Kitchen or no kitchen? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #41

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Fusedlight- I have a 1.5 liter pressure cooker from Amazon made by Hawkins. Just big enough for split pea soup for two or quickly cooking dried black beans or cooking barley for Scotch broth. It doesn't have a pressure indicator and the East Indians who posted reviews on Amazon tie their cooking by the "whistles". I love my small pressure cooker a lot more than my 4 1/2 qt one! My review is somewhere on the Hawkins website.
If you remove your sink where will your 1 qt crockpot that is cooking while you are driving?
As per usual, I am late to the party but just thought I would mention those two items
Old 04-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #42

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We are doodling with redoing the galley area ( all almost 3 feet of it!) in our Compact II
My thoughts:
Make the sink more useable
For our camper that means moving the sink away from the back of the camper a couple of inches and moving the spigot up the in-leaning rear wall to increase clearance for filling pitchers and washing ( we have a foot pump and no 12v pump )

Get rid of unused burners
We have a three burner cooktop but rarely use more than one. We are looking at a BBQ side single burner with cover

It is helpful that we have had the camper for several years and have established in our minds what works and what doesn't for us.

For example, we went to a full time bed. If we need to eat inside we have a large cutting board that fits over a drawer to make a table, and a small folding chair. One of us sits on the edge of the bed.

We also took out the uninsulated built in ice chest to make a dresser . We keep the cooler in the truck ( why ask the Bears to join you for dinner?)

I am always amazed at learning how other people come up with ways to solve problems I also have. Sharing our solutions is always fun , entertaining and useful!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #43

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We're always interested in solutions that make things simpler...we, too, are considering a full-time bed, and have really wondered how, in these trailers with 3-burner ranges, you manage to use all 3 unless you have one BIG cooking vessel. They're too close together--our campstove had 2 burners, too close together for our cast-iron skillet plus anything else.

Have never used a pressure cooker, BUT are considering just a microwave, as we make so many things in ours here...cakes, omelets, even bacon, stews, etc.

We want things to be streamlined and simple...home is for elaborate and complicated. Camping is for enjoying and relaxing.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If one doesn't want to sleep in the rain , then why would one want to cook in the rain ? . A lot has to do where you live and camp . If you live /camp in the desert then it may work but in our area it would not be practical.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Kitchen or no kitchen?

One might just as easily ask, if I don't cook in my bedroom at home, why would I cook in my bedroom when I camp?

I do see a point in having a back-up option for inclement weather, but I would choose quick heat, simple menus for inside cooking, for which a single burner would suffice.

Denece's suggestion makes perfect sense to me, but hey, we're all different!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote