It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler - Page 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #321

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Ian, love the Shady Boy look. Thanks for all your work and advice.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #322

Kentucky
Registry
Any special trick to installing the spigot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
The water system uses an external 5 gallon insulated cooler that I installed a quick connect fitting in place of the spigot. The braided steel line leads directly to the electric water pump. We have used this system for the past 2 years and it works great, easy to refill, in really hot weather we add a block of ice.

Ian, we've just pulled the moldy old fresh water tank from our Skank and need to replace it with something a little easier to maintain and I love you solution here. Did you have to do anything special to thread the spigot/valve into the water cooler?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #323
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Ian, we've just pulled the moldy old fresh water tank from our Skank and need to replace it with something a little easier to maintain and I love you solution here. Did you have to do anything special to thread the spigot/valve into the water cooler?
Thank you, I have been using it for 3 years now and it works great.
Some more details on the resivour system and the parts I used documented here. External Water Reservoir - Boler-Camping
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #324

Kentucky
Registry
Ian, I thought you used the quick disconnects on the supply line but your link shows the braided washer line. Also, is the fitting through the diamond plate the point where you have your feed line running to the pump inside? We're doing this job and I'll be looking for parts tomorrow. Thanx for your help with this.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #325
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Ian, I thought you used the quick disconnects on the supply line but your link shows the braided washer line. Also, is the fitting through the diamond plate the point where you have your feed line running to the pump inside? We're doing this job and I'll be looking for parts tomorrow. Thanx for your help with this.
The quick connect is optional, I used it on some trips and not on others, I found the extra length to the fitting when transporting the reservoir created a risk of damaging the fitting so I removed it.

Yes the fitting through the diamond plate leads directly to the intake side of the water pump inside the trailer. this provides the same water inlet when using the reservoir or street water (street water pressure will just pass through the pump no need to turn pump on)
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #326

Kentucky
Registry
water pump location

It's time to start serious work on our renovation and that means the possibility of re-plumping/replacing all of the old pipes. Therefore, I was wondering if it's possible to move the water pump from under the dinette seat to under the kitchen cabinet? I can't imagine that the functionality of the pump will be affected by the orientation or location of the pump but I thought it'd be good to ask the opinion of someone with more experience. I have space under the sink/cabinet directly in front of the water heater that I believe will accommodate the pump. What do you think? Can we move the pump from under the dinette to under the cabinet?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #327

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
It's time to start serious work on our renovation and that means the possibility of re-plumping/replacing all of the old pipes. Therefore, I was wondering if it's possible to move the water pump from under the dinette seat to under the kitchen cabinet? I can't imagine that the functionality of the pump will be affected by the orientation or location of the pump but I thought it'd be good to ask the opinion of someone with more experience. I have space under the sink/cabinet directly in front of the water heater that I believe will accommodate the pump. What do you think? Can we move the pump from under the dinette to under the cabinet?
The water pump in my Scamp is in the front corner of the kitchen cabinet. The switch is on the dinette side (put a cover on it!). The fresh water tank is about 2' from the pump... if that makes a difference and I also have a 16' Scamp, layout 4.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #328
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Relocating the pump that short distance shouldn't have any effect on the function. The biggest issue with the pump is the amount of lift, they will not draw water up very far in vertical height, probably about 3' max so try to keep the the inlet length. A relocation like you suggest does not increase the lift as it remains on the same horizontal plain.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #329

Kentucky
Registry
Ladies & gentlemen, I want to relocate the pump from under the dinette seat to under the kitchen cabinet next to the water heater. The total distance moved will be only about 18". My primary concern is that the pump is screwed to the floor and I would like to screw it to the bulkhead inside the cabinet at the base of the water heater. The will add about 10" of height for draw.

A complication for this retrofit of the fresh water system includes moving the holding tank from the floor under the dinette to Ian's remote freshwater tank on the ground outside the camper. We could seat the cooler/water tank on top of a milk crate to reduce the height of draw back to almost zero and that milk crate could also be used when not in-service to carry/store RV equipment like power cables and water lines between destinations.

Bottom line: is there any issue with the orientation of the pump from horizontal to vertical?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #330
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
As I said, I don't see any problem at all, the height of the pump above the external reservoir will probably be less than 24" any reasonable RV pump will prime and work well in you proposed location. I just checked the smallest Shurflo RV pump and it says it will dry prime up to 6' so you are good to go.

Relocation to vertical is not an issue, I would recommend you position the pump head facing down.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #331

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Donna,

I agree with you that the rocker switch for the water pump needs some sort of cover, as many a time I or someone else have accidentally flipped it on. Might you have a suggestion for something I could use for a cover? Or brainstorm an idea for one that I could put up with outdoor mounting tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #332

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Donna,

I agree with you that the rocker switch for the water pump needs some sort of cover, as many a time I or someone else have accidentally flipped it on. Might you have a suggestion for something I could use for a cover? Or brainstorm an idea for one that I could put up with outdoor mounting tape?
We haven't had a problem with accidentally turning it on but rather turning it off. The lighted switch from Little House Customs is on my to get list.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #333

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Nice job

Very nice work

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #334

Kentucky
Registry
which end is the pump head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
As I said, I don't see any problem at all, the height of the pump above the external reservoir will probably be less than 24" any reasonable RV pump will prime and work well in you proposed location. I just checked the smallest Shurflo RV pump and it says it will dry prime up to 6' so you are good to go.

Relocation to vertical is not an issue, I would recommend you position the pump head facing down.
Which end of the pump is considered the head? I presume the end with the in/out lines but I want to be sure...
Old 12-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #335
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Which end of the pump is considered the head? I presume the end with the in/out lines but I want to be sure...
Yes that would be correct, the pump head is where the water lines connect. Having that the lowest reduces the height and also reduces the risk of a pump problem if the water lines leak, water does not go into the motor.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #336

Name: James
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Kitchen cabinets and counter top

Hello Ian I have been following your Reno with great interest and admiration. My questions are. What is your countertop made out of/thickness? It appears thicker than the wood of the cabinets. Secondly, I am curious as to what the yellow material is on the front of the drawers/doors? Is it the same white plastic laminate only painted? Finally, is the countertop also covered in the plastic vinyl or is it something else entirely? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm mid Reno myself and am looking to the future.

Thanks again, and great work!
-James
jimodoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #337
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Happy to answer your questions James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimodoh View Post
Hello Ian I have been following your Reno with great interest and admiration. My questions are. What is your countertop made out of/thickness? It appears thicker than the wood of the cabinets.
The countertop is 3/4" baltic birch covered with white arbourite or formica high pressure laminate

Quote:
Secondly, I am curious as to what the yellow material is on the front of the drawers/doors? Is it the same white plastic laminate only painted?
All the interior yellow is paint on the baltic birch

Quote:
Finally, is the countertop also covered in the plastic vinyl or is it something else entirely?
Yes, all the white on the interior including the counter top and cabinet sides are white arbourite or formica high pressure laminate

Quote:
Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm mid Reno myself and am looking to the future.

Thanks again, and great work!
-James
Thank you
Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #338

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
I've just read the whole thread....4years and 25 pages of posts in one sitting! UNbeleivable stunning work! And I'm going to steal your computer fan vent and exterior water supply ideas for my own 13' Trillium! Thanks for all your work recording and photographing the whole process. Wonderful videos too...I think I might be polishing some hinges in the future!
Anne-Marie L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 AM   #339

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Great work, I did the full read thru as well. Lots of tips and inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story
Kwideski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #340
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie L View Post
I've just read the whole thread....4years and 25 pages of posts in one sitting! UNbeleivable stunning work! And I'm going to steal your computer fan vent and exterior water supply ideas for my own 13' Trillium! Thanks for all your work recording and photographing the whole process. Wonderful videos too...I think I might be polishing some hinges in the future!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwideski View Post
Great work, I did the full read thru as well. Lots of tips and inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story
I can say we are enjoying camping in the Boler as much as I enjoyed the rebuild. The inspiration was to create my vision and provide inspiration to other in what they are capable of doing. It is very rewarding to contribute in a small way to this great FGRV community

Tags
boler, cabinets, custom, frame, renovation