nice finish to the flange...
I really like Corian... was wondering if it was very heavy! It's clear that *guys* don't think much about adding a few inches of counter space... maybe I should just say that I LIKE the undermounted sinks better and that's what I really really want!

Ikea was the first place I looked... just continued on to Amazon to see if there were more choices. Also wondered why those undermounts with nice flanges couldn't be surface mounted...

That flip up counter extension is great... one of those (or possibly two) was also on the wish list. Can Corian be used for those as well?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:30 AM   #13

CA
This is my kitchen layout... very standard. The sink is just pretty ugly.

I'd also like to turn the stove around 1/2 turn so controls are on the right. Again, just to gain a bit more real estate.
Attached Thumbnails
h.JPG   g.JPG  

Old 10-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You can also get 1 piece smev sink/stove combos (maybe dometic now). They have a glass lid that folds flush. The sink seems rather small to me, though.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
You can also get 1 piece smev sink/stove combos (maybe dometic now). They have a glass lid that folds flush. The sink seems rather small to me, though.
I had one of these is my Escape 19, as a combo unit with the stove, and we loved it. Yes, the sink was small, but all our dishes sat in it just fine, and there is merit to a small sink. You used less water filling it, saving on your reserve.

We found that we rarely closed the sink lid though, as it was in use much of the time, but the stove cover was very often closed, giving more room for food prep, and for doing dishes too.

This is the one I have in my garage to put in my daughters trailer. I prefer it over the one I had.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #16

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
That's a good idea... I've wondered about those too.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here is the SMEV I use in my Hunter. It's 32" long but easy peasy to cleanp my stove spills. I made custom fit cutting board to fit over the sink area for prep.
I think that the only known stocking dealer in the U.S. is Panther RV in Seattle.
Quiz: How many different IKEA products are in the pic?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll guess four: countertop, faucet, shelf, and hot plates.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here is the SMEV I use in my Hunter. It's 32" long but easy peasy to cleanp my stove spills. I made custom fit cutting board to fit over the sink area for prep.
I think that the only known stocking dealer in the U.S. is Panther RV in Seattle.
Quiz: How many different IKEA products are in the pic?

seven
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Both right, depending on how you count: Counter top and shelf (2) shelf supports (2), trivets (2), Mixing Faucet (1)
Thanks....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote