Keep Original or RestoMod? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Keep original or Restomod?
Keep Original 3 27.27%
Restomod 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Hunter
Ohio
Registry
Keep Original or RestoMod?

I have a 1973 Hunter Compact II. Do more people look for all original restoration (as best as possible) or do they look for restomod with new things like the stove top, sinks, lights, custom paint, wheels etc.? I have seen a lot of them done both ways. Does it make sense to spend more on a restomod to increase the value? Wondering what everyone thinks about that.
Attached Thumbnails
CAMPER1.jpg  
Mfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Can't speak for anyone else, but I would look for something updated but not idiosyncratic. My priorities include: (1) functionality similar to original (galley, bed, dining), (2) good worksmanship, and (3) lightweight materials.

I doubt you will ever get all your investment back on a high end resto-mod, especially if you factor in your time. It would only be justified for yourself: if it gives you greater utility, enjoyment, and pride of ownership, and if you plan to keep and use the trailer a while.

I was looking for a third option in the survey: restoration (to original), renovation (updated with newer appliances and materials), resto-mod (totally custom).
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but I would look for something updated but not idiosyncratic. My priorities include: (1) functionality similar to original (galley, bed, dining), (2) good worksmanship, and (3) lightweight materials.

I doubt you will ever get all your investment back on a high end resto-mod, especially if you factor in your time. It would only be justified for yourself: if it gives you greater utility, enjoyment, and pride of ownership, and if you plan to keep and use the trailer a while.
I'm with Jon. I play with my toys. Campers, particularly, are not profit centers by nature, they are money pits and time wasters. Profit from the use and enjoyment. My angle is build what you'll want when you wake up that beautiful morning, hearing the birds chirping, and say to yourself "Boy am I glad I have _____ in my camper, life is good!"

I guess that means restomod. Also, lots of safety stuff is in the mix, like electrical, propane, ventilation, when you have humans asleep in the box. Restomod lets you have the latest to keep your precious cargo safely packed for the night.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
...and another thing.

That's a Neat-o Camper for sure!!! Love the lines of it with the top up.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I don't know, but I wonder whether the resale market might appreciate Jon's first two options: original or original with new appliances. I'd be more likely to go beyond that if I intended to use it, and resale was a secondary concern.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Mike, I like that kind of Trailer with twin beds on either side, walkway in middle that way I don't have to crawl over someone to get to the toilet! What I would do if I had this one is raise the stove up 4" so I can install either a oven below as my wife is non gluten, I got tired arguing with her over it if not a oven a taller slightly larger refrigerator, a proper furnace that is vented to the outside, Fantastic fan in the roof vent, make sure the brakes, axle, rims and tires all upgraded to a larger size to 5 bolt etc. stopping is a major for us. The other Major is the frame make sure it is A1 condition then go on from there. I would make the table into a permanent bed install a table at the bunk end for two. or if that did not work drop down to Ikea pick up a light folding round table made of tin same goes for 2-3 folding chairs extra for company.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Resto-Mod is a GREAT way to lighten your wallet. The more it is built to your taste, the bigger hit you will take on resale. I've seen trailers where someone spent a lot of money creating a Coca Cola motif. No thanks!

The best way to get value out of any such undertaking is to keep it and use it.

The value comes from making it functional, with everything in good shape and working. Beyond that you are no longer "making" money, you are spending money.

Hunter Compact II is a nice practical trailer, but they don't bring what a rebuilt Trillium or Boler will bring.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I think it comes down to individual choices, what works for you. When my kids were young I installed reading lights and a 12 volt outlet at each bunk so they could play their video games without a stack of double A's.
I installed a gravity furnace for winter camping because the forced air furnace ate my batteries.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:35 AM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
If the earlier-generation molded fiberglass trailers were beautiful inside with terrific workmanship, maybe that's a reason to restore to original, but in my 1980 Burro, it was ugly puke colored plaid cushion covers, heavy and hideous fiberboard cubby doors, and the whole thing generally had a "put together by angry drunks" feel to it. I made updates and improvements that matched my taste, needs, budget, and since my taste doesn't map too heavily onto "tacky" I doubt I'd have any problem selling at whatever point I decide to sell and upgrade to a bigger trailer. I am confident I will never get back all the money I put into the trailer in the renovation but that's okay, in the meantime I've got a rolling clubhouse that suits me and that I'm deliriously happy with.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrost View Post
I have a 1973 Hunter Compact II. Do more people look for all original restoration (as best as possible) or do they look for restomod with new things like the stove top, sinks, lights, custom paint, wheels etc.? I have seen a lot of them done both ways. Does it make sense to spend more on a restomod to increase the value? Wondering what everyone thinks about that.
Things of comfort like stove for cooking, sinks to wash in and do dishes, lights to see by nothing fancy though, toilet and fridge not an ice box. Good ventilation or A/C. Oven not necessary, we carry a toaster oven that bakes and is convection. Cheap at Walmart. Fancy wheels and paint is not functional on dirt roads since they could be damaged. So just be comfortable and functional. More people are looking for comfort.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think what you need to decide is whether you are planning on doing this as a business proposition. If that is your goal then the first step would be to talk to others in the forum who have pursued that as their business activity. There are some members in this forum who have done so. Some of them have retired from that and may be willing to pass along sensible advice on what to do and more importantly what not to do. Others are still active in the business. Marketing for the maximum return is also something you should discuss with them. Of course finding the trailers that are suitable for flipping is another acquired skill combined with some old fashioned lucky finds. Then later after you have developed a good reputation you will have word of mouth working for you.

Of course you also need a place to pursue the activity and it would work best if you have a barn like building with taller doors and ceiling. You need to be able to work in all kinds of weather or you won't have a steady income.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Do what pleases yourself. But set a budget and stick to it. Do good work, use good taste in your finished surfaces and the buyers will be there when you want to sell it. Anything that looks worn out, rusted up, stained, lumpy, etc should be replaced or refinished including hinges, knobs, latches, cushions, screens, flooring, etc. Those things are a huge turnoff unless the buyer is looking to buy a fixer which of course would need to have a fixer price on it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I am not most people, I am me.
Rare is it when I find that someone has done a restomod that I like everything they did.

I'm picky, I would rather have stock and make my own choices on what I do.

That's the rub, I'd rather buy a stock one and customize it myself but I won't buy a customized one.

Regardless of which way you go.
Document the process, especially if you are radically changing the interior and you plan on selling it.

My defualt thought when I see a redone interior I think; "hmm, redone, must have leaked or had a fire, or mold or all three"
and 95% of the time I'll walk away.

That said, if you are spending YOUR time working on an RV, don't do it for who you are going to sell it to, build it for you. It's like covering the furniture vs enjoying it. Sure it will last longer if you don't use and enjoy it, but why have it if you're not going to enjoy it. Of course you might enjoy the process of restoring it more than the process of camping in it, but that's a whole different ball of rat fur.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Donna wisely pointed out recently, that a big reason fiberglass manufacturers produce to order, & sell directly to the consumer, is that consumers do prefer their units individualized. I exaggerate to make a point, but who needs A/C in the arctic circle?

Restomod isn't so different. It just occurs later in the manufacturing process.

The dare I say restomod Scamp owned by the guy who sold the Nest Caravan prototype to Airstream was listed for sale here yesterday. I thought I saw a touch of the Nest in his Scamp, and vice versa. A synonym for restomod might be innovation.

The fiberglass segment of the travel trailer industry could probably use more innovation.

If Detroit was still peddling 1990 models, it might be a tough sell. So, I say break the molds!

But I forgot, these guys sell as many as they can make.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote