Kayaks on top... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Name: Flat
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Utah
Kayaks on top...

Hi,
Does anyone else like to take their boats with them? We do. We have either 3 or 4 that we transport, so I built this rack for them. Admittedly, it looks a little silly - but works well. I have to bring a 4 foot ladder so I can reach to get the boats strapped on but its not a big problem.

I was adamant that the rack could be taken off with no trace of it having been there, in the event we sell the camper someday. It bolts to the frame with some big U bolts.

Here we're camped at Lake Powell in April.
Flat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0172.jpg   IMAG0175.jpg  

flatfendershop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Silly question... Why not carry the kayaks on top of the truck?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

Utah
I'm not one to drill holes in stuff and didn't want to drill holes in the fiberglass truck shell to mount a rack. If we just take the boats without the camper, we use a small utility trailer that has racks bolted to it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Silly question... Why not carry the kayaks on top of the truck?

My thought as well. If your campsite is not at the waters edge does one move the trailer to the launch ramp?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfendershop
I'm not one to drill holes in stuff and didn't want to drill holes in the fiberglass truck shell to mount a rack. If we just take the boats without the camper, we use a small utility trailer that has racks bolted to it.
O understand the thinking... But if you do it right, you'll forget all about the holes, and you'll love the added usefulness of The roof rack on your truck.

Nothing against the way you are doing it. Just hate to see someone miss out on something for fear of drilling a few holes. after years of working on carsand RVs, I have nearly gotten over my fear of drilling. To me, it's like worrying about the first ding in your car's door. It doesn't do you any good to worry about it. You might spend the first few weeks or months parking a new car far away from any other car. Once you getthat first ding, all that worrying was for nothing.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I carry my 2 kayaks on the roof of my car; much easier for me to get at. My member picture shows my set up. Most folks around here that carry canoes and kayaks on the roof of their trucks have a rack that extends from the rear bumper to above the level of the caps with another on the roof of the cab. Nothing connects to or bear weight on the cap.
However, the rack you installed certainly seems to do the trick for you. There are so many interesting mods being shared here. We are using our eggs for so many different uses it's interesting to see the variety.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks like you really thought this through, quite an engineering feat for your trailer. I too don't want to drill holes in the top of the A.R.E. canopy on my truck and have looked at "over the top" racks. The legs mount under the lip of the canopy and the whole rack is on the outside and doesn't touch the fiberglass. Unfortunately I don't weld and they're expensive commercially. For the few times I'd need it (hauling lumber), it's not for me... but, may be for others.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Your kayaks are so over the top! Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.

Do they have much effect on fuel economy?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #9

Utah
I don't know Mike, if the boats affect fuel consumption or not. They're pretty stealth. Here's my take on fuel economy...I don't check it. I need the truck, can't do what I need to do without it. If I check the mileage, all it does is depress me - so I don't. It uses what it uses. I'm as frugal as I can be, but I can't get along with a ford fiesta. If you hang out with me much, you'll soon see that all my toys are human powered - makes up for the gas mileage...what ever it may be!
Flat.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #10

Alright Flat, what is the name on your birth certificate? I can't call you Flat forever.... reminds me of my Dad's haircut (career Army).

I don't track the mileage for my F-150 either.... it is, what it is... can't afford (and don't want to) replace the tug just because the MPG tanks when I pull the trailer. My F-150 is my daily driver... and I LOVE it.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #11

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Alright Flat, what is the name on your birth certificate? I can't call you Flat forever.... reminds me of my Dad's haircut (career Army).

I don't track the mileage for my F-150 either.... it is, what it is... can't afford (and don't want to) replace the tug just because the MPG tanks when I pull the trailer. My F-150 is my daily driver... and I LOVE it.
Donna, If (when) we pull our rig to OR perhaps we can share a pot of coffee and discuss names. For now, Flat will have to do! (ps. thanks for the positive comments in your posts, its refreshing. As a moderator you set a good example!)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
On my Subaru I'm able to just clamp the Yakima crossover bars to the rack and carry my kayaks there. The downside of that is I can't fully open the rear liftgate because it hits the kayaks when about halfway opened.
On my truck, I have a T-bar that goes up vertically from the back bumper, and I set one of my Yakima crossbars from the car into two foam pads and strap that to the top of the truck cab, so no holes. The downside of that setup is that I can't open the tailgate because the T-bar is in the way.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Flat Fender Shop makes me think that your one of those Jeep nuts. Are you a Jeep nut like me? I love my Willys.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #14

Name: Richard
Trailer: uhaul ct-13
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeWeese View Post
Flat Fender Shop makes me think that your one of those Jeep nuts. Are you a Jeep nut like me? I love my Willys.
I am a Jeep nut, EggFulltimer, and retired Army (24yrs) call me whatever you want LOL! bet Ive heard it before! LOL.. nice Job! Flat.
Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ
Calud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #15

Utah
Dude, Jeeps are it. I have a 1944 Willys MB that I restored from the ground up. We are brothers...those Harley boys got nothin' on us!

I also like bikes, kayaks, and my wife is the bomb (aka way hot!)

Back on topic here...
Thanks for the notes on the rack. I wasn't really trying to convince anyone to put one on their camper - I can see you all like your boats on the car.

Be cool. (this is for you Donna...) Flat!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfendershop View Post
Be cool. (this is for you Donna...) Flat!
I'm going to call you STANLEY.... as in Flat Stanley. Anyone have kids that had that character in their past lives? Hey, he traveled too.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #17

Name: Richard
Trailer: uhaul ct-13
New Jersey
Registry
LOL I know you were joking!.. your right, jeep nuts are worse than Harley boyz, and the toys for our toy are more expensive.. (so hmmmm maybe they have it right?) haha. back on topic, that is a great idea, but I need the clearence as I boondock in deep woods at times where no one goes and it would just get hung up, I put my spot lights on the windshield with relocation brackets on the jeep because I have seen way too many jeepers with light racks bust there windshields from the stress of a tree branch hung up.. but if your not going into deep woods with a low canopy that is a great idea to keep your campout gear all in one tow package!
Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ
Calud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #18

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I LOVE THIS. I have been trying to figure out a way to carry my kayaks on my Cloud since I bought it. So far I just squeeze the two 8 footers (my kids) in the camper and mine goes on top of the Jeep. Your set up would be perfect for me. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Hi,
Does anyone else like to take their boats with them? We do. We have either 3 or 4 that we transport, so I built this rack for them. Admittedly, it looks a little silly - but works well. I have to bring a 4 foot ladder so I can reach to get the boats strapped on but its not a big problem.

I was adamant that the rack could be taken off with no trace of it having been there, in the event we sell the camper someday. It bolts to the frame with some big U bolts.

Here we're camped at Lake Powell in April.
Flat.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #19

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Kayaks on the top of a Trillium 4500

Quote:
Hi,
Flat.
Smart idea, reversible and safe. Welding on the thin Trillium 4500 frame would not be as safe as the U-bolts you used. Good way to protect resale value of both truck and RV. I don't see it as "looking silly". For such a light load with little wind resistance, this is a bright idea !

Thanks for sharing