Kitchen area space - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #15

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We have a Compact II with very little nice storage. We need some of it for other stuff. I found a dandy spice set at Cost Plus that has something for everybody. We also try to avoid frying inside, but otherwise use our tiny galley for three squares and snacks. I do a lot of canning anyway so it's easy to grab a few main course jars and add rice noodles or potatoes. We also serve a lot of sandwiches. We have an ice chest, not a fridge, so that is one really important consideration . The main thing is to plan out meals you enjoy, and plan to re provision as needed. That's part of the fun anyway.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
One of my favorite "niceties" while camping is a "pie iron". It is like a long-handled pie maker that can be used to bake over the campfire coals. Check out this website Welcome to Pie Iron.com - home of the original Rome sandwich cooker. It doesn't take up much room (I keep in the wheelwell closet in the SCAMP) and you can make heated sandwiches, bake cakes and pies, etc. I made a long, black drawstring bag to store it so soot does not get all over everything.
Happy Camping
Gilda

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
One of my favorite "niceties" while camping is a "pie iron". It is like a long-handled pie maker that can be used to bake over the campfire coals. Check out this website Welcome to Pie Iron.com - home of the original Rome sandwich cooker. It doesn't take up much room (I keep in the wheelwell closet in the SCAMP) and you can make heated sandwiches, bake cakes and pies, etc. I made a long, black drawstring bag to store it so soot does not get all over everything.
Happy Camping
Gilda
Gilda, I love my pie iron too. I've had it since I was a little kid and loved it then too. I need to find another one for the Scamp, since I keep my childhood iron at home because my grandkids expect their grill cheese sandwiches and apple pies when they come over. I know they have new ones, but I want another old one. They're just hard to beat.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Hazel, we too don't cook or do dishes in the camper. Water tank and plumbing have been removed. The sink is used for storage, cutting board over it, but TV usually sets there [we were out for 3 months in our Uhaul]. Two baskets on drawer slides mounted under the bed, which is left made up always. Shelves built in the closet. Access hole cut into storage space that was previously inaccessible, and we're thinking about removing the stove and building in a storage compartment there with a hinged lid. Camping World has plastic drawers that mount under a shelf or cabinet, we have one that is under a closet shelf. They may also be available at Amazon. We replaced the original icebox with a dorm fridge.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
Got to agree with Gilda, Pie Irons are great! We use ours on the camp stove as well as over the coals in the fire pit. We don't leave home without them.

Sandy C
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #20

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
This forum is such a helpful place - so many people sharing their thoughts and ideas.
Yup - pie irons we have.

I'm slowly developing a 'plan' for packing day - and then we do it..........pack and head out!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I finally converted my Trillium's closet to a pantry and solved all my kitchen storage problems. A few carefully placed coathooks here and there (combined with our indifference to wearing wrinkled clothing) took care of the displaced clothes we used to hang there.

Another thought:

You don't mention storage in the benches- are they only accessed via a top hatch? I ask because the dinette benches in my Trillium have a total of four drawers beneath.

Even the smaller 1300 (if that's what you have) would allow for the cutting of access doors through which you could put a couple of drawers or even just a box.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #22

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Yup - the benches are acessed by the top hatch. Hubby doesn't want to cut and install a hatch (I'm working on convincing him - but it won't be done for this spring). The walls and screens for the canopy will go in a bench under the bed. Also extra dried and canned food.

Our closet has shelves and will hold an assortment of stuff, including raingear, fleece vests and warm wool sweaters. Spare footwear gets chucked in the bottom and we'll go fishing for what we want.

Our Trillium is a 13 footer.