It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #181

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Ian, this is way awesome! I'm sure this will inspire more folks to get to work on their rigs. It sure is calling me to continue on ours after several months of inactivity. Thanks man!

Slavomir
Old 01-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #182
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Love the cabinetry you've built.

I'm a great one for starting projects, but not so good at finishing them. I'm always amazed at what all you dedicated people can accomplish. Wish I had the energy and the focus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Thanks for sharing your videos. Fun to watch the Boler progress and enjoyed the music too. Can't wait to see the rest.
Thank you, trust me I have to really push myself sometime to finish things also, but the Boler itself motivates me.

Finding the music was a lot of fun ... but also took a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Ian, this is way awesome! I'm sure this will inspire more folks to get to work on their rigs. It sure is calling me to continue on ours after several months of inactivity. Thanks man!

Slavomir
hey, your welcome . Creating these videos was also a way to motivate myself, I have so much work to do on the Boler before the summer season and with the weather I am not sure when we will be able to start ...
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #183

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Your rebuild was amazing...now the video and music is Awesome!!! What a fun thing to watch in freezing temperatures, puts a smile on my face. Good job Ian!
I am sending this to my son to watch, it is so inspirational!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #184

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Thank you, trust me I have to really push myself sometime to finish things also, but the Boler itself motivates me. Finding the music was a lot of fun ... but also took a lot of time. hey, your welcome . Creating these videos was also a way to motivate myself, I have so much work to do on the Boler before the summer season and with the weather I am not sure when we will be able to start ...
Love the professional job on on your Boler And professional videos! What program did you use for videos?? You are best of show!
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #185
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
... What program did you use for videos??
Thank you Diane, Jane & Greg

The program I used for the video is Windows Movie Maker 2012. It is available free for any Windows 7 & Windows 8, part of the Windows Essentials suite. You can select which apps from the suite you want to install
Here is the download link from Microsoft
I just started using it and found it very easy to use.
Older versions of Movie maker for XP and Vista can also be found on line.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #186
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I just finished the 3rd video in the 5 part series.
Part 3 - Interior Design & Construction
Please enjoy.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #187

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Really really great video of really great craftsmen ship and design. You did the fiberglass egg proud. Hope to meet up on the road someday!
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #188

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
I kept stopping the video to gawk at what you did at each stage.
You did a great job on the renovation!

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #189
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Thank you Jane, Greg and Fran, I hope to meet you all on the road or at an event some day
Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #190
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Polishing all the aluminum on my Boler continues. This keeps me occupied during these cold snowy days.
Thought members might like to see what can be done with a standard Scamp door hinge by doing a little sanding, filing and buffing. Thank goodness there are only 2 door hinges.

Here they are side by side one before and one after polishing

Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #191

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
WOW that is AWESOME. Someone has a lot of time on his hands LOL

Quote:
Polishing all the aluminum on my Boler continues. This keeps me occupied during these cold snowy days.
Thought members might like to see what can be done with a standard Scamp door hinge by doing a little sanding, filing and buffing. Thank goodness there are only 2 door hinges.

Here they are side by side one before and one after polishing

Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #192

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Need to post another picture a couple months from now to see how it holds up. Are you going to apply some sort of protectant?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #193
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Need to post another picture a couple months from now to see how it holds up. Are you going to apply some sort of protectant?
I won't use any protectant because that actually decreases the shine, and I am not worried about the parts tarnishing. I have a lot of polished aluminum on my car's engine and it takes very little to maintain it. The key is to polish it properly, this leaves a very slick surface with a thin wax film. Then annually a light touch-up with a cloth and some Autosol which leaves that thin film of wax and very shiny aluminum.

Here is a shot of my car's engine bay
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #194
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I have been documenting an expanded write-up on the design and development of my Boler. The write-up along with a blog and eventually pictures of our trips and adventure is available on our new website which features a section (still under development) on the build and modification of my Boler, a Cool Stuff Blog where I will post "cool stuff" I find, build, or just neat ideas, and a gallery of our trips and adventures (which I have not even started to develop yet).

I still has a lot of work to do on the site but please take a look, give me your honest feedback, and help me test some of the technology behind the site to make sure it works for everyone.
www.Proud-Canadian.com
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #195

Name: David
Trailer: 17 foot boler
Alberta
looks great so far Ian !!! looks like i've got some reading to do
vette_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #196

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
Quote:
I won't use any protectant because that actually decreases the shine, and I am not worried about the parts tarnishing. I have a lot of polished aluminum on my car's engine and it takes very little to maintain it. The key is to polish it properly, this leaves a very slick surface with a thin wax film. Then annually a light touch-up with a cloth and some Autosol which leaves that thin film of wax and very shiny aluminum.

Here is a shot of my car's engine bay
Can you post either here, on a new thread, or on your blog, detailing exactly your method for polishing aluminum?
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #197
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
Can you post either here, on a new thread, or on your blog, detailing exactly your method for polishing aluminum?
I would be happy to , I will document and photograph the remaining hinge as I prepare and polish it. I will post as soon as I put this together.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #198
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
The new top, side and lip seals and gaskets arrived for the Boler side windows so I was able to reassemble the first one today. I completely disassembled the windows to polish them.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #199
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I got the seals through Vintage Trailer Supply
The side and sill gaskets were Part #VTS-526 Jalousie J-Seal
The top gasket Part #VTS-386 Jalousie Header & Sill Seal
Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!

When replacing the side and sill seals DO NOT slide them into the slots, the seals will stretch and when they relax they will be too short. Instead you can insert the upper tab and work the lower tab in with your finger nail, work very good.

Another tip is you might have noticed I have a round knob to open the window rather than the standard crank handle. I found the original Boler cranks cumbersome, got in the way of the window blinds and would "stab" me in the back when I sat down. The round knobs from roof vents that can be purchased from any RV store have the same spline and fit the Boler windows perfectly.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #200

Name: Jason
Trailer: Companion
Iowa
Ian, I started to restore my 13 ft, 85 Companion last fall (very similar to the Uhaul). When you jacked up the ceiling and installed the braces around the door did the door fit better? Do you have suggestions for someone like myself who is just getting ready to start this project?

I do what to say one more thing. You have provided inspiration for all of us that are trying to restore our trailers! The pictures and videos are amazing! Just reading this thread makes me want to go out side and shovel the 2 ft of snow away from my trailer and get working!!! Thank you so much for everything you've done for us!!!
Troutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, cabinets, custom, frame, renovation