Kitchen--how to maximize space for cooking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I modified my stovetop cover so that it locks into the left cabinet drawer and can be used as extra counter space or a small dining table...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #22

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
The bed is very cozy and I like it. The bathroom and dinette are fine. Its the tiny sink and no counter that are vexing at the moment. Got to get creative!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Since we'll be rebuilding all our "furniture" and cabinets, we're considering making the galley several inches longer to start with, and possibly re-use the flip-up countertop that came with the trailer. We're also probably going to use only a microwave and possibly a butane stove for outside only...the power strip idea is super! (Well, ALL the ideas are super, YMMV!)
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #24

Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1451516597.053023.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	91413

Old 12-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #25

Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1451516840.458607.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	91414

Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #26

Georgia
So you can see, my fridge is a very nice size. If my fridge were smaller the top could be counter space. Atop the fridge is my microwave cabinet which is very convenient. Therefore I have very little counter space!

Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
One of the neat things Escape does is take the counter cutout for the sink & route a cove on the bottom so it fits as a sink cover. Something to consider if your are doing your own restoration.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Pix of 17B sink cover, with folding counter extension on left.
Attached Thumbnails
sink cover.jpg   17b kitchen counter.jpg  

Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Eat Out
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Eat Out
I don't think you mean outside!

I'm a fresh food eater. Counter space is primo to me A removeable cover on the stove and something that allows me to use the sink a bit is
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #31
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
One more easy thing

Sorry, Jen. I forgot my most important suggestion: I use a cookie cooling rack over the sink. The sink will still catch water from the faucet, but the rack makes a decent work surface.

I've posted this pic before...
Attached Images

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
SMEV makes a very nice flush mount cook top that has a hinged glass cover for when not in use. They also make a sink/cook top combo, but I felt the sink was way to small, so I went with this one for our Lil Snoozy.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01418.jpg   photo 3_4.JPG  

DSC01387.jpg   DSC01388.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #33

Georgia
Glenn, that's nice.

Floyd--how can one modify something or create something that locks onto a drawer? That's an idea, too.

David B yours is beautiful. My two burners seem to be elevated a bit. I am not sure if that would work on a SD but it's nice. That's a lot of counter space.

Donna D., me too. I cook with a crockpot (which could be set on the dinette), and make a lot of my own meals.

Mary that's a good idea, too, though if you look at my little sink, the drainer/metal colander plus cutting board sort of serves that purpose. Can cut, toss refuse into the colander, still run water. It's still really small!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:56 AM   #34

Georgia
Flush Mount Glass Top Stove vs. regular stove - Four Wheel Camper Discussions - Wander the West
Old 12-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #35

Georgia
This is too expensive for me right now just for convenience

SMEV PI8022US 2-Burner Hob Propane Cooktop w/ Glass Lid
Old 01-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #36

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Has anyone thought of using a single burner stove? We have been looking at the side burners for BBQ installations with some interest. We usually only really need one burner at a time and right now the three burner stovetop seems like a real space hog in our Compact II.

In addition I want to move the water spigot up the wall to give a little more clearance when dishwashing. We use a foot pump and did something similar on our sailboat which was also afflicted with a tiny sink.

I also have a cutting board that fits over the silverware drawer which adds a tiny bit more counter but really makes you pre think which utensils you will need!

Cooking in an egg is challenging. But we tend to do most of it outdoors.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Rich--is that thing over your stove? Did you make that? That would really help me if I could jerryrig something like that.
You can order one built to your dimensions from my website. Many add a cutting board and have a combo serving tray/cutting board.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0193.jpg   PICT0196.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #38

Georgia
I agree on a single burner stove, but for resale that worries me as others may want both burners.

I discovered if I open the cabinet door where the microwave is, it serves as a counter. And maybe they planned it that way as it has two wooden knobs that perfectly balance on the fridge top, giving it stability. Its still a small kitchen and getting something over the burners when not in use would help. Even a wooden cutting board would suffice.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #39

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I just checked my photos and unfortunately cannot find a pic of this, but I had cedar plywood left over from making shelves in my closet. I cut and sanded this to fit the silverware drawer top when pulled out of its recess. I then measured where little rubber "bumpers" should go to sit just inside the edges of the silverware drawer and screwed them in (4) to the bottom of the cedar ply. The "bumpers" (picked up at HD) allow the cedar ply to sit on top of the silverware drawer without moving. In the morning, I can put my coffee there, use as rest for a cell phone, or just extra space for whatever when I'm sleeping on the sofa and others have my dinette bed. I take no credit for the idea...I think I stole it from Floyd.

For the stove top, I stole another idea and went to Sam's Club and purchased a cookie sheet/pan which sits over the top of the stove nicely. I don't use it for prep, but because it offers a flat surface, it allows me to get items off the counter top to use it for prep. I bought little colored cutting boards at Wally (red for meats, green for veggies, blue for ?) that are flippy floppy material and cut on those either above the sink or on the counter itself. I modified the cutting board Scamp sells by adding those little bumpers mentioned above, and that keeps the board "still" on the sink top for cutting as well.

I cook most dinners outside on the grill, but breakfast and lunch are often inside the trailer. I guess I'm a person who doesn't mind the confined space, and takes pride and finds fun in finding new ways to be organized.

I bought command hooks to hang coffee cups on (under upper galley cabinets) and used zip ties to hang little red baskets to the iron sink supports, which I put spices and other doo dads in. All stolen ideas from this forum, and I am grateful for the inspiration!
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote