Karin's Campster Renovation - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #155

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new colors KC!!

Jonathan

Old 08-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #156

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new colors KC!!

Jonathan
Me too! Now I just need to come up with enough dollars to get the red sprayed on the sides by a pro shop. It might not happen right away

Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #157

North Carolina
I feel ya... I just ran a expense report for my project to date and have a feeling my poor camper will have to live with the Tim Burton theme for a while.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #158

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydoink View Post
I feel ya... I just ran a expense report for my project to date and have a feeling my poor camper will have to live with the Tim Burton theme for a while.
You can name it "Patches"
they use that name for Pinto ponys....
Old 08-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #159

Washington
Chinese red pop top...lantern

Click image for larger version

Name:	pop top canvas.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	98800
Look at that pretty Chinese red lantern, ie pop top canvas.
It says "Party Time" but I will need a party of at least two to get it up on the roof of the trailer. To me it does very much resemble a red Chinese lantern when back lit and those lanterns are often trimmed with the color black. Red is a lucky color.

Name:	pop top interior.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	98801
I used a layer of 3/8" closed cell foam against the underside and laminated the surface with white marine vinyl. The craft and fabric store Joann's has some thinner marine vinyl. I chose that instead of the premium thickness of marine vinyl both for cost and to keep the weight down too. Plus I had a 40% off coupon for it. I purchased some 1/2" high nylon spacers to put underneath of the hardware pull handles so that they did not compress the foam and vinyl. The handles I chose had a small backer plate under each end of the bail which made a very nice finish to the look.

Now I am working on putting a finish coat of clear lacquer on the wood trim pieces that will go on the inside of the fiberglass roof opening and against the perimeter of the fabric against that white vinyl. I will wait to install the tie down latches until after I get it all in position up on the roof.

There will also be buckled adjustable webbing straps on the inside to act as a secondary security measure. I will show how I make the later. They are not attached to the canvas, they are screwed through the oak trim, through the shell, through the fabric and Velcro, and then secure into the wood frame of the pop top.

That natural colored brown wood that locates right against the roof will eventually turn dark grey, close to black. That wood species is Ipe and it is very rot resistant as it has a lot of natural oil in it. I am not going to paint it because it does not take paint all that well due to the oil. It is a super hard and strong wood, excellent for screw holding so there is not much danger of having the pop up top fly away but I will still use those suspender straps just in case. Besides the straps serve a secondary function, they will constrain the rolled up fabric when I unzip the openings for ventilation.

Name:	spring bracket1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	98804

Name:	spring bracket2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	98803
Other than the sewing job getting the springs back in was hardest part. I have to position myself so I am pulling with my right hand towards my left. Being right handed that was my strongest arm, I could not manage to stretch them out far enough with my left arm. One of the Z bracket clips the springs hook into broke, it had been bent once to often work hardening the metal so it stress fractured at the bend. Fortunately my partner had some scrap metal on hand so I bent a new one using the vise, hammer and a block of wood. Not as nice as having a bending brake but I got the job done and it is stronger than the original as the metal was thicker. I though about replacing all 4 of those clips but it is not all that easy to bend a very short Z shape with a somewhat primitive set of tools. I really miss my old workshop and tools but I needed to downsize a few years ago so now I just have to make do with the frustration of making do. But I get by despite it. However having the right tools for every job and an easy to work in space that is well organinzed...well that is my idea of luxury.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #160

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
You'll have to be careful doing your makeup under that red canvas.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #161

British Columbia
People are sure testy today.
I wasn't aware that you are a woman. I was a photographer for 45 years so I have seen people wearing a red sweater and what the reflected light does to their face.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #162

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Kinda cool like a sky lantern, backlit and all. I'll tell you what it's gonna resemble if you promise not to get all offended like you always do over everything and flip out.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #163

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Because you weren't harsh....ill say it anyway. Two things come to mind,one a gypsy wagon....always liked those . Then a caboose ...because of the red and shape of the camper.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #164

British Columbia
Let's try this again. I wasn't aware you were a woman. I thought you were a man, so I posted the makeup comment as a joke. Did you notice the grin emoji?
I don't really care if you are a man or a woman, but a sense of humour would be good.
Kind of sexist to suggest I should know that you are a woman just because your name is Karin.
My wife's name is Leslie. What gender is she? Or he?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #165

British Columbia
You also seem to think I've been reading this thread and therefore know who you are. I have only clicked on the title and scrolled quickly through it so that it no longer appears in bold under 'Recent Discussions'.
The red canvas caught my attention for the reason I posted.
My face is not red.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #166

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
People are sure testy today.
I wasn't aware that you are a woman. I was a photographer for 45 years so I have seen people wearing a red sweater and what the reflected light does to their face.
Gee, I only took your comment to mean different lighting or reflections throws off the true colors of makeup being applied. The bio replies were interesting though.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #167

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Attachment 98800
Look at that pretty Chinese red lantern, ie pop top canvas.
Incredible work as always.

Jonathan
Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #168

Washington
When it rains it pours. My occasional helpers who pitch in when I need a hand lifting things are dropping like flies with physical issues. Not sure when I will get help putting the pop up section back up onto the Campster.

Yesterday Don, my BFF and project partner twisted his foot and broke a little bone in it and is restricted from putting weight on it.
My neighbor Tracy sprained her foot last week.
The neighbor whose dogs I look after is a strong contractor but his sciatica got pinched this week.

Oh well help will show up, it always does, in the meantime I will get a coat of paint on the roof so I am ready when it arrives. I just hope it arrives before the rain does which is next predicted for this coming Tuesday in the early morning

Tags
campster