Jim's Trail West Campster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Looking at your tongue; it does look like mine. I have different windows, though. Mine look possibly like replacements. The two sides are sliders, the front is a solid window. No shield.

Also looking at your picture: Are you pumping potable water in from outside instead of using the internal storage tank?

What is the tube that sits on the roof and runs parallel to the pop top?

I was looking at this awning: Awning

It has the same problem of needing to be attached to something but your solution would work. Currently I'm carrying my EZup but those are darned heavy and bulky.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Does your light surge rythmically or is it intermittent? If rythmically, how many minutes or seconds per cycle? Do your stove burners also surge in time with the light?

The long tube is a piece of 3" PVC drain pipe to hold the awning and poles. Lately we've gotten lazy and just tossed them inside the trailer instead of putting them in the tube.

I'll have to reduce the flyer before scanning it, but I'll see what I can do.

The water system will be fully detailed in the "Pressurized Water System" section of my website. I'll do that one next since you asked about it.

You probably have the original slider windows. After having owned larger and more luxurious trailers, my Mom highly disliked them -- they only would let air through half of the area, and they got hard to open and close with use. She had them replaced with "jalousy" (sp?) windows -- horizontal slat windows that crank open.

And finally... he needed the trailer because there weren't any hotels where the fish were. Of course, $4 was worth a lot more in 1955...
Jim Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #23

Sorry... forgot to comment on the Cabela's "Reddi-Awning". That's almost exactly how my awning sets up. This one looks a little bit longer than mine. If I remember right, my Dad had ours custom-made by Lincoln Tent & Awning (Lincoln, NE). One trick -- we don't tie the guy ropes directly to the stakes. We insert a short rubber bungee strap between them to give the ropes and awning some flex if the wind comes up.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Does your light surge rythmically or is it intermittent? If rythmically, how many minutes or seconds per cycle? Do your stove burners also surge in time with the light?
I think it was rhythmically; stove burners do not surge.

Quote:
You probably have the original slider windows. After having owned larger and more luxurious trailers, my Mom highly disliked them -- they only would let air through half of the area, and they got hard to open and close with use. She had them replaced with "jalousy" (sp?) windows -- horizontal slat windows that crank open.
That would be nice. Mine are hard to open and close- got easier with cleaning, but are still a pain, and you are right, they only open halfway. For now they are going to stay, though.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #25

It sounds to me like the way a Coleman propane camp lantern behaves when the bottle is about empty (or the way the old white-gas lanterns did when you needed to pump them up again). Make sure the bottle isn't nearing empty, and try lighting a stove burner at the same time -- just to be sure that's not the problem. If that's all okay and the lamp is still surging, shut it off and run the control knob all the way out and all the way in (as far as it will go clockwise and then back as far as it will go counterclockwise. Then try it again. The problem may be with the valve on the lamp itself, and this will help to clear it. I've seen cobwebs and bug parts find their way into the valve. If that helps, you may need to disassemble and clean the valve or replace it. I'd ask the advice of a trailer mechanic at an RV sales outlet in your neighborhood before tackling it yourself.

As I recall, replacing the windows was quite pricey. But if Mama ain't happy,...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #26

Just gave my propane supplier a call, Bobbie. He agrees that the valve and/or orifice need to be cleaned. If you're in the habit of topping off your propane bottle at a real propane dealer (not one of those bottle exchange racks at a 7-11) on the way out of town on a trip, ask them to take a look at it. They may be able to clean it on the spot for free.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #27

Just posted the contents of the "Pressurized Water System" at http://www.sunnyarbor.com, and also added an item that has scanned images of the original manufacturer's flyer. Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Just posted the contents of the "Pressurized Water System" at http://www.sunnyarbor.com, and also added an item that has scanned images of the original manufacturer's flyer. Enjoy!
Cool! I love the brochure. I pretty much have the original exterior- striping, that funny symbol, original name (very faded.) My tongue does not lift up like the one shown, though. I still have the original drawer and cabinet fronts, but not the original quilted lining. I haven't done much aesthetically to the outside as I wanted to see how it would shine up and so far it really hasn't. Next summer's project. The reflective striping is in sad shape so I thought maybe I'd replace it with reflective red striping to match my Subaru, if I can find a product to spiff up the gel coat.

The propane light might have clogged a bit when I first started it up with a new mantle. I'll try cleaning the burner nose and the inlet- I should be able to get a fine wire to clean it. (I am a current science teacher (chemistry prof) so like you have access to all kinds of nifty things like rubber stoppers and cleaning wires.)

My water tank works; one thing I need to do is to extend the open-close valve to under the trailer. As it is, I keep the bed permanently made up, and then I don't have easy access to the drain valve, which makes me reluctant to fill the water tank. No problem with bugs- yet- but I'm worried about these giant outside cockroaches we get in the spring here. (They'd never make it into a water hose but might get in other places.)

Bobbie

Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #29

Quote:
I still have the original drawer and cabinet fronts, but not the original quilted lining.
Quilted lining? Huh?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #30

Registry
They say "vinyl impregnated interior paneling" but in the picture it looks like diamond-quilted lining such as is in the Compact family.

Bobbie
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #31

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jim,
The quilted vinyl used by Compact looks like this.

Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...3836963&f=0
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #32

Thanks for the picture, Tom -- I had no idea they'd ever done that. My trailer came from the factory with it's fiberglass walls as bare as a newborn ba... well, you get the idea. How is it fastened to the walls?

I'll resurrect an earlier comment here. I remember being rained on every morning INSIDE the trailer because the condensation accumulated overnight so badly. My Dad's solution was to cover the walls with shag carpet squares, which remain to this day. Anyone else out there have this experience? I'm betting that they added the quilting to later production runs just because of this problem. Anyone know for sure? Anyone else get a trailer without the quilting?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the picture, Tom -- I had no idea they'd ever done that. My trailer came from the factory with it's fiberglass walls as bare as a newborn ba... well, you get the idea. How is it fastened to the walls?

I'll resurrect an earlier comment here. I remember being rained on every morning INSIDE the trailer because the condensation accumulated overnight so badly. My Dad's solution was to cover the walls with shag carpet squares, which remain to this day. Anyone else out there have this experience? I'm betting that they added the quilting to later production runs just because of this problem. Anyone know for sure? Anyone else get a trailer without the quilting?
Mine does not have it but I don't know if it originally did or not. When I got it it had (and still has) some kind of synthetic fuzzy material- Gina thought it was like the black stuff they put on speakers- on the walls.

Bobbie
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #34

Just took the time to look at all of your pictures, Tom. I realize now that yours is a Compact, while mine is a Campster, and mine is three years older than yours. Does anyone know if the quilting was ever used in the Campster? How well does it work, and how does it wear over time?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Just took the time to look at all of your pictures, Tom. I realize now that yours is a Compact, while mine is a Campster, and mine is three years older than yours. Does anyone know if the quilting was ever used in the Campster? How well does it work, and how does it wear over time?
Jim, I looked at pictures of the two I have pictures of (Don's, and one from Ebay in Az.) and neither has the quilting as far as I can tell. (Those two do not appear to have any lining.) None of the other owners appear to be reading the board but I just emailed Don to ask about his. Update: he says no lining and does not appear there has been one but his was painted inside so hard to tell.

Update: Sherry Stephens posted about the 1971 that she later sold that the interior was peeling.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...amp;hl=campster

Bobbie
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM   #36

Trailer: TM14 Surfside
Jim,

I was toying with putting a bunk in our Surfside, much like you have. Great idea for the pivot ... I was going to make a folding type bed that would fold back in three pieces making a shelf at the back of the trailer when not in use ... but now you have me thinking otherwise ... hmmmm
Timmy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #37

That's an interesting idea you've got, too, Timmy. Do I understand correctly that the bunk would be divided parallel to the long side, making three pieces about 9" X 6'-6"? If so, the problem is one of rigidity of the middle piece (the front and back pieces could still have the 3" oak sides. What if you hinged the middle piece on each side with a piano hinge, and the bunk folded up like a "Z" toward the back wall? The outer edge sides' stiffness would translate evenly through the hinge, and the hinge itself would add some additional rigidity just because it's metal (steel piano hinge would be better than brass). The only other problem I can see is what to do with the mattress when the bunk is folded.

Hey, that's what this place is all about -- making us think and share good ideas no matter which direction the saw kerf runs, right?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #38

Hey All:
We have a Campster as well.

As Bobby mentioned, I see no sign of a lining ever having been there. How was it attached? The interior has been painted so I can't be sure, but given the level of workmanship on most repairs, I doubt they could/would have covered much up.

I love the gas lamp! It does take some extra heat deflectors, I added some thin aluminum ones, but it throws lots of light and does a good job as a heater taking the dampness out before bedtime. More of a feature up here in the frozen north I guess.

There was a plastic awning with it. There is an aluminum channel screwed onto the roof at the edge and the awning has a plastic bead sewn onto one edge which slides into the channel. Works very well. Obviously added by some previous owner but seems like standard trailer type stuff.

The frame has no rise at all at the front. It has been rebuilt/re-enforced so is very different from original.

Very interesting to see the original flyer! It answered some questions I had.

Don

Don Ruetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #39

Glad the flyer helped, Don. So if you're from the "frozen north," do you remember ever awakening to droplets of condensation bouncing off your forehead? We're not so far north, but pretty far "up", usually camping above 8,000' (not here in Nebraska, but in Wyoming).
Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Glad the flyer helped, Don. So if you're from the "frozen north," do you remember ever awakening to droplets of condensation bouncing off your forehead? We're not so far north, but pretty far "up", usually camping above 8,000' (not here in Nebraska, but in Wyoming).
Haven't had any condensation problems. We have the windows and the vents up in the canvas open a bit all the time and it seems to keep it down. If it was really cold, I suppose it would be a problem, but we haven't been out in very cold weather yet.

Don

Don Ruetten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster