project is suffering from neglect. But I have put in a lot of the ceiling insulation. I am using close cell foam. I have enough of a brand new, big piece of it I rescued from the Dumpster to do the area over the dinette and I purchased some 3/8" thick Landau foam for over the kitchen area. the stuff from the dumpster is a little thinner but more dense so it will be just as good as the thicker material. The two areas are separated by a beam structure that goes across the ceiling so the small height difference is not an issue.
To install the foam I am using Weldwood Contact Cement. I know there is a lot of discussion on this forum about using spray glues but I will tell you this. That contact cement is way easier to apply and cost a lot less. Plus it is not actually messy to work with, no over spray, no need to suit up like a Hazmat team either. It is high temperature resistant. It can be used on the closed cell foams without causing damage to them. it is very strong and that is the type of glue they used back in the day when they built these trailers. So I went with the affordable and tried and true option that did not make a big mess. Of course if I had a finished interior then I would have covered the walls and the floor but I don't so I got to skip that part.
To apply the contact cement to the ceiling and to the foam I used a 4 inch foam roller and a plastic, disposable paint
tray made of use with the 4 inch rollers. I also used a disposable. inexpensive, chip brush that is natural fibers for applying glue along the edges of the wall. Gloves of course and all the windows
and the door open for ventilation. no open flames, etc. I will say that it was much easier on my health than a spray glue would have been with all that particle mist flying around in the air.
I found that it was easier to put in a 4 inch wide strip of foam along that curved transition between the ceiling and the walls instead of forcing the foam to take the curve. The Landau foam was not quite happy with making that curve. Two people makes the job of sticking the foam in place go easier but it can be done with just one person which I had to do some of the time.
I cut the foam with a utility knife guided along my 4" long drywall T-square that I showed in an earlier post. You do want to slightly oversize the foam, just an inch or so will do it and then do a final trim afterwards.
I will be using a thinner, 1/8" or so closed cell foam over those built up fiberglass ceiling beams. They are already foam filled so no need for thicker insulation over them but it is nice to hit something a little soft with my noggin instead of the hard fiberglass and it will smooth out any irregularities in the fiberglass and there are plenty of those.
But between having a lot of intermittent rain and wind this last week and being busy with producing a new Tiny Village set of cardstock buildings I have not got much done on my project lately. Of course I do feel guilty about that and even some anxiety about it not being worked on.
Tomorrow I am going outside and clean up all the mess of work tables, materials etc that are outside of the project and then tidy up the inside. At least that will make it look better and not discourage me when I go out there.
Good news is not one drop of water has entered the Campster
despite heavy rain and some good strong gust. Even with the pop up top extended during the storms it has stayed dry. Now that is real progress over the state it was in when I bought it. But I need to cut some holes in the shell for the water and electrical
inlets. It is pretty funny how I keep putting that off just from not wanting to put in holes. It is not as if they are difficult to cut using a hole saw for some and a jig saw for another and I have the tools, the parts, the butyl tape, etc. I can't put it off much longer as it has to get done before the plywood walls go up. So on the theory of do the things you least want to do first that is likely to get done in the next couple of days...if the rain slacks off.
But first I get to do something fun. Cut the first prototype for a little cardstock lighthouse for this seasons Little Village series. First prototype being the operative word...it usually takes a couple of prototype generations before I consider it perfectly perfect.