Kijaro Versa Shade Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: RV
Trailer: Casita SD17
Florida
Kijaro Versa Shade Awning

Here is how I installed a Kijaro Versa Shade as an awning on my 17' Casita Travel Trailer for less than $120. Here is a link to the Kijaro Versa Shade http://kijaro.com/products/shade/versa-shade/

Notice the picture of all the materials and tools needed. A Kijaro Versa Shade, four PVC Suction Hooks - two on top of the Travel Trailer (TT) and two for pole supports at the bottom of the TT, an 8' stick of 3/4¨ CPVC pipe cut into two pieces that fit into the Kiljaro bag, add a 3/4¨ CPVC Coupling, then cut a small piece of 3/4" CPVC pipe into a length to level the awning. The only tool needed was a PVC pipe cutter. Paint the CPVC pipe black for a nicely matching pole.

Kijaro also provides four stakes and two ropes to anchor the Versa Shade on windy days. I may add two small stainless steel clamps to the Kijaro poles to support the CPVC pole extension. Right now, the CPVC is held by the velcro attached to the Kijaro poles.

It fits nicely on a 17' Casita using the 11' side. It would probably fit nicely on a smaller FGRV using the 7' side. I will be testing it out while camping this weekend. The whole awning with my added parts fits nicely into Kijaro's 26¨x 6¨ x 6¨ bag (included) that weighs only 10lbs and is easily stowed inside a TT compartment!
Attached Thumbnails
kijarofront.jpg   kijaroback.jpg  

kijaroside.jpg   kijaroparts.jpg  

Fun Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What a unique awning! It seems to be very practical in that it fits in a small carry bag, lacks the guy wires and legs that always seem to get in the way and it has a domed top that should perform well in the rain. The only downside as a "glamper", though, is it lacks vintage/cute/attraction appeal. I'd love to see it offered in red or in red and white stripes with fringe!
Many thanks for sharing this, new to me, awning!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I just checked out the Kijaru website and found that they also have clever camping chairs and a free-standing hammock and stand that fit in carry-bags. Check out the video for the awning. What clever inventors they are! In addition the awning can be set up 5 (or more) different ways for different functions. Upon reflection, I'm wondering if the grey color is actually sun-reflective silver color. THAT would be a real boon and perhaps trumps "cute" factor!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Q1: How long does it take to set up? Watching the video on Kijaro's site makes me think it would take long enough to set up that I might not bother with it most of the time.

Q2: How well do the suction cups hold? How long have you been using this arrangements and how well has it held up in light to moderate wind?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
I bought the Versa Shade and tried it out as a beach cabana on the ground, and debated about it. It is not silver heat reflective and the heat did build up under it to an uncomfortable level in full sun. I really wanted it to work though, and thought about how to do just what you are doing. I am looking at this with interest and can't wait to hear how you did with it camping. I may have to buy it again!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #6

Florida
I have not field tested this arrangement yet, but the suction cup hooks are very solid. You push them on and then flip the hook to clamp just like on a gps. I could put a lot of my weight on it and it held. I left it up overnight and it was still up in the morning, with no serious wind. I don't see putting it together as an issue, its pretty quick. Wind will be the next hurdle. I do know that 2# double stick tape hooks are not strong enough. Here is a closeup of the suction hooks I found at Ace Hardware. When its windy, I'm sure I'll need to add the lines and stakes. Field testing will be this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Kijarohooks.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
How did you attach the awning to the hooks on top of the trailer?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Florida
Kigaro has eyelet holes on all four corners. I just put the top hook at a 45 degree angle to the canvas and hook the eyelet. The poles go through the eyelets on the other side of the canvas and then the CPVC pipe hole drops into the bottom hook. The weight keeps everything hooked up. If the wind gets under the Kijaro, it'll probably lift and fall off. That is where the lines and stakes will be needed to hold weight down on the hooks.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Florida
Just got back from three days in the wild with my Kijaro Versa Shade mounted on Inter Design suction hooks. The awning stayed up all weekend with no issues. I did attach the guy wires. It rained Friday and Saturday, heavily at times, and everything stayed up. There were some strong wind gusts in one storm, but I was nestled in the trees and not much wind actually buffeted the awning. The Inter Design suction hooks appear to be strong enough for average weather and heavy rain. I still haven't tested the setup in a strong wind, but am satisfied if I'd only need to take it down for strong winds.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #10

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
That's great! Thank you for the report!!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning