It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #281

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 1300
Oregon
Registry
Your project has been motivating

After reading thru your 74 Boler renovation over the last week, I have decided to start on fixing up my 73 Boler after much heavy use since as I got it in the fall of 2003. I have always thought about it. After 7 years of heavy winter use, a retirement, and a major injury, I have not used my trailor for 4 years. Now I am am starting a new phase towards getting it closer to the way I always wanted it You were one of the biggest inspirations that I read. Your postings and pictures were amazing.. You did an amazing job. I registered on this site 2 yrs ago and have just looked off and on. Today I finally posted some pictures of my trailer, tow vehicle, and a history of the trailer for the first time. Thanks for your inspiration

Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #282

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Welcome to FiberglassRV Jim. I just read the history of your Boler under your profile. Thanks for sharing!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #283
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Thank you Jim and welcome to the group, I also read your history and I can echo parts of your story, I was the passing on my Mom and Joan parents that created the thoughts of spending more quality time together in a special camper, hence the Boler.

Your Boler sounds very special, work on making it what you want but don't miss out on using it either. Try to look at all your changes and upgrades as mini projects that you can work on in a reasonable timeframe, then take a break and enjoy camping in it.

I have 2 websites that you may also find useful:
Proud-Canadian.com where I have a more concice atricle on my Boler Build :My Cusrom Boler"
and
Boler-Camping.com, this site I just created last week and will be building it into a very comprehensive resource for Boler owners.
Please post updates and pictures as your project progresses and don't be afraid to ask any questions of seek motivation.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #284

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Welcome to the group Jim and a great story.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #285

Name: Tony
Trailer: 1978 Genuine Boler
British Columbia
Hello Ian and group! My wife and I picked up a 13' 1978 Boler a couple of years ago, mostly original and suffering from a few leaks but we've dragged it around the continent a couple of times. Now it needs some serious work, and the instruction I've received is, 'fix it or sell it.'

So ... I am madly learning all I can about my impending reno project. Ian, I have a question for you. My door sags and the poor egg could use some good bracing, and I love the laminated cedar supports you epoxied into place. Where did you get them/how did you make them? And how did you get the exact curve to make them to?

If you've already answered this just point me to the post, and many thanks in advance for your help. BTW, I work in Kootenay Park, and I'm pretty sure I met you and poked my nose into Buttercup last summer!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:05 AM   #286
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Hello Tony.

To start with you need to determine the cause of the sagging, please review my "Boler Buyer Guide" the describes the common problems and how to identify them. The first thing you need to do is return the Boler body back to the original shape, the supports are just there to maintain the shape. Use the door as a guide when correcting body sag, the door curvature will remain constant, the sag in the body is what causes the door gap so by returning the body to the original shape the door will fit. To reshape the body take a read through my article on "door and hinge adjustment", it describes how to.

The actual supports are Cedar 4"x4" posts laminated to 4"x8" and using an angled lap scarf joint at the wall to roof transition. With the body shape corrected a template is made of each support location and the cedar posts are cut to a thickness of about 2" x 3.5" wide with a band saw then sanded, edges rounded with a router and finally epoxied to the fibergalss shell using West System which is designed for use on acidic woods (using a thickener for this application).

I hope this explains the process, if not please ask.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #287

Trailer: 1978 Genuine Boler
British Columbia
Fabulous, Ian, thanks! First up is a trip underneath to have a look at the frame.

Tony
Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #288
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
New Bumper

After a very long winter I am finally able to add a few more finishing touches to my Boler. First thing on the list is to install the new bumper. Made from 1959 Jaguar MkII bumpers we spliced a 16" section from the front Jag bumper into the rear, recurved the profile some then sent it off for rechroming.

The trailer looks really low because I have the 8 inch "garage" wheels on it.

The brackets we fabricated

All the parts ready for installation

Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #289

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Galvanic corrosion

Not to throw cold water on your amazing project, but keep an eye on your aluminum screws through your aluminum windows. Different alloys of aluminum can interact with each other. Admittedly not as active as say, aluminum and brass.

Galvanic series

I have an interesting story. We baked a corn bread in a steel pan and not thinking, covered it with aluminum foil. The next day, the foil had little holes in it where it touched the bread. Then it hit me, galvanic corrosion! We had to toss the bread.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #290
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Not to throw cold water on your amazing project, but keep an eye on your aluminum screws through your aluminum windows. Different alloys of aluminum can interact with each other. Admittedly not as active as say, aluminum and brass.
Thanks Roger
Actually I had concerns about that too so instead of worrying about it I installed nylon washers under each screw to isolate them from the aluminum frame
Old 05-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #291

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
That bumper looks fantastic, Ian. Great work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #292

Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
Colorado
Registry
I'm with Jim...that bumper looks spectacular!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #293

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Awesome Ian, I have been waiting all winter to see those pics. Now you have to get it re-appraised again. LOL
Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #294

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Very cool indeed!!!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, cabinets, custom, frame, renovation