Keeping the Fridge cool - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro
I put as large a fridge in my Burro as I could cram in there, and put new vents outside,
but since I live in the south west on a 100 degre day the temp inside the gas fridge
would go up to maby 60 degres. I solved that by installing a 12 volt 5" computer fan
( $19.00 @ Circuit city )
inside the top vent to draw more fresh air through, I hooked in into a standard 24 volt
thermostat ($10.00 @ Home Dopt) that I mounted inside by the fridge, so now I can set the thermostat so the fan comes on whenever it gets to hot. Wayne

Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I need to do that. I was worried that my fridge was wearing out when it would only get down to 50* in Palm Springs 2 weekends ago. Now that the temps here in San Diego have come down, The fridge is cooling down to 30* and lower on high setting. It's the original 1978 fridge, and I don't want to spend the bucks to replace it.

It was just too hot in Palm Springs!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
For inside the fridge, I have a Camco fridge fan. It runs on 2 Ds for what they claim is 30 days.

They lie. I am STILL on my first set of batteries, and I got the thing in Novemeber, spent two weeks in the trailer straight, and have had many weekend outings since.

I actually just checked mine, it is still going after 4 days straight.

I need to get another one for exhaust. It's hot where I am right now and I might as well not have the fridge running. The freezer holds 2 cans of soda.. and it stays cold in there, but no where near freezing.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It IS amazing how much those little fridge fans do. Although I need to install one on the outside, the little battery powered one like Gina mentions is amazing. My first trip this spring found me with (finally) dead batteries. I was in a hurry so I thought I'd just do without this trip. An always-prepared good friend bailed me out with a couple of Ds and the temp dropped about 15 degrees. I have found that food and fan placement in the inside are also key to how cool the fridge will stay.

Oh, AND starting out with everything pre cooled.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We freeze gallon milk jugs in the home freezer, turn on the camper fridge a couple of days ahead of time, carry a camping cooler in the bed of the truck with ice and cold drinks, etc and migrate them to the fridge as required and This keeps from putting hot items in the fridge.

We keep the most perrishable items in the fridge.

It works really well.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
It IS amazing how much those little fridge fans do. Although I need to install one on the outside, the little battery powered one like Gina mentions is amazing. My first trip this spring found me with (finally) dead batteries. I was in a hurry so I thought I'd just do without this trip. An always-prepared good friend bailed me out with a couple of Ds and the temp dropped about 15 degrees. I have found that food and fan placement in the inside are also key to how cool the fridge will stay.

Oh, AND starting out with everything pre cooled.
I like that inside fan thing, Well here is a pix. of the Fridge in my Burro. Wayne

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3410
Old 06-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Great minds etc...Last year I added a Koolatron fan to the outside top vent just under the "hot" coils. No 'stat...justa manual toggle switch to use when outside temps soar and when the frig side is parked in heavy sun. Fan is 12 volt and brushless (silent) and 4" in frame. Got it at Canadian Tire in the RV aisle for about $20 Cdn...and it was worth ten times that on our SoCal safari this year. Alistair
Old 07-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #8

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I need to do that.
I finally got it done yesterday.

I experimented with the thermostat thingy (I had one in my workshop junk drawer). Mine was the wrong kind. It was for a Heater. To work properly, it should be one to control an Air Conditioner. I wound up using a switch.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Ontario
Quote:
Great minds etc...Last year I added a Koolatron fan to the outside top vent just under the "hot" coils. No 'stat...justa manual toggle switch to use when outside temps soar and when the frig side is parked in heavy sun. Fan is 12 volt and brushless (silent) and 4" in frame. Got it at Canadian Tire in the RV aisle for about $20 Cdn...and it was worth ten times that on our SoCal safari this year. Alistair
Hi Alistair
Very interested in your "booster" frig cooling mod...we also have a 73 Trillium. (no converter on board); where did you tap in to 12vpower? Where was toggle located... inside trailer, or accessible from outside compartment only ?
Also, can you give more details as to installation details... mounting, fan direction, etc? Any Photos available? Canadian Tire you said...alright !!
Joe
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My understanding is that the two most effective things one can do is install a thermostatically controlled fan in cooling vent (most fiberglass trailers seem to have the intake and exhaust vents in the side of the trailer, which is not as effective as an exhaust vent in the roof) and a circulation fan inside the fridge.

Go to www.campingworld.com and search "fridge fan" for some choices, even a solar powered model.

I would also add a lightweight plastic sheet across the front of the fridge (inside), covering the lower third or half, to keep the cold air from "spilling" out when the door is opened. Keeping a separate ice cooler for cold drinks allows the fridge to be used for food and not opened so much.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
I have a 16" Scamp SD with the fridge vent that goes out the top. I saw the solar fridge fan at camping world and wonder if anyone has installed one of these on their Scamp and if so do they have any pics they can post of the install?

Thanks;
Steve
Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
I have the solar fan but have not installed it yet. I was messing with it yesterday. The fan turns on in sun, off in no sun. It seems to work pretty good. It needs to be mounted facing up about 4 inches below the blades and it's very lightweight. I'll post pics as soon as I'm done.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Back at ya' Joseph. My Koolatron fan picks up juice from the feed just in front of the 3-way (gas/ 12v/110) rotaryswitch. We have a deep cycle battery in a case on the tongue and a "smart charger" (all from CTC!) for a poor man's boondock setup. The fan was bolted to an aluminum bracket and is a few inches from the lower edge of the top coil. The switch -also on an alum bracket- sits inside the louvered -fold up access panel. Very simple...little current draw...no noise...and it moves substantial air past the coil/fin. The 12 volt set up is charged by: 12 volt feed from tug /battery charger /15 watt solar panel clipped to the front window gravel guard.
No 'stat or limit switch or nuthin. Real simple &real cheap.
Cheers...Alistair
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 73 Boler
I did a fan mod the other day as my fridge was not getting cold enough. I had a 4 inch fan used to cool my amps in my mustang and decided i could use that. I wired it directly off a relay in my fridge so when my fridge turns on VIA thermostat the fan comes on also. When fridge turns off VIA thermostat my fan turns off. It helped cool my fridge an extra 10 degrees. I think the thermostat in my fridge is wonky though as the fridge shuts off when it gets to 40 degrees. I have it set to the coldest setting and the fridge will still turn off at 40. I will pull the thermostat apart when i get some time and see if i can adjust it. The saga continues.....

Tags
fridge