It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nice job Ian! What did you use on the fridge door?
Thank you The fridge door is 1/8" Masonite that I masked and painted then clear coated. It actually matches the drawer and cupboard knobs which have the same pattern.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #42

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
wow! and wow!, again. VERY sharp. terrific makeover!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #43

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Registry
Amazing Job!

So how does the bed work? Trying to figure out from the hinges on the table legs how it folds down.... pics would be great.....
ccaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaffrey View Post
So how does the bed work? Trying to figure out from the hinges on the table legs how it folds down.... pics would be great.....
The table legs were an interesting evolution. The bed itself sits on a ledge under the cushions. With the "U" shaped seating the table had to use a pedestal type base. I initially used a single pedestal used by many RVs but found it to be very unstable. Second attempt was to use two pedestals and although that made the table stable enough I found it very difficult to remove and lower the table by myself. The legs you see in the picture are designed as a bi-fold they are hinged at the top, middle and bottom. to fold the table you simply fold the back legs in half then the front legs. although connected in the lowered position they do not carry any weight. It has been working very good, easy to set-up and put down and also very stable. To lock the legs in the upright position I have installed spring latches opposite the hinges which essentially lock the legs in the centre.

Another unique feature with the table is that it slides back to allow access to the far bench, a screw knob under the table locks the slide to prevent movement when needed.

I will take some pictures over the weekend and post them.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Hera are some detailed pictures of the table legs.
The table is 35" square, cushions removed for a better view of details.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #46
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
A little more detail:

The hinge and leg lock system

Seated on the lowered position
Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #47

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Registry
Great design! Thanks for the detailed pics. Planning to start my overhaul this winter after the camping season.
ccaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #48

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sweet table setup. Ian, do you suppose it would work to NOT anchor the legs to the floor so the entire area under the dinette would be usable space for those that use it for storage? There are some that want it ALL. U-shaped dinette, ample storage and easily deployed table.

Just askin'

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sweet table setup. Ian, do you suppose it would work to NOT anchor the legs to the floor so the entire area under the dinette would be usable space for those that use it for storage? There are some that want it ALL. U-shaped dinette, ample storage and easily deployed table.

Just askin'

To make it a free standing table where the legs are not connected to the floor the legs would have to lock at the top (similar to the way the single leg does in the original Boler design) or else everything would fold up and collapse. The other problem would be the table would jump everywhere while driving, you would have to tie it down.

Yes the design does sacrifice some storage but I have made use of the space by finding certain items which tuck into the spots.

What I love about this design is the table is so easy to set-up and take down. In a matter of seconds with out any straining, lifting or hard work.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #50

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Ian, that's what inquiring minds want to know!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #51

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Very cool!!! Unique, well thought out and really well done!!

I'm amazed and inspired once again by the ingenuity, skills and dedication egg owners have!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I have always been fristrated with the typical plastic roof vents, seems in our area it is an annual task to replace the plastic vent cover. I came across a 14"x14" all metal vent. Very well constructed and should last forever but I also wanted a fan in the roof vent and the metal vent was not available with a fan so I built my own.

The 2 fans are 140mm computer case fans, they have 2 speeds Very low current draw and a literally silent

The specs Antec TrueQuiet 140:
- Current draw - 0.04 amps on low and 0.1 amp on high.
- Decibels - 9.8 db on low and 20 db on high
- Airflow (CFM) - 40.5 on low and 65 on high

Compared to the Fantastic fan (3 speed):
- Current draw - 1.89, 2.29 and 3.0 amps on low, medium and high.
- Decibels - 39.0, 39.0 and 40.0 db on low, med and high
- Airflow (CFM) - 478, 653 and 920 on low med and high (no comparison on airflow but remember our trailers are only 360 cu/ft total volume without cabinets)

We will be testing them on a trip starting tomorrow, I understand the temperatures will be mid 30C.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #53

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Impressive power and noise specs, but I suspect much less air flow (which might not be a problem) given the size of those muffin fans and that they don't cover the whole vent area. Let us know how it works!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
For interior lighting I am using 12V LED lights designed for kitchen under counter from Rona. There are 4 bright puck lights (2 on each side mid-cabin) that provide very good general task and work lighting. We have used these at dusk right through to total darkness and they provide all the light that is needed to cook, play cards or read.

In between the bright lights are 2 low intesity lights (one on each side) still have to do the final wiring on these but with temporary wiring they provide enough light to get ready for bed or check the time at night.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #55

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Ian, in the first picture there is what looks like a bracket or shelf under the window. Was that the original bracket from which to hang the table? The PO of our little Love Bug completely removed those at both ends and put in a stationary bed and a non converting dinette. I would like to make them convertible again but can't figure out how they were attached to the end walls.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Ian, in the first picture there is what looks like a bracket or shelf under the window. Was that the original bracket from which to hang the table? The PO of our little Love Bug completely removed those at both ends and put in a stationary bed and a non converting dinette. I would like to make them convertible again but can't figure out how they were attached to the end walls.
Yes that is the original table bracket. I left it in because I thought it would look better than patching it insulation. The original table is held by a piece of 3/4" plywood about 2" wide that is cut to follow the curved wall. It is fiberglassed into place. It is covered with a fiberglass trim with the table suppot molding screwed into it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #57

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Gotcha, thanks. IMHO good thing you left it in, the PO removing it from mine has compromised the integrity of that end wall. If you push it a little the wall moves enough to dislodge the window.

thanks
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Gotcha, thanks. IMHO good thing you left it in, the PO removing it from mine has compromised the integrity of that end wall. If you push it a little the wall moves enough to dislodge the window.

thanks
I can see removing and brace or structure without replacing it being a problem. I added numerous structural braces and load bearing supports that are expoxy directly to the fiberglass shell. I know the shell is now much firmer and less flexible that it was originally.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #59

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Ian G...... Very nice work!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Impressive power and noise specs, but I suspect much less air flow (which might not be a problem) given the size of those muffin fans and that they don't cover the whole vent area. Let us know how it works!
Update on the vent fans

We always travel with a portable weather station which displays and records temperature and humidity both inside and outside. Without the fans the interior was aways hotter and had a much higher humidity than the outside, in fact in the mornings the humidity was often in the low to mid 90% range and the windows would be fogged up.

On last weeks trip to Glacier Park we used the fans, the interior temperature and humidity stayed either equal to or lower than the outside air and no window fogging pr damp walls. A huge improvement.

Even with both fans on high speed they were totally quiet, we could not hear them running even during the night.

I would recommend this addition to anyone's trailer.

Tags
boler, cabinets, custom, frame, renovation