Isolating the water heater tank on my ParkLiner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Isolating the water heater tank on my ParkLiner

Don't mind me folks, I have absolutely no experience with a PEX tool, but hope to start getting some soon.

I'm running a separate line to my hot water tank so it can be isolated before winterization. This saves me from filling the tank with antifreeze. From what I understand, later model ParkLiners are already set up for this. In mine the line just tee'd off to the hot water tank...

If I could get this drain hose off, I could move the water line PEX to where I could get at it easy. I loosened a screw clamp only to find another metal clamp up against the end of the hose tight to the fitting. Best to forget trying to move it?

I have two layout ideas for this line. I think I like the 2nd one best because the PEX doesn't have to curve as much. Whadya'll think?

Thanks for any help, advice, etc.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What you are doing is called a Water Heater Bypass. There are a number of u-tube videos on doing this as well as a lot of hits on Google.

A good PEX tools is a bit pricy, but if one of the small clamp-on type tools are used, the first leak will cost more in time and PITA, than the larger tool.

I

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
What you are doing is called a Water Heater Bypass. There are a number of u-tube videos on doing this as well as a lot of hits on Google.

A good PEX tools is a bit pricy, but if one of the small clamp-on type tools are used, the first leak will cost more in time and PITA, than the larger tool.

I
This is what I bought to do it (the orange thingie). I think it's the right thing?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks like the right thingy.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

New York
Did the first clamp, gage said "go" in one place, but not all around? "No go" didn't go on at all.

Fitted everything. Using Sharkbite that came with the trailer and 1/2" PEX I had laying around. Fittings are tighter in the PEX than the Sharkbite.

What do you think?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

New York
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You might want to repipe in the bypass. Makes it much easier to fill the hot water line with antifreeze.
The way it piped, how will you get antifreeze to the hot water lines?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
You might want to repipe in the bypass. Makes it much easier to fill the hot water line with antifreeze.
Missed this post I guess. Bottom line, no clue. How would I do that?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Might have been less expensive just purchasing the bypass kit with the snap in couplings. No apex tool required, etc.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Missed this post I guess. Bottom line, no clue. How would I do that?

Frank
How I do it is to add some anti freeze to the fresh water tank. Open up the hot water tanks by pass and turn on the water pump & away it goes it into the hot water tank line ...... you only need to leave the by pass open for a very short time - just long enough to fill the line. Take cap off the hot water tank drain after to make sure whats running out is actually anti freeze.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Might have been less expensive just purchasing the bypass kit with the snap in couplings. No apex tool required, etc.
Thanks Darwin, but if I had known such a kit was available, I would have done it. I had no clue.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Frank,
FYI, here's what I do. After pumping anti-freeze into the cold water side, I briefly open and close the bypass valve to get anti-freeze into the cold inlet side of the water heater. Then I open the hot and cold valves on the shower, but with the push button shut off at the shower head closed. This will force anti-freeze from the cold water side of the shower valve through the hot water side and through the piping back to the hot water outlet side of the water heater.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Frank,
FYI, here's what I do. After pumping anti-freeze into the cold water side, I briefly open and close the bypass valve to get anti-freeze into the cold inlet side of the water heater. Then I open the hot and cold valves on the shower, but with the push button shut off at the shower head closed. This will force anti-freeze from the cold water side of the shower valve through the hot water side and through the piping back to the hot water outlet side of the water heater.
Gee, I need to remember this for next year! Thanks Brian. Man, it's always something!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just a word of caution - when running the anti freeze from the fresh water side into the hot water side - in particular the shower head you would be surprised how much water remains in the hot water lines - even after you have emptied out the hot water tank. In particular the shower as its often the longest of the hot water lines from the hot water tank location. I recommend turning on the hot water taps to see the colour of the water running out - you may find that for the first 39 secs or so it is highly diluted anti freeze. Anti Freeze is pretty cheap in comparison of repairing plumping due to lack of anti freeze.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

New York
I don't think our shower was ever used, but I will keep this stuff in mind. Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner