Joulsie Hehr crank out window needed for my 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13' and 1974 Airstream Landyacht 25', previously owned 1979 Trillium 4500 15'
North Carolina
Joulsie Hehr crank out window needed for my 13' Scamp

Hello everyone! I just purchased a 13' Scamp in good condition for $600. There are 3 "major" things I need to tackle. 1. fix door which flairs out at the bottom and does not seal tightly when closed (2" gap at bottom). 2. there is a feet or so of floor wood rot in the rear on the kitchen side of the camper. 3. I need to purchase a window to fit the rough opening (door side of camper) which i believe is a factory sized opening at 18w x 24h. Does anyone know where I can get one of these crank out windows? This item was missing from the camper because previous owner had a window AC unit there. I took a chance and ordered one from Home Depot but it was 1/2" too short (dimensions on their website were vague and of finished frame). Your help with finding a window and any other advise regarding floor and door would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
ncrrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Mike
Wow $600. deal, deal, deal. Do a google site search on door repair, there are several good threads on the subject. There are three options on the floor. If small area Git-Rot may work or either a partial or complete rear deck replacenent. Also several thresds on the subject. Jaulose windows that fit are hard to find. If you have a new window that is only 1/2" shy you could pop rivet on an aluminum strip to extend the bottom flange to make it fit. Extra butyl tape should take care of the irregular thickness of the frame mod.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check ebay for a window, new listings all the time so you'll have to keep looking. Google trailer salvage places, one that I know of is Fletcher's, they are in NY, you should be able to find them online. I put a newer Scamp side window in our Uhaul by making an aluminum adapter plate. Also look under " teardrop trailer" on eBay, there are usually windows listed there. As I was told by my local glass place, camper windows are supposed to have tempered glass in them, one window in our teardrop does not.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Scamp sells a variety of windows. I had gotten a metal piece from Scamp that fastens to the leading lower corner of the door opening, on the body of the trailer, which helps pull the bottom of the door close to the body of the trailer for a better seal. I don't remember what it was called, and just tried to look it up on their parts web-site, but was unable to find it. Try calling them to see what they can do for you.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quick, Check out this listing for the window.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-57574.html
I'll post a link later about the door fix. One of the moderators is working on merging threads to better explain the problem and possible solutions.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13' and 1974 Airstream Landyacht 25', previously owned 1979 Trillium 4500 15'
North Carolina
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice as I really do appriciate it. Keep them coming and I soon will let you know the progress/decision(s) I make... Take Care. Mike
ncrrover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp