Kreg jigs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
Kreg jigs

I am thinking of replacing the composite board in my 16' Casista. Has anyone ever used a Kreg's jig to make corners, joining boards together etc
Kreg Jigs

This seems an easy way to go
Any comments
Ed in Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Ed, I haven't used the jigs but have come close many times to buy some. I think that they would be great, and I'll end up with one at some point.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I used the Kreg jig (Jr., I think, the one with two places to drill, not the big fancy one) to join just about everything when building my teardrop trailer (still not completed, but I'm getting there). My finish carpentry skills are pretty elementary and the jig seemed to accept my lack of skill. (Please be gentle with your comments on that.)
Pics shows spars joined to sides, and vertical plywood attached to horizontal plywood. It takes a little thought to work out where the Kreg holes will be hidden or visible. And the driver bit is very long so I had to plan which piece joined which first, but then I was dealing with many angled layers.
Attached Thumbnails
kreg1.jpg   GalleyKreg.jpg  

Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have one. It is worth the money. I do suggest you still glue the joint and then use the screws for added support and strength. Definitely a strong option.
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Ed If you mean replacing the existing cabinet doors, with stile and rail doors, the jig can be used,,,, but the holes drilled to allow the screws to be put in place, will be very visible when the doors are opened. The holes could be filled with Bondo, then paint over the area where the holes have been filled. Using dowels or biscuits to form the corners is another way to join butt joint assemblies together. Kreg jigs are a very special method of making cabinets and cabinet face frames where the holes are not visible, or they do not interfere with assembly. I own this Jig and have used it often as a cabinet maker. One can make new doors with a bit more expense with coping and sticking router bits, that would make a detailed edge, then use light weight 1/4" inset center panel.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This is an outstanding product that works as stated. Be sure to use their screws and you can get wooden PLUGS to put in the hole should you want to use them.

Absolutely anyone can use this product right out of the box.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Absolutely great tool. I have the least expensive one and it works well. Use their screws as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I use them all the time and as has already been said they are exactly as advertised.
This is no small thing either as a lot of tools are more talk than substance but the Kreg System is the real deal from my experience.

The other often touted but deserving tools I use a lot are the Fein MultiMaster and Little Giant Ladders,please don't get me started on ladders!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Kreg system

I agree with the above comments: a great tool, that surpasses expectations, and is pretty simple to use, to boot. Using wood glue or a strong adhesive of your choice compounds the joint. Like they said, use the Kreg screws. I have the Jr. set.

Creates a very strong bond.

Fran
1974 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It's a very useful tool and works as advertised. I keep a fancy Kit in my truck that gets used frequently. It works great for modifying or constructing face frames. The various Kreg clamps add versatility and hold the work pieces flush. Rockler puts the kits on sale often.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote