With the counter being raised 2 inches, and with the drain on the SMEV sink now at the back of the bowl and not at the side, there was enough room for the new silverware drawer. It just needed that cut-out to clear the drain so I could go back further on the sides. The drawer is a lot deeper so I can actually put larger cooking utensils in it and not have them catch on the top as it did with the old drawer if you put in anything over two forks high! It also slides out real nice on the new rails, no wood and aluminum sliders that bind and take two hands to open. The only thing I used from the old drawer is the catch that is needed now otherwise it opens so easily when traveling if not latched.
I usually work with sheet steel cutting it on the CNC plasma cutter, with a gas cutting torch, and then using the MIG welder. However, when I found out what it would cost to redo the cushions and curtains in the camper, I decided to see if I could in any way sew them myself. Like many of my new hobbies, I just bought what I though I needed and proceeded to make a lot of waste until I got it right.
I went to the flee market and bought a fairly new Necchi sewing machine with bells and whistles for $30, and it even had an instruction manual. Bought some sewing books that showed how to sew curtains, watched some U-tube vids on it, bought some material and a bunch of sewing accessories (had no idea if I needed them or not but they looked like they be useful), and started sewing. After a lot of experimenting, the lines started looking fairly decent and even straight. Was really fun trying the various sewing patterns, widths, lengths, etc. Had to ignore 99% of the other terminology related to sewing to keep from incurring brain damage.
It wasn’t too long before I realized that I was actually making something and it was very satisfying to see it actually happening. It is much like seeing a welding project come together some nice clean lines shaped in the steel and cut, and then welding them up for a useful project.
Curtains have to be the best type of project to do. It has just straight, simple, easy lines to work with, not difficult to screw up.
I used 1.5” border on the sides, and 2 inches on the top and bottom for the rod. Use a yardstick and lay out all the sides with a “disappearing ink” sewing pen.
Zig-zag all the edges first as the fabric has a coarse thread and would unravel.
Then fold over and iron each of the folds. They hold a crease real well so don’t have to pin it if you keep it lined up when ironing.
Then just sew them. Be sure to sew the sides first and then fold over the top and bottom to sew. That way you leave the top open for the rod otherwise you will have to take out the threads to get it in. Don’t ask me how I know that!
It’s just another skill learned and used in the process of making the Scamp
as I would like it, much like fiberglassing, painting
, welding on the new axle
, installing lighting
, installing water lines, pumps, etc. The list is endless and that’s what makes working on it so interesting.