Jim's Trail West Campster - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #41

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I finally got around to checking on the Velcroesque properties of my black fur lining. It's the loop part, and if I attach something to a hook piece, it sticks like it was Super-glued! I haven't tried traveling with anything velcroed in place, but I'm going to get some things like an eyeglass holder, etc, and put Velcro hooks on the back of them. I already put Velcro on my push-on LED lights. The black is still a little dismal but being able to Velcro things to the walls and ceiling is going to be useful.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #42

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Sorry I've taken all week to get back to this -- it's just been one of those weeks.

Three new photo sets have been posted at http://www.sunnyarbor.com -- "Low-Current Fluorescent Lights", "Bathroom with Hot Shower", and "Forced Air 12vdc Furnace."

Bobbie, are you serious -- the whole cabin is lined with the stuff? If it's genuine velcro loop, that was one expensive project! The biggest sheets of if I've ever seen are about 12" X 12". Can you see seams to get an idea of how big it was? I'll bet that if you made up several pair of velcro hook pajamas, you could sleep about... let's see... three across the bed, three across the ceiling, one on each side below the window, one across the front... and one in the aisle tunnel. That's 10, with room to keep the porta-potty and the dog in the kitchen! Seriously, that's a great idea... but maybe in smaller quantities.

Thanks, Don -- I'll give the condensation thing a rest, as it doesn't seem to ring any bells with anyone else.

Hope you all enjoy the latest sets of modification photos.
Jim Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #43

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Bobbie, are you serious -- the whole cabin is lined with the stuff? If it's genuine velcro loop, that was one expensive project! The biggest sheets of if I've ever seen are about 12" X 12".
I don't think it is actually velcro loop but it is just like it and works great. Gina thought it looked like the stuff they use that is sort of a black felt on speakers. It does feel and look a lot like Velcro loop, though. I don't think the loop part is expensive, though, it is the hook part that is tricky to make. So a fabric like the loop part would be just like a carpet.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #44

Name: Laura
Iowa
Smile Trails West Campster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ingram View Post
Okay, it took me a while to figure out how to post pics. Then I had to do the resizing -- not hard, just time-consuming. (I make my living managing the computers for a school district.) So now I have an avatar, a personal picture, and these:

Here's the general idea...

Attachment 10585

Here's the whole rig just after we had all the cancer taken out of the 1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco and installed a new engine and transmission (144,000 miles on that "new" Bronco). It shows off the trailer paint scheme nicely.

Attachment 10587

This one shows the exterior results of some of the modifications I mentioned.

Attachment 10586

My mother replaced the original windows in the 90's. I think the original trailer only had an icebox, so my Dad installed a propane 'fridge -- that's the louvered panel on the left and the "chimney" barely visible right above it. You can see the side-vent forced-air furnace below the window. The small silver metal square just to the front of the window is a 1/8"-thick aluminum "diamond" plate added to reinforce the strength of the fiberglass where the crossways bunk is mounted on the inside. Always remember to spread out the load! The green tent on the far left is a Cabela's shower tent. Where we camp there are no showers. It's equipped with a portable camp water heater and a porta-potty (which fits under the closet for travel).

I'll try to take some pictures of the other mods I've made over the years for another post.
Hi, we live by Sioux City IA and have a Campster also. Been hoping to find another owner in the Mid West.
laurab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #45

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Jim Ingram's post

Jim, I see that your Mom and Dad added new windows in 1990 to your Campster. Mine are original and crap. Would you have any idea where
I could find windows like yours ???
Doc the boonDOCer.....'campfrugal'
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #46

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Wow looks great, keeps me motivated!!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster