Kitchen Pain Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Kitchen Pain Question

OK, so I wasnt going to do it, but the refrigerator door is just too banged up, and my stove has some scratches down to the metal and some stress marks.

So looks like I am going to have to do some repainting in the kitchen.

It is that hideous 70's golden sun color ("little-orange-ish-yellow-ish-maybe-browned-with-age-ish" color) you all know what I am talking about.

I dont even know if I can match the paint, but the next question is, what is better, BBQ paint for stove tops, or Engine emamel?

Any tips, suggestoins, PMS colors, photos, horror stories. etc??

Thanks. jimbo

yes they are the same color-ish (different lighting)
Attached Thumbnails
stove_resize.JPG   sink n faucet_resize.JPG  

Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Can't help with the "how to' but the color is called "Harvest Gold" if memory serves...
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave
Can't help with the "how to' but the color is called "Harvest Gold" if memory serves...
Thanks Dave!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Years ago, there wss something called appliance enamel. We painted our fridge with it one time. It seems like something like this would work for you AND you could change the color.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #5

Name: Edward
Trailer: 83 Burro
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Thanks Dave!!!
You can buy appliance paint at your local Menard's or Home Depot- it dries to a hardened finish and is very smooth. I believe it is made by Rustoleum. I have painted appliances, but also trailer frames-comes out looking like it's baked on. Won't be available in Harvest Gold.
Edward83burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You should be able to loosen the frame around the frig door and slide out the door panel. You can then either replace with something else (formica, aluminum, stainless, etc.), flip the panel over and paint it, or put "contact" paper on it in your choice of colors/designs. I believe Home Depot sells an aluminum contact paper-type. Lots of easy choices. The hard part is making the choice....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The PO of my trailer painted the stove top with some type of appliance paint and after a couple of years it started to come off. If you are wanting something to last check your yellow pages for companies that professionally paint appliances - its a heat process they use that makes it last. The cost for a stove top should be under $50.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

California
Registry
Thanks Dave and Edward, this may be what I do for the door, however I may just leave the stove as is, since the chips are near the burner, and I may just live with the stress marks. Carol, thanks for the tip, I wonder if it was just bad prep work, and the heat that is making it come off, and Donna thanks for the tip, I already have the door apart, and am thinking about using the same laminate I am going to use for my table and drawer fronts for the front of the fridge, Pull the name plate off and reapply it, and voila.

I am still looking for a brake, or engine color and if i find something I will let you all know.

Oh and Carol, thanks for that tip, I was curious what that costs, even thought about a bathtub refinishing place. . .

oh, the options.

Love this community!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Carol, thanks for the tip, I wonder if it was just bad prep work, and the heat that is making it come off,
Oh and Carol, thanks for that tip, I was curious what that costs, even thought about a bathtub refinishing place. . .
!
In the case of my stove top that had been redone by PO owner - he actually did a pretty good job on it and as I said it did last awhile - but it did start after a year or so of use to bubble up around the burners which was from the heat - thus the reason why the pros use heat to bake the paint on so that doesnt happen.

A bathroom refinishing place would be able to do your sink but I think you can buy a do it yourself product for that..... it may work better than the stove paint products as your not dealing with the same heat issue that you are with the stove paint.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The PO of my trailer painted the stove top with some type of appliance paint and after a couple of years it started to come off. If you are wanting something to last check your yellow pages for companies that professionally paint appliances - its a heat process they use that makes it last. The cost for a stove top should be under $50.

Totally recommend this process. My brother and sister in-law had a old stove (like Great Grandma cooked on) done years ago. It came out beautiful and is still holding up.

I was also going to recommend your sink being done by a tub refinisher. We had a old cast iron tub done years ago (mostly cause no one wanted to try and remove it and get it down stairs) it was heavy and huge! So we had it re-finished and it came out beautiful and last time I saw it (year or so ago) it was still looking great! And that big old tub really wasn't that much to re-do. So I can't imagine a lil sink being to expensive. I have painted bathroom tile, but a sink that gets so much use might be a disaster waiting to happen.

Would love to see pic's of your fridge when you get it finished.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Are you sure that black on the stove is metal showing? In the picture it looks like burned on gunk to me, hard to tell if it's recessed or raised. I'd take some oven cleaner to it. As for the fridge it's easy as people have said to replace the panel.

Magic Erasers do a great job of cleaning up gunk off of fiberglass and other trailer surfaces.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
personaly i would used epoxy based spray enamel.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #13

California
Registry
Hi Lizbeth,

Yes you are correct, that was a work in progress photo, the gunk is gone. Bissell oven cleaner spray did the trick, but there are black knicks maybe 1/2" x 1/3" here and there.

John any ideas where to get the enamel.

Robin, I will post pix and luckily the sink does not need to be done, but if it did I would either find a replacement, i am sure there are tons, or get it refinished.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ace hardware, home depot. they may even point you to some of the new appliance refinishing products. they are much better then stuff they had even a few years ago.
or you might want to look at new stuff. a stainless stove top insert and a stainless bar sink might look pretty spiffy.

and don't ask me how old i am that i still use words like "spiffy"
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #15

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
The stove on my 82 Scamp looked pretty sad,so I got some high temp spray paint and primer,and even the only color available was black,it does look rather "spiffy".
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
I looked but couldn't find an old thread I recall about a remodel job where the person had taken the stove to a professional appliance refinisher. She wanted some custom colour, as I recall.

It was either re-enameled or powdercoated, I don' know, but was pretty nice.

I don't recall that the price made me cringe either.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #17

California
Registry
Thanks Dave. Was it the lady that had "brown" and now it's all turquoise? I remember that on a non-fiberglass site. Thanks and if you find the one you're thinking a out please let me know. Dont knock yourself out but if you "happen across" it. Please do. Cheers
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Powder coating? There's this: Stove Top Replacement and http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cts-25552.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
ace hardware, home depot. they may even point you to some of the new appliance refinishing products. they are much better then stuff they had even a few years ago.
or you might want to look at new stuff. a stainless stove top insert and a stainless bar sink might look pretty spiffy.

and don't ask me how old i am that i still use words like "spiffy"
@john, "spiffy" never goes out of style!!

@jimbo... if you ever replace this sink, shoot me a PM! I'd dig a vintage sink.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #20

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
My Uncle owns a powder coating company & did our frame, stove & sink, vents etc. & although I am definitely biased powder coating worked out well.

We could have gotten identical pea green but opted for a slightly updated shade & they hold up extremely well. Ours was all done free and he wouldn't tell me the cost, but, I believe it's really reasonable for the quality. The bonus is that a bigger powder coating company can match any colour. The coating lasts for a very long time, so it ends up being worth it. My two cents! Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2227437142.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	45352

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1353336386.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	45353
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote