Look at that pretty Chinese red lantern, ie pop top canvas.
It says "Party Time" but I will need a party of at least two to get it up on the roof of the trailer. To me it does very much resemble a red Chinese lantern when back lit and those lanterns are often trimmed with the color black. Red is a lucky color.
I used a layer of 3/8" closed cell foam against the underside and laminated the surface with white marine vinyl. The craft and fabric store Joann's has some thinner marine vinyl. I chose that instead of the premium thickness of marine vinyl both for cost and to keep the weight
down too. Plus I had a 40% off coupon for it. I purchased some 1/2" high nylon spacers to put underneath of the hardware pull handles so that they did not compress the foam and vinyl. The handles I chose had a small backer plate under each end of the bail which made a very nice finish to the look.
Now I am working on putting a finish coat of clear lacquer on the wood trim pieces that will go on the inside of the fiberglass roof opening and against the perimeter of the fabric against that white vinyl. I will wait to install the tie down latches until after I get it all in position up on the roof.
There will also be buckled adjustable webbing straps on the inside to act as a secondary security measure. I will show how I make the later. They are not attached to the canvas, they are screwed through the oak trim, through the shell, through the fabric and Velcro, and then secure into the wood frame of the pop top.
That natural colored brown wood that locates right against the roof will eventually turn dark grey, close to black. That wood species is Ipe and it is very rot resistant as it has a lot of natural oil in it. I am not going to paint
it because it does not take paint
all that well due to the oil. It is a super hard and strong wood, excellent for screw holding so there is not much danger of having the pop up top fly away but I will still use those suspender straps just in case. Besides the straps serve a secondary function, they will constrain the rolled up fabric when I unzip the openings for ventilation.
Other than the sewing job getting the springs back in was hardest part. I have to position myself so I am pulling with my right hand towards my left. Being right handed that was my strongest arm, I could not manage to stretch them out far enough with my left arm. One of the Z bracket clips the springs hook into broke, it had been bent once to often work hardening the metal so it stress fractured at the bend. Fortunately my partner had some scrap metal on hand so I bent a new one using the vise, hammer and a block of wood. Not as nice as having a bending brake but I got the job done and it is stronger than the original as the metal was thicker. I though about replacing all 4 of those clips but it is not all that easy to bend a very short Z shape with a somewhat primitive set of tools. I really miss my old workshop and tools but I needed to downsize a few years ago so now I just have to make do with the frustration of making do. But I get by despite it. However having the right tools for every job and an easy to work in space that is well organinzed...well that is my idea of luxury.