Large solar panel on a small egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #1

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Large solar panel on a small egg

I did an solar panel/battery/ 3 zones led install on friends cargo trailer for his company this weeekend. We bought 2 90w panel but installed only one on his trailer...
As a gift for helping him, my friend gave me the second 90w panel(it was his plan from the start)

Now i'd like to install it on my uhaul ct13 but the panel is quite large(22" x 47")... I dont want a removable setup that i have to take out, i want it permanent.
If I install it towards the back where the current one is, it will extend out back a little bit.

I could also install it sideways, it would look like a wing, but i'm concern about how the wind would catch it.

Who has installed a large solar panel on their small egg ?
How did you set them up?

Any pictures would be appreciated..
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I can't get to my photo right now, but you can click onto my avatar and go to albums of mods, and see the set-up we had. I have since sold the trailer, but what I found was that if I pointed the solar panel toward the south, I never had to adjust the angle at anytime of the year to keep our group 27 battery topped off.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Quebec
Hi David
I had the same idea(rock guard style mount) but i would place at at the back of the uhaul to serve as a water diverser to pave the rear window open during rainy days.
That said i'm concern about getting it stolen in installed that way...
Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Initially I tried to install ours over the rear window, to use as you have described, but the roundnes or curvature of the rear of the trailer wouldn't allow it, unless the ends really stuck out away from the body.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
My solar panel is 100 watts and I think about 45 inches long. Seems to fit well on my Scamp 13. Probably not so good if you have roof AC. Works really well keeping the group 27 topped off. I think I may add some flashing on the leading edge to smooth the airflow.

Good luck, john

Picture is from Joshua Tree National Park last month.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

Quebec
John you are lucky, you vent is all the way at the back..mine is dead center! Thats why i'm looking for a solution
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #7

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Can you put it over the vent. That will keep the rain out but block light.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #8

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Can you put it over the vent. That will keep the rain out but block light.
I'm exploring that possibility at the moment,
The plan would be to remove the vent cover and build a frame to put the solar panel over the "hatch vent". The panel would be a good 6" up, i dont mond loosing the light coming from the vent...
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #9

Connecticut
Solar power is a bit like growing your own vegetables. It's enormously satisfying. It's like getting something for nothing. Very little work is involved, and you reap the reward later.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
John you are lucky, you vent is all the way at the back..mine is dead center! Thats why i'm looking for a solution
You could consider swapping your large panel for two smaller ones, though I expect there would be an increased cost and twice the mounting hassle.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I know you stated a roof mount was your desire but what about slightly portable with a rear bumper mount? You would not get much charge driving down the road but probably as much as you would from a rock guard install.

Could possibly make it so it swings up like a rock guard, or unlocks/detaches to put out in a better location/angle.

Rear bumper seems like it would offer some solid mounting options, options with enough strength to secure your panel from walking off. Not much wind drag either.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #12

Quebec
Interresting idea, but the bumper is already full with spare tire, toolbox and bike rack...might aswell do the rock guard setup.

I'm thiking more and more that the wing style if done right,should work...i also found good alu pieces if i decide to go top of the vent...illl study the problem again tonite.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Have you considered the gravel shield? A lot of people have had success with that.

mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #14

Quebec
My main concern on the gravel guard setups is to have the panel stolen or broken (vandalism) since its easily accessible.

Thanks all for the good suggestions, keep them coming!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I guess theft is always a possibility. I don't think many have had a problem with theft of solar panels. Might be more of a problem if your trailer is stored or you tend to make day trips leaving the camper unattended in rustic locations without other campers about.

Think if they have to use tools to steal it making them bring a step stool is not that much additional burden.

Suppose if one had a bolt hole with a lock in it that would make it harder to remove. Or even just an odd ball fastener like torx would be enough to slow them down.

Good to know your getting excellent use of that back bumper :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
There are thin-film peel-and-stick panels that are designed for curved surfaces. Easy install with no drilling. This panel is made by Apollo Solar.

mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #17

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I have two panels that are 120watt each (I think) on my EggCamper. I had couple pictures close up just to show how they fit but must have deleted them. So here are a couple wide shots that I hope shows them well enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397573857.964941.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	69903
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397573988.415652.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	69904

Jason

Sent from my iPhone
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #18

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcwhort View Post
There are thin-film peel-and-stick panels that are designed for curved surfaces. Easy install with no drilling. This panel is made by Apollo Solar.

Very cool.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #19

Quebec
The more i look at it, the more i think i will go with the rock guard style mount, i found a very interresting platic hinge that will make a good seal on top of the panel...that should divert rain properly.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #20

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Roof mount

If your vent is in the middle then you should have space behind it for the panel. Here is a link to my forum showing pictures of my mount. Pretty simple with some angle brackets and long bolts. I wish I had used longer bolts in back so it would be flatter since it slopes down a little more than anticipated. Never been an issue getting enough power.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-49478.html
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel