Kitchen area space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Kitchen area space

I've been doing some daydreaming about making some useful storage spaces in our Trillium. We don't cook or wash dishes inside so planned to cover that space with a flat counter. Today it crossed my mind that if we removed the sink, the plumbing and the stove top it MIGHT create some space inside the cupboard beneath.

So my questions are -
does anyone know how much space the plumbing takes up?
would there be enough space to cut a door into it to make a cupboard?
or maybe a drawer or two?

Tomorrow I'll be dragging hubby out to the camper to take a look but would love any thoughts you have!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hazel, Pictures of your kitchen would help. I don't remember if you have 1300, or a 4500. But, in general, I have found that there is quite a bit of wasted space in the kitchen of Trillium trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
That daydream isn't going to come to fruition. The kitchen set up has stove and sink on top - a drawer and fridge below the stovetop, and the furnace below the sink. That doesn't really leave any 'spare' cabinet front to cut out to access the inside. I confess to not being favourably impressed with the Trillium layout - but it is what we have and we'll figure out a way to get comfy in it!

Hubby is looking forward to getting some of the work done - today it snowed again. He will definitely be cutting some shelves for the closet - the upright strips are already installed. We're thinking of new flooring too - so many choices and options.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Here is a thought....

Make some 2 hinged ( at the rear) counter top surfaces that lift up to expose storage space underneath.....
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Remove it completely and rebuild.

Pictures would help.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm wondering why you NEVER cook or use the sink inside your trailer. Do you only travel in dry/warm weather? We USUALLY cook and wash dishes outdoors but appreciate that we can do these things in the trailer in cold or inclement weather. The Trillium appears to be similar to the SCAMP. I have attached photos of my 13' SCAMP kitchen area showing the storage. I use plastic shoe boxes from The Container Store. The Container Store > Our Shoe Boxes They fit nicely in the space, are stackable and are inexpensive. Basically, I follow the guidelines I learned from backpacking. Take what you need and leave the rest at home. Think about why you need more storage space.

Here's one idea... You could create a one-piece overlay with short legs that goes OVER the sink and stove thereby creating a large counter. You can remove it when you want to use the sink or stove. This suggestion will not create more room under the sink, however.

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 003.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 039.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 038.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 037.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 049.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Hi Gilda - we cook and wash dishes outside because we prefer it. We have a King Canopy, complete with wind walls and bug screening, and this provided plenty of protection even when we ran into a blizzard in northern Manitoba. It is only advancing age and creeping ailments that got us out of our small superb quality tent! (Mountain Equipment Co-Op)

Why we are trying to find storage spaces is because of the design of our trailer. What we have right now is -
the space beneath each bunk
the closet
a kitchen drawer
kitchen top cupboards
and a narrow FG shelf over the front bunk and rear bed. (When the bed is made I can't reach this shelf without climbing on the bed!)

We think we camp quite simply (at least compared to some.) No tv, microwave, convection oven, sound system or BBQ. So, a few pots, a cast iron frying pan, dishes and cutlery, cans and dry stuff in the car, with extras in a bunk base and fresh foods in the fridge.

I think I got spoiled by the Ventura we recently sold as it had a different layout and more cupboards I could easily access. The Ventura needed some facelifting and sprucing up that would take more time than hubby was prepared to provide. He is equally unwilling to spend much time on modifications to the Trillium.

I just threw out my daydreaming for consideration - thinking that someone may have knowldege about any available space in the kitchen area.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
One idea if you haven't done it already is to put an outside acess hatch on the curb side that allows you access to the large dinette seat (assuming you have that floorplan). You could put a roll out drawer that gives you easy access to food when you're cooking under/near the awning.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Saskatchewan
Good idea Otters. I'll keep suggesting that to hubby - but so far he isn't interested in doing that. Today he got the taps off and is preparing to make a flat wooden counter top. Likely we'll have quite a collection of plastic boxes stacked up on it holding our 'stuff'!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hazel--do you leave your table made up permanently into a bed or put it up and down nightly? if you leave it made up all the time, that space under the table is valuable storage. that's where we store alot of stuff. we use the closet for our clothes and toiletries (we've got 2 shelves there), the cupboards above the kitchen for our dishes and food and under the seat by the door is where we store our pots and pans.
as little as we do use the stovetop and sink, i'd not want to remove them...even if it meant more counter space.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Good idea Otters. I'll keep suggesting that to hubby - but so far he isn't interested in doing that. Today he got the taps off and is preparing to make a flat wooden counter top. Likely we'll have quite a collection of plastic boxes stacked up on it holding our 'stuff'!
Just keep working on him Hazel. Next trip pack lots of the kitchen items there, and use him to retrieve them each time you need something.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #12

Saskatchewan
There seem to be more ways to enjoy these little campers than enough. Cook in, cook out, a mix of both. Meals from scratch, prepared meals, cans and packets, eat out. Take the barest necessities, take a bunch of convenient items.

I forgot to mention that space under the bed Theresa. We shove some things back there and the front part has beds for our two furbabies.

Rarely needed items will go in the cubbies under the bunks. Also replacement food items (cans, porridge, rice etc).

It'll work out somehow!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Hi Gilda - we cook and wash dishes outside because we prefer it. We have a King Canopy, complete with wind walls and bug screening, and this provided plenty of protection even when we ran into a blizzard in northern Manitoba. It is only advancing age and creeping ailments that got us out of our small superb quality tent! (Mountain Equipment Co-Op)

Why we are trying to find storage spaces is because of the design of our trailer. What we have right now is -
the space beneath each bunk
the closet
a kitchen drawer
kitchen top cupboards
and a narrow FG shelf over the front bunk and rear bed. (When the bed is made I can't reach this shelf without climbing on the bed!)

We think we camp quite simply (at least compared to some.) No tv, microwave, convection oven, sound system or BBQ. So, a few pots, a cast iron frying pan, dishes and cutlery, cans and dry stuff in the car, with extras in a bunk base and fresh foods in the fridge.

I think I got spoiled by the Ventura we recently sold as it had a different layout and more cupboards I could easily access. The Ventura needed some facelifting and sprucing up that would take more time than hubby was prepared to provide. He is equally unwilling to spend much time on modifications to the Trillium.

I just threw out my daydreaming for consideration - thinking that someone may have knowldege about any available space in the kitchen area.
A couple thoughts for you.
Think about what you really need to cook with. How many pots, pans and skillets?
Check out backpacking stores for compact cooking equipment.
Look at everything you take and think about do you use it, could something else do the job just a well? Can it multitask?

I do most of the cooking when we're out in the trailer. Pots and pans:
1 griddle
1 small skillet (ceramic lined, wipes clean)
2 pot pot stack without handles. (Left over from backpacking) A pot lifter works well for handle and will work on either pot. Also the pots double as mixing bowls. (There's mulitasking)
A cutting board that doubles as a sink cover. (More multitasking)
These all fit easily under the sink. I forgot there's a compact drip coffee maker and a old coffee pot from the 1940 that's primarily used for heating water.

How many cooking utensils do you need? We carry a cooking spoon, a slotted spoon, and a spatula that's all I need. A fork doubles as a whisk. Since the skillet and the griddle are non-stick none of cooking utensils are metal.

Search through REI and Cabelas web sites for inspiration on how to minimize. Think about what you would do if you had to carry that stuff on your back. I've done it and been well fed and comfortable. With all the room there is in a trailer and in what ever tow it with, it shouldn't be a problem to be comfortable, prepare good meals, and generally enjoy the outdoors.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

Saskatchewan
Once upon a time, when I was young and more ambitious, I too carried my gear sometimes. Now I value a comfortable bed and a working fridge!

Preparing for a longer trip brought up the desire for some 'stuff' we wouldn't take for just a few nights. Laundry supplies, hobby gear, a wider range of herbs and spices, extra medications, extra staples like rice and oatmeal etc.

The practicalities are getting thought through at this stage. Traditionally we haven't lugged vast quantities of useless 'stuff' - but we do plan on being comfortable and having the things we want to assist with that.

Likely there are advantages and disadvanages to the various sizes and brands of trailer - I'm smiling because I've got one.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #15

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We have a Compact II with very little nice storage. We need some of it for other stuff. I found a dandy spice set at Cost Plus that has something for everybody. We also try to avoid frying inside, but otherwise use our tiny galley for three squares and snacks. I do a lot of canning anyway so it's easy to grab a few main course jars and add rice noodles or potatoes. We also serve a lot of sandwiches. We have an ice chest, not a fridge, so that is one really important consideration . The main thing is to plan out meals you enjoy, and plan to re provision as needed. That's part of the fun anyway.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
One of my favorite "niceties" while camping is a "pie iron". It is like a long-handled pie maker that can be used to bake over the campfire coals. Check out this website Welcome to Pie Iron.com - home of the original Rome sandwich cooker. It doesn't take up much room (I keep in the wheelwell closet in the SCAMP) and you can make heated sandwiches, bake cakes and pies, etc. I made a long, black drawstring bag to store it so soot does not get all over everything.
Happy Camping
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #17

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
One of my favorite "niceties" while camping is a "pie iron". It is like a long-handled pie maker that can be used to bake over the campfire coals. Check out this website Welcome to Pie Iron.com - home of the original Rome sandwich cooker. It doesn't take up much room (I keep in the wheelwell closet in the SCAMP) and you can make heated sandwiches, bake cakes and pies, etc. I made a long, black drawstring bag to store it so soot does not get all over everything.
Happy Camping
Gilda
Gilda, I love my pie iron too. I've had it since I was a little kid and loved it then too. I need to find another one for the Scamp, since I keep my childhood iron at home because my grandkids expect their grill cheese sandwiches and apple pies when they come over. I know they have new ones, but I want another old one. They're just hard to beat.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Hazel, we too don't cook or do dishes in the camper. Water tank and plumbing have been removed. The sink is used for storage, cutting board over it, but TV usually sets there [we were out for 3 months in our Uhaul]. Two baskets on drawer slides mounted under the bed, which is left made up always. Shelves built in the closet. Access hole cut into storage space that was previously inaccessible, and we're thinking about removing the stove and building in a storage compartment there with a hinged lid. Camping World has plastic drawers that mount under a shelf or cabinet, we have one that is under a closet shelf. They may also be available at Amazon. We replaced the original icebox with a dorm fridge.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Got to agree with Gilda, Pie Irons are great! We use ours on the camp stove as well as over the coals in the fire pit. We don't leave home without them.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Saskatchewan
This forum is such a helpful place - so many people sharing their thoughts and ideas.
Yup - pie irons we have.

I'm slowly developing a 'plan' for packing day - and then we do it..........pack and head out!