J Bolts to secure propane tank to tongue vs. metal brackets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
J Bolts to secure propane tank to tongue vs. metal brackets?

Hi FGRV Friends,

Thinking about buying a Sunbrella propane tank cover from EBay but it will only work if your tank secures with J bolts and nylox nuts to the base of tank. I have those black metal brackets from the factory that new tank cover won't fit over.

Anybody see any potential issues with using a couple of J bolts and nylox nuts instead? I'd really like to buy this cover as I'm tired of throwing $20 bucks away every year on a vinyl one that looks like crap after one season.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I have a Camco plastic tank cover, one bungee cord under it to hold it on. It's been on for nine years with no problems even being outside 24/7. Not sure if any other type of cover would hold up as long. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

New York
Registry
I already looked into camco plastic cover and they only come in a double propane tank size as far as I can tell. Would have been happy to have that if I could have found it cuz the cover I'm lookin at is 60 bucks!

Anywho, what I mean is j bolts to anchor tank itself as opposed to metal brackets. Here's a pic of my tank. The guy I was gonna order the cover from says his cover won't fit over these types of brackets. Only if tank is anchored at base with a j bolt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1433463303.851859.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	84904

Trying to get away from vinyl covers as they get crummy real quick and I figured 60 bucks don't look so bad for Sunbrella when you're replacing vinyl every two years!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

California
Well Wendy, I didn't know about only double covers only. If it was me, I'd buy a yard or so of material and sew up a cover to fit your tank. No messing with your tank hold downs that way. A single tank cover would be easy to do.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Thanks Dave. I can't sew to save my arse. But my mom can. I'll ask her.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I anchored LP tanks on several trailers by blind bolting them at the base to 1" angle. Eliminates all of the external brackets and makes it almost impossible to steal as the bolts are hidden and must be accessed from below with a wrench. I'd post a pic, but the attaching hardware is so well hidden that it doesn't show in a pic..... But look at the tank base ring, they all have holes and/or slots you can use for securing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Thank you for the reply Bob. I was just looking for a more long term solution so I have an attractive tank cover that holds up well. I wish I was a seamstress, but alas that isn't one of my talents. Called my mom who is, but neither one of us is very familiar with the Sunbrella material and she's afraid that sewing it may be beyond what her machine can do. Not even sure what thread to use.

I will check into the bolts at lowes or what have you and also see if a local guy can make a cover a bit cheaper. I cannot understand why those camco covers in plastic are not sold for single tanks.

Anyway, just a simple question. I know this isn't a priority on everyone's list, but just something I was thinking about.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Thank you for the reply Bob. I was just looking for a more long term solution so I have an attractive tank cover that holds up well. I wish I was a seamstress, but alas that isn't one of my talents. Called my mom who is, but neither one of us is very familiar with the Sunbrella material and she's afraid that sewing it may be beyond what her machine can do. Not even sure what thread to use.
Cheers!
Sunbrella is a very open weave material and doesn't require a commercial machine to sew. Any home unit can do it but the biggest thing to any sewing is a sharp needle. I've had a few heavy duty commercial machines including walking foot ones and yes, as a guy I got some strange looks going into yardage stores . I would use a medium length straight stitch, maybe run two seams with a cotton thread as there is really no reason for overly strong seams for a tank cover. If I was making a tank cover I think I would use one strip of Velcro to secure it underneath the tank. This may be your time to do a little sewing. 50 years ago I wanted to sew something, I pulled my Moms old Singer out and went to town. Yup, I screwed up a lot but I learned after a bit. A seam ripper is your friend . Made a number of boat covers, convertible tops, biminies, awnings and such. One of these days I'm going to try something with a pattern, just cuz...........probably mess that up big time as I've never used one
Old 06-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #9

New York
Registry
Aw...very motivating and cute story Bob. Thank you for the inspiration!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

New York
Registry
Oh my gosh Dave. I apologize for calling you Bob. That's what I get for writing at 6:30 in the morning. Please accept my apology for my mistake. I'm sorry.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I checked on ebay and could only find soft single tank covers
But you can buy one of these for $12 every year and when it looks bad get another.
Adco Propane Tank Cover Single 20 lb White for camper RV Gas Grill Cylinder | eBay

Or get this black one for $33 with a zipper top to reach the valve and it should stay looking good for several years.
Coleman Fleetwood Propane Tank Cover 20lbs | eBay

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane