Karin's Campster Renovation - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #241

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Nothing like the fall weather to get me back into gear and finishing up with installing all the various inlets and outlets that have to go through the shell. The forecast is for and I quote a "parade of storms" coming this week.

So far the intalled count is
fitting for bringing in the tail light wires
fresh water inlet
waste water outlet
12 volt exterior socket
small 15 amp electrical inlet for the generator power to come in
30 amp inlet for the main power to the converter

Plus one versatile purpose inlet that can be used with various types of wires such as coax for TV or radio or cell phone signal booster or the hardwired internet connections here at the workshop space. I can also use it to bring in a power cord from portable solar panels. Or even for bringing in a temporary supply hose from a propane tank for a Mr. Buddy heater. I put it up by the tongue on the lower half of the shell as there is a quite an angle to the shell which tilts that inlet so that it is self draining to the exterior.

I still have one more hole to drill through the side, it is for the exhaust tube for my stove/heater.

I am thinking about putting in a vent in the cabinet for the toilet but I am going to wait and see if I need it or not. I can always add it later on.

Next up some adding in some plywood under the kitchen cabinets to extend the floor area. I need that to support the fresh and waste water containers and on the other side to support the slide out base for the toilet. Getting on the cool side for mixing up my thickened epoxy I will use to adhere that plywood but I have a trick for getting it to kick off in the cooler weather in an unheated space. I put the containers of epoxy into a hot tap water bath to warm them up before I dispense from them. Otherwise the resin is to thick to push through my dispenser pumps plus it kicks off the mix at the speed it would on a much warmer day. I can also use a heat gun to warm up the surfaces of the materials I am applying it to. Small tricks that extend the season for using fiberglass.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #242

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Good to see you back working on your trailer. Could you please post the information for your multipurpose inlet here. I know you did this on another thread but I can't remember where that was.
Thanks.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #243

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Good to see you back working on your trailer. Could you please post the information for your multipurpose inlet here. I know you did this on another thread but I can't remember where that was.
Thanks.
This is a versitale type of power port inlet/outlet that I installed on my Campster. You can thread a standard size of 110v 15amp extensions cord through it without having to remove the plug ends. Or you can use it for putting through cables for various things such as portable solar, coax cables for antennas or TV, a hose from an air compressor, etc. As it is on the lower half of my trailer the slope of the lower side means it will be self draining inside this fitting should water get on the cord from the rain. It does have a silicone stopper cover for closing it up when not in use. Very affordable and handy. I put it on the front by the tongue so I could use it when setting up an antenna mast for a cell phone amplifier or mounting a TV antenna onto the mast. I wanted to put it there so I can easily secure a removable mast around the extended trailer frame in the tongue area.

Pro Marinier brand....Universal AC Plug Holder
Model # 8648925 | Mfg # 51202 | UPC # 31669512023
Product image:

I bought mine from my local West Marine Store in Seattle but you can order them online from West Marine or other sources.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/proma...19?recordNum=3

Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #244

Oregon
updated portrait

A handsome looking couple
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=paint job w car.jpg Views: 57 Size: 70.8 KB ID: 113327" style="margin: 2px" />
There will be a black band around the top edge...one of these days. I will be using 3M Oracal, black reflective vinyl to create that. The material looks black in daylight but lights up white reflective at night when headlights or other bright lights shine on it. Just a little bit of extra safety to avoid getting hit if parked overnight on the street in a neighborhood or even in a campground spot.

I am looking forward to when I get to buy new aluminum wheels to go with the wheels on my Honda Element.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #245

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Those paint colors really look nice. Will you repaint if you get a new TV?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 AM   #246

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
Not planning on needing a new tow vehicle anytime soon It only has 60K on it. I don't commute anywhere, I won't be doing any grand tours of the country. Most likely in the future I will spend summers on the Oregon coast and winters near Arizona. I don't have a major wanderlust urge as I satisfied that when I was younger. I have always enjoyed finding a place that appeals to me and settling in for weeks, a month or even longer. The benefit of that is I don't rack up the miles.

If I needed a new tow vehicle then I could shop for one that already has a similar color scheme. As with the colors white, black and silver the fire engine red is also classic car color that does not go out of fashion. There are plenty of used cars around with this color scheme.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #247

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Thanks.
Thanks for the welcome back Patricia. It is good to be back to work.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #248

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
It's really looking like they came as a matched set! Nice work
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #249

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
It's really looking like they came as a matched set! Nice work
Thanks! The shape of it works better with my vehicle than an egg shaped trailer. Truthfully I did not notice what a good pair they made until I looked at a photo of them together that I took on the way home after picking it up.

Once I saw this photo the new color scheme for the trailer was decided by the pair of them

Name:	trip home2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	113418
Old 11-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #250

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Thanks for the welcome back Patricia. It is good to be back to work.
I wish I was on the west coast. I am having to pack my trailer up for the winter today. I am just enough behind that I will have to forgo any winter travel again this year.
Thanks for the info on the power port.
Your vehicle and trailer are an impressive pair, a huge transformation from the first posted picture. They will turn heads for sure.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #251

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
Your comment about would I need to repaint if I got a new Tow vehicle had me really laughing this morning when I saw this special Harley Davidson edition paint scheme on a Ford diesel 4x4 show up on the recently listed ads you see when you open craigslist. As stated I would most likely not have to repaint the trailer to find something to match it. It would make a nice tow for sure but then I would have to put lift axles, all terrain tires and a row of marker lights on the trailer to match the truck

Name:	HD truck.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	113423
Old 11-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #252

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
You could always buy for a "spare."
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #253

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
WOWSER
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #254

Oregon
Not working on the trailer right now, at this time of year I am busy with a seasonal product I make and sell. But I will be back at it in a couple of weeks

But the extra income is being used to purchase some items I need for life on the road. A house battery, solar panel for charging, etc. The first item on that list is on its way in Santa's big brown UPS alternative sleigh; new wheels and tires. I am so looking forward to seeing those rusty old wheel rims go away.

Is this what they mean by glamping? They sure are shiny and pretty and they are a five pointed Christmas star but they are too heavy for a tree topper

Name:	new wheels <a title=tires.JPG Views: 29 Size: 22.7 KB ID: 113968" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 11-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #255

California
Registry
Merry christmas. Lolol
Old 11-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #256

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
If you are going from steel wheels to alloy wheels, you will probably need longer lugs pressed into the hubs as the alloy is much thicker. Enjoy the journey and be safe.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 AM   #257

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
If you are going from steel wheels to alloy wheels, you will probably need longer lugs pressed into the hubs as the alloy is much thicker. Enjoy the journey and be safe.
Thanks, I was already planning on having all new lugs installed

I doubt if I could take those old wheels off myself, too rusty and I would not want to break them trying. I will take it to a local company that my friends use. They work on trailers as well as cars and trucks. I will have them do the bearings while it is there.

Next chores up...finish wiring up my new tail lights so that I can move it over to that shop and clean all my project stuff out of trailer to get ready for that short trip.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #258

Oregon
solar panel

I had planned on purchasing a solar panel before spring. That plan required immediate acceleration yesterday when I saw a news article. That news was that a 30% tariff on imported solar panels had just been created and it is to take effect immediately.

Last night there were still some good discounts at the Renogy store on Amazon since there was not time for anyone to adjust prices in their web stores so I jumped right to it and purchased a 150 watt panel which is the most watts that I can fit onto my trailer roof. I also got a 50 watt panel kit to make as a portable panel setup for my tow vehicle as I sometimes use it for short trips, The Honda Elements make a nice mini sized RV. Of course that means I will have to create a tilt support for the ground or mounts to some cross bars on the roof rack rails.

My thinking was better get the panels now rather than paying higher prices later. They days of cheap solar have passed us by for the moment. This newly created tariff will be gradually phased out over a 5 year period but for now it is set at 30% which is certainly an "ouch that hurts" price rise.

My son has an Amazon associate link that helps him support his full time RV life so I made sure to use his link for the purchase. For those of you who have family and friends doing something similar don't forget this is a good opportunity to send a few dollars their way at no cost to yourself.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #259

California
Registry
Will the panel lay flat on the roof in front of the pop top?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #260

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
Will the panel lay flat on the roof in front of the pop top?
It will be in the area in front of the pop top. I had already measured that space so that I knew the limits of panel size I could use. I will likely make it so the panel can be tilted but not at an extreme angle because the panel is wider than 100 watt panels. I have to think about the fact that the pop up can cast a shadow onto the panel if I don't get the trailer positioned in the right orientation to the sun. Good thing it is not an impossible trailer to move with human power.

But finding myself in a situation where I can not get nicely oriented is part of the reason I also purchased a smaller 50 watt panel with its own controller, it is intended to be my portable so I can do things like park in the shade but still do some charging with solar. I do have an inlet already installed for ease in plugging in a portable panel as an alternative solar source.

Tags
campster