Keeping the Fridge cool - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I had some additional "luck" this weekend in keeping mine a bit cooler inside. I have those little lunch box sized Blue Ice thingies. I toss one in the freezer, when it is solid, I pull it out, put the inside fridge fan on top of it next to the freezer (so it blows the frozen air over it) and then toss the second one in to freeze. Keep rotating..

Old 07-05-2006, 05:04 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
Keep rotating..
OK, I'm getting dizzy, now...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #17

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Ontario
Cheers...Alistair

Thanx, Alistair, I'll give some serious consideration to that kind of set-up.

Here's to CTC !!

Joe/Peterborough
Old 07-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #18

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Boy do I feel stupid. Did not know much about these types of friges, so after a very hot camp trip and no cold air in the frige, I thought it had just gone bad. When I got back I was able to find a used one that I was able to get instaled. Works fine but I have been in much cooler weather. Wonder if I riped out a good frige only to instal another one

Hay Fredrick, I still have the old one if you are interested. It might be good,
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
I got My fridge back from an RV repair shop because I wanted to get it checked to see how it was performing and what the experts said. They said is wasn't poor, and it wasn't exceptional. It was satisfactory. On electrics, when it is 80F outside, The freezer works to -10F and food compartment works at 35F. On Gas the freezer works at -7F and the food compartment works at 38F. They suggested that to increase efficiency add a fan and improve air flow. I am pulling a Boler 17'. After sifting through the web, there are a number very informative sites explaining optimum fridge venting. I realized that the venting arrangement on my Boler really "sucks" by design.

If you are interested, take a look at this site.

http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/vent.htm

So I took the advise of the forum and added 2 - 3 inch computer fans to blow air through the top coil. These cost me $3.00 each at a surplus store called Princess Auto. They draw 0.1A apiece on 12 volts. I put a few baffles in to increase draft of air across the condensor and coils, and tried the best I could to streamline the airflow on the top using tin.

I like the idea of using a house thermostat to control the fans, but I am leary about the little mercury bouncing around and turning the fans on and off continually when I am travelling. I think having those fans run while I am towing and running the fridge on 12V will be crucial for efficient operation. The RV guys said I will be lucky to get 12V to just maintain the temperature while moving. No wonder many people run on gas while travelling.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #20
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
OK people! I have talked to a couple of others about installing computer fans for cooling. I am thinking of doing it also but how about some pictures guys. I would like to see where and how some of you have done yours. I imagne there are numerous ideas.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:36 AM   #21

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
OK people! I have talked to a couple of others about installing computer fans for cooling. I am thinking of doing it also but how about some pictures guys. I would like to see where and how some of you have done yours. I imagne there are numerous ideas.
Con,

The first thing to do is add baffling to direct the air flow across the condenser fins. These photos are of my Casita, but similar baffling will improve the efficiency in your camper.

Photo 1 shows the lower baffle. This directs the cooling air flow to the fins.

The second photo shows the upper baffle. This directs the hot air flow away from the back of the refrigerator and smooths the way for it to exhaust.

The baffling is aluminum flashing shaped to the task and attached to steel "L" brackets.

The third photo shows the fan installation in my first Casita. I chose to install it to exhaust the hot air from the top of the compartment. I suspect it makes little difference whether you install the fan to push from the bottom or pull form the top. I connected a thermostat to control the fan.

With the baffling in my current Casita, I have not yet needed a fan, but I can add one if needed later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle_aft.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	3849

Click image for larger version

Name:	600ventfan.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	3851
Attached Thumbnails
Baffle_top.jpg  
Old 07-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #22

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:

I like the idea of using a house thermostat to control the fans, but I am leary about the little mercury bouncing around and turning the fans on and off continually when I am travelling. I think having those fans run while I am towing and running the fridge on 12V will be crucial for efficient operation. The RV guys said I will be lucky to get 12V to just maintain the temperature while moving. No wonder many people run on gas while travelling.
KevinDR,

This may be a better choice for a thermostat:

Allied Elec
Old 07-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #23
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Thank you so much Morgan. I haven't delved into that area on our Boler yet so your pics are a big help. Derek Long in Kelowna tells me he installed 2 fans on his and made a lot of difference in the cooling. I think he said he paid $3 ea.

Tags
fridge