Larger Frig in 13' Scamp and other Kitchen Modifications - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #21

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
curtain rod how to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Donna,

I did in fact use the real small rods that were on the door window. They are the straight ones with a hole on each end. I also used the hanger that was there and fastened it to the top of each side of the new window frame with a screw. There is a screw at the top end of the window frame that holds it together, so you have to drill the hole for the hanger back a bit to stay away from it.

An important note, you should fasten the hanger first and then measure the length of the curtains, unlike me who made the curtains, then tried to hang them. I turned out they were a little too long. I sure was not going to redo them, so I had to raise the hanger and use only the bottom hole in it. I then bent over the top part. It is soft brass, so no difficulty bending them.

There was one advantage to the mistake though in that the curtains are positioned higher to the very top of the window frame so they fully cover the frame edges and screws. I took a close up of the hanger from the side that kind of makes it look crude, but the curtains actually cover everything well. It is tight up under the top cabinets so nobody will see nuttin.

On the other hand, there is nothing to keep you from using the larger rods and just extending them out to the sides a little further, as with all the other window curtains.

Photos are attached to illustrate the hanger both straight when drilled, and also when the top part is bent back over.

I then replaced the rod on the door with a top and bottom rod of the exact same style as Scamp used for all the other windows. I just cut them to shorten them to fit the width of the door. I now keeps them from flying around when the door is open.
Brilllliant Scamper Jim!!! Such great up close photo's too...that's going to be SO helpful!!So appreciate your help!!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
An update on the kitchen project

I have finished making all the changes I could think of to make the kitchen more handy and am posting some pics of what I did last summer.

Removed the upper cabinet, eliminated the rivets, and glassed in short pieces of 1 x 2’s for new support.

Cut and modified the openings in the upper cabinet. Changed the cabinet doors to lift-up style and installed roll-out drawers. I left the far right one for taller type food boxes.

Put a metal support bracket on the right side of the upper cabinet

Installed new style lighting fixtures

Made a removable work board for the left end of the cabinet for more food prep area.

Put in the refrigerator door wood insert

Painted all the door in the camper a yellow/gold color
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen done.jpg   Kitchen Upper cabinet 004.jpg  

Kitchen Upper cabinet 006.jpg  
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Removable Food Prep Work Board

This is a removable cutting board I attached to the end of the counter to serve as a food prep work area. It is cantilevered past the end so there is still easy access to the sink when set up.

It is supported with the locking rail on the counter and a support rod from below that prevents the board from raising up if it is bumped. The rod just folds down and the board placed back over the sink when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp 006.jpg   Scamp 005.jpg  

Scamp 036.jpg  
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Very nice Jim! Love the slide out upper cabinets!

Tags
scamp